Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If your girlfriend can figure out the ending twist of Remember Me before it happens, then either have her start rattling off lottery numbers or check her phone to see if she's reading Wikipedia in the bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Show her Clue and see if she can guess that it has three different endings.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Not exactly what you're asking for, but at least more closely related than the Terminator movies, I'd suggest checking out Automata and I Am Mother on Netflix if you're interested in a robot angle on that general theme.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gamer has people loving-by-proxy. I don't recall if Surrogates has a sex scene, but there's at least the implication that they use the robot bodies to do so. And, similarly, the Matrix series' sex scene is in the real world, but obviously people are doing it in the matrix.

It's a TV show, but Black Mirror got into virtual sex in San Junipero and Striking Vipers, the latter of which is focused squarely on that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Oh, and Existenz, of course.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but the scenes of ape mayhem in the new Planet of the Apes trilogy are a lot of fun.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sartana posted:

I'm on a rivalry movie kick. Watched The Duellists and Rush past couple nights. Looking for anything similar. Them being historical rivalries are a bonus, but not necessary, I'm just looking for any movies about two dudes who loving hate each other over an escalating grudge.

The rivalry is constrained to a naval engagement that takes place over the course of months, but Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World has something of this, and is a fantastic movie otherwise.

morestuff posted:

I liked Upgrade recently along those lines

Also, The Invisible Man from the same director.

And The First Purge, which is significantly better than any of the previous ones.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Malick's The New World has a lot of pretty tree footage. Leave No Trace on Amazon Prime could work. Not if it has to be horror, though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Poltergeist (1982) isn't the scariest movie, but it's a lot of fun, and worth seeing to have seen if you haven't before.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

After, and I do mean after, you watch some of the classics posted, check out Prometheus, which is a modern love letter to those sorts of movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

space marine todd posted:

Recommendations for visually/musically stunning space movies like 2001, Interstellar, Sunshine, and The Fountain?

Less violence/horror would be preferable.

I wouldn't put it up there with those four, but you might appreciate Ad Astra. And, actually, Star Trek: The Motion Picture has some sequences that might do something for you.

Prometheus and Alien Covenant are stunning, but are, of course, horror movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The John le Carré adaptations tend to be pretty low-key and grounded. I very much enjoyed Philip Seymour Hoffman's last movie, A Most Wanted Man. The Tailor of Panama is good as well. Note, you're not going to get action the way you will with the two you mentioned, though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy might be more on-point for that than either of the ones I mentioned, though I think the miniseries with Alec Guinness is better than the movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Virginia Slams posted:

Looking for movies/mini series/tv that is dark high fantasy/adventure along the lines of Solomon Kane, Black Death, LOTR(but darker, less lightheartedness). Period pieces, completely fictional settings, alternate timelines are fine with me. I'm cool with animated as well so like things like Berserk meet pretty much exactly what I'm looking for with dark fantasy with elements of supernatural.

You might like the movie The Head Hunter or Netflix's The Witcher TV series. They're both about men who hunt monsters for bounties in a relatively grim fantasy setting. The TV show has a lot more typical fantasy adventure stuff in it, while the movie is a stripped-down story about the hunter looking for revenge on one particular monster.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I really liked Coherence if anyone can recommend something in a similar vein. I've had Resolution on my list for a while but I didn't love The Endless.
I'd like to get thoroughly spooked or unsettled so really looking for something that takes itself seriously.

In the Earth (currently on Hulu in the US) might fit what you're looking for.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leigh Whannell's follow-up to Upgrade, The Invisible Man, is also very good. But be aware that they're both more horror-action than pure horror.

Seconding or thirding or whatever it is the recommendation for Possessor.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm looking for movies like Assault on Precinct 13, Straw Dogs, Night of the Living Dead or even Green Room. Basically, people trapped and either defending themselves (or trying to escape) against intruders. I watched a movie called Siege (1981) on Shudder the other night that got me thinking about it and need to scratch that itch.

Searching for movies like those either returns lists of random 70s movies or zombie movies without the being trapped part of the equation.

Panic Room, You're Next, and mother! are all good, though the last of those is stretching things a bit.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

tuyop posted:

If I like the house parts of Bird Box, but only the scenes inside the house, what other movies have similar elements?

Depending on where you want to end up on the horror-to-sci-fi spectrum of things, you might like one or more of The Others, Signs, The Mist, and Coherence, all of which have significant elements of people bouncing off each other as they shelter against outside horrors.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

These are probably too high-profile, but if you haven't seen them, then The Andromeda Strain (1971) and Phase IV (1974) might be worth checking out, particularly the latter.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Midnight Special might fit the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I watched John Wick: Chapter 4, thought Donnie Yen was an obvious standout, and realized I'd only ever seen him in American movies (Wick, Rogue One, Blade II, etc.) where he's in a supporting role. What would be the best movies that really showcase his talent? I was particularly taken with how playful his fighting style was and would love to see more like that, but not asking for only that in the recommendations.