Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I want to watch a good action movie that has zero cg blood and no computerized color correction. The more squibs the better. Please assume I have seen all the obvious top grossing ones. Bonus if it's on Netflix but it's not a necessity. Ideally not a racist power fantasy either.

What about Ringo Lam’s Full Contact? Killer cast and great action. It’s no Robocop but plenty of blood. There’s a little bit of misogyny and homophobia but not too bad compared to the Hong Kong standards of the time. It’s a fun bit of violent hyper-masculine bullshit.

https://youtu.be/oICHP1cTMgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I asked this in the previous thread and got great results, so I figure I'd give it another go around: what are some films soaked in the joy and heartache and passion and self-destruction of youth? Last time I got Badlands, Streets of Fire, and Punishment Room out of it all of which felt perfect.

It doesn't really hit the self-destruction part, but Linda Linda Linda has just about everything else I want out of a movie about youth. Really nails that high school feeling and is just a very nice and pleasant movie to watch. Also a great movie about being young and in a band.

Ornithology posted:

Any ideas for lesser known dark crime thrillers/mysteries? Bonus points if it has a neo-noir feel. I'm thinking in the vein of Memento, Seven, Prisoners, maybe Zodiac? I've seen all the popular Korean ones too.

Have you seen Cure? Just saw it recently and it's easily my favorite of the serial killer procedural/horror genre.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

El Graplurado posted:

Bi Gan (Kaili Blues, Long Days Journey into Night)

Seconding this

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Flowers of Shanghai is very slow, and suffers from a lovely home video release too. It should be a beautiful film, but that dvd is very ugly. I could see someone having a hard time with it, but still think it's worthwhile. Probably best if you're already into slower cinema and somewhat familiar with Chinese brothel period dramas.

My personal intro to Hou Hsio-hsien was The Assassin. It's easy to see and as long as you're not expecting an action flick I think it's amazing. If you're already interested in Hou it should be a great entry point. After that I came across this review of Millenium Mambo, and that movie is not only great, but sort of came along at the perfect time in my life and is still easily my favorite of his so far. A City of Sadness has definitely earned its reputation, Daughter of the Nile is quite good too. Personally I liked all of Three Times, even the boring parts. Think that's all I've seen so far. I have the Masters of Cinema Early Hou set, but haven't watched any just yet. I think The Boys from Fengkuei is supposed to be the best of those.

And speaking of The Puppetmaster, haven't watched it yet, but I love that someone added this poster to tmdb:

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Looking for dreamy, nightmarish, Lynchian horror movies. It's a really specific request, but I love stories where a character passes from the real world into a dream/purgatory/whatever. Things like Jacob's Ladder, Inland Empire, As Above So Below, the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Channel Zero, Baskin, etc.

Messiah of Evil is a super dreamy nightmare that gives me a similar feeling to Lynch's movies.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

A few more:

Demons

You know, I never really thought of Demons as a samurai movie, but I guess it does have some pretty sweet katana action.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I want something with fog, sweaters, seaside, and maybe a fishing village. Ideally something spooky, but not necessarily. Perhaps a melancholic atmosphere, but not necessarily.

Already seen but would fit the bill: The Lighthouse, The Fog, The Wicker Man, and a bunch of BBC folk horror.

Messiah of Evil

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

massive spider posted:

I’m looking for a “self destructive youth” movie. Think Trainspotting or similar.

Millenium Mambo

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

morestuff posted:

Just watched Shoplifters and wanted to dig deeper into Hirokazu Koreeda's catalog. Where to? Obviously bonus if it's easily available in the US, rental is fine

I haven’t seen Shoplifters but Still Walking is on criterion and easy to see I liked that one. Air Doll is a deeper cut that is also good. Watch Nobody Knows if you want to feel bad

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Johnnie To and Sylvia Chang’s Office might have enough of what you’re looking for. It’s definitely got a great constructed set and is streaming on prime video in the us.

https://youtu.be/xvnM6wjBp64

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Alternative Christmas movies? Stuff that takes place on/around Christmas but isn't about Christmas? The more offbeat or away from traditional Christmas movies, the better. Only caveat: no horror.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

I haven't watched a lot of good movies since a couple years back when I had several cinephile roommates, but I'm looking to scratch that itch again. Can anyone recommend any good recent Body Horror flicks (or at least post-1990)? Videodrome is my favorite movie of all time, and I want more of that energy in my life.

Tetsuo 2. Tokyo Fist

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for good movies set substantially in Denver or Seattle (not Sleepless in Seattle pls)

The Changeling. Replicant (if you’re ok with set in Seattle but shot in Vancouver)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

My request is vague and highly subjective but: can anyone recommended some really 'stylized' crime films? Things that I enjoyed that come to mind: Drive, Thief, Manhunter, Nightcrawler.

PTU, The Mission, Exiled, Running Out of Time, Sparrow, The Longest Nite

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

King Hu's post A Touch of Zen 70s films are all great and underseen. The Fate of Lee Khan, Legend of the Mountain, Raining in the Mountain. Those three have also gotten good quality recent restorations. If you're into girl gang exploitation movies I liked Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom quite a bit, and there's The Transgressor/School of the Holy Beast on the nunsploitation side of things.

Heavy Metal posted:

Rock 'n' Roll High School, this movie rules and only has 9.7k on imdb, we gotta raise these numbers.

This movie does indeed rule

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The Human Condition
Fires on the Plain (1959)
Fires on the Plain (2014)
Hanagatami
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The Human Condition

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

this is not Bollywood, this is just a straight gently caress-yeah movie on par with Fury Road

Well, yeah. It's Telugu cinema which is definitely Not Bollywood

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Hard to be a God

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

thehandtruck posted:

I hadn't seen many Bollywood movies or taken any seriously but then I saw RRR and it was incredible. Any suggestions for great Bollywood movies, can be totally over the top like RRR or "good".

You could check out some of S. S. Rajamouli's previous films. Baahubali (esp part two) and Eega are great. Sarpatta Parambarai is a recent Tamil film I quite liked and it's on Prime in 4k. KGF Chapters 1 and 2 are definitely over the top and macho but I enjoyed them.

For actual Bollywood there's always the American just getting into Bollywood starter pack of SRK movies. Stuff like Dil Se.., Om Shanti Om, Main Hoon Na are all great. Criterion Channel had some Mani Kaul films but they just left, so not as easily streamed unless you have Mubi, but Duvidha rules.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about fighters/boxers/wrestlers that focus on redemption or comebacks

Some of what I've enjoyed:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

and of course the Rocky movies. Foreign films are welcome but I'm not looking for Bruce Lee/Ip Man style choreographed martial arts, more slugfests

I’ll second the Undisputed series, fun movies.

https://boxd.it/tX36 Sarpatta Parambarai is one I liked a lot. Takes a while to get to the comeback part and the hero’s downfall is a little bit tedious but it’s otherwise fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/Sarpatta-Par...ps%2C157&sr=8-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for fun uplifting/cathartic anti-colonialist movies in the style of RRR. Doesn't have to be an action movie, but I'm looking for something vibrant and entertaining rather than super serious.

Clearcut

West Indies