Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

The problem with wanting more things like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is that it's the best one—everything else will pale in comparison to that perfectly-wound script. For more modern stuff I'd say Fincher's films have similar qualities, Social Network especially. Frost/Nixon has a lot of that same DNA. Good Night and Good Luck. There Will Be Blood. The Constant Gardener. You can probably pull a list of "political thrillers" that will send you down a good path. But TTSS to me feels very much like a 60s/early 70s drama, so tapping into that more might scratch the itch for you—The Conversation, All the President's Men, Three Days of the Condor. And it wouldn't hurt to catch Smiley's People and really any other le Carre adaptation, even if none of them can match the brilliance of TTSS.

Depends on your definition of good, and on your flexibility on what constitutes Cyberpunk. Blade Runner/2049, Brazil, Akira, and the first Matrix are really the only excellent full-on "classic" Cyberpunk films as the genre tends to be defined in pop culture.

If you're willing to get weird with it, though, you can throw in all kinds of movies and TV shows—Metropolis, La Jetee/12 Monkeys, Alphaville, THX-1138, World on a Wire, Eraserhead, Stalker, the Max Headroom TV series, the Robocop TV series and movies, Her, the first season of Westworld, The Animatrix, Gattaca, Dark City, Minority Report, Inception, Total Recall, Altered Carbon, Batman Beyond, Children of Men, Total Recall 2070 (okay, guilty pleasure), a whole bunch of anime, and the entirety of reality in 2019. The lines blur between dystopian sci-fi and cyberpunk often.

Strange Days maybe? Very good film. Probably qualifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Julius CSAR posted:

Hey guys! With "Top Gun: Maverick" coming out soon I thought drop by and give a little of what I consider the best aviation movies, most of these are "good" usually solely based on the flying scenes themselves, but occasionally you get a great movie part as well.

Battle of Britain 1969 - Basically the end all be all of WW2 aviation films. Guy Hamilton of Goldfinger fame. Involved a production so large that after travelling around the world to find all the aircraft, United Artists wound up fielding the tenth largest air force in the world, albeit outmoded Spits and 109s. Most of the pilots in the production were actual WW2 fighter pilots. Some of them, and a few of the aircraft, were actual BoB veterans. Hamilton basically told them to go up and just do what came natural to them. As a result it is the best depiction of aerial combat put to film. Great score and a cast that includes Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer, Curd Jurgens, Susannah York, Robert Shaw, Ian McShane, and Lawrence Olivier. It just the absolute best.

Top Gun 1986 - Great flying scenes, good cast, rocking soundtrack. Cheezy but essential. Not actually the best F-14 movie.

The Hunters 1958 - Basically the same description as Top Gun except with F-86 Sabers. Robert Mitchum and Robert Wagner. Great montage of an "Ace Race" with the pilots' canopy rails being adorned with an ever larger collection of red stars.

The Final Countdown 1980 - Goofy scif-fi story with the USS Nimitz being transported to Hawaii on Dec 6th 1941. The best F-14 movie. Involves a dogfight with two F-14s vs a pair of Mitsubishi A6M Zeroes, and also the best footage of aircraft carrier operations outside of a documentary. Includes a scene of an actual in flight emergency with an A-7 taking the barrier when the hook didn't drop. Stars Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen and :siren:produced by Lloyd loving Kaufman:siren:

The Spirit of St. Louis 1957 - Stars Jimmy Stewart (a pilot and actual USAF Brigadier General) as Charles Lindbergh, written and directed by Billy Wilder. Focuses pretty much just on Lindbergh's flying career, which is a good move considering he was a lovely nazi. Otherwise great aviation stuff, and Jimmy Stewart makes friends with a housefly who hitches a ride to Ireland.

30 Seconds Over Tokyo 1944 - Spencer Tracy flies B-25s in the best depiction of the Doolittle Raid. Purestrain WW2 propaganda film, written by Dalton Trumbo.

I'll probably drop in tomorrow and a few to this.

I remember Memphis Belle being pretty good. Is The Hunters based on James Salter’s beautiful book?

I haven’t seen it but isn’t Hell’s Angels (1930) well regarded?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are any of Paul Verhoeven's movies worth watching outside of the classic trilogy of Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers?

Apparently Soldier of Orange (Dutch film) is excellent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Action Jacktion posted:

Yellow Submarine, Captain EO, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Mars Attacks, Back to the Future. And maybe Masters of the Universe.

Bah, I was going to post Mars Attacks! (you left out the crucial exclamation mark, so I get the point).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Those are good suggestions, though I'm a little burned out on zombie movies. I'm looking for a "my god they've broken through" kind of vibe. Aliens would be perfect, but I'm hoping to find something I haven't seen before

Mars Attacks!

War of the Worlds?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sartana posted:

I'm on a rivalry movie kick. Watched The Duellists and Rush past couple nights. Looking for anything similar. Them being historical rivalries are a bonus, but not necessary, I'm just looking for any movies about two dudes who loving hate each other over an escalating grudge.

There Will Be Blood kind of has this. Days of Thunder!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Could anyone recommend any movies set in Northern Canada, Alaska or Greenland?

Into The Wild
The Revenant
Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Y'all are too good at this, I've had to make a Letterboxd list. Good thing I'm in the mood for depressing foggy seaside movies all the time these days.

Did anyone mention Manchester By The Sea? By god, that's a good film.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

These are all excellent suggestions, and all are new to me. Thank you.

Show Me The Picture: The Jim Marshall Story. It'll be coming out in the US soon. (I exec-produced it!). It's pretty good but not great - it doesn't quite get to his essence or find the throughline. but it's really interesting about music photography in the 60s and 70s. He shot everyone: The Beatles, Stones, Jimi, Johnny Cash (he was the only photographer Johnny allowed at San Quentin and Folsom; he took the shot of JC flipping the bird), Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane... He took so many iconic photos that you'll recognise. The film is stuffed with those so it's a visual treat. it's worth watching.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I hate that film.

Try Gravity. I bet it would look amazing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Stairmaster posted:

i need a movie about a cool prison break (not the great escape/face off)

Shawshank!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Heavy Metal posted:

Any fun and/or offbeat good entertainment documentaries? Mostly I've been digging music docs, loved Beastie Boys Story and I Am Thor for example. But I'd also be interested in ones about other entertainers.

I guess another thing that makes a really good doc is one that doesn't just feel like it's going over a career like VH1. Has a little extra character to it.

I'm gonna check out that Zappa one for sure.

It's not quite a documentary but 24-Hour Party People is terrific. Dig! is also really good. Me And Daniel Johnston.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've decided to fully embrace my inner nerd and have been playing a lot of chess lately. What are the best chess movies, documentary or otherwise?

Queen's Gambit is a very good drama series on Netflix right now. (It started me playing again too! I use lichess. If you use it tell me your username.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sri.Theo posted:

I’m looking for a movie that’s focused on social class and class conflict, preferably from the UK or Western Europe and relatively modern. The more challenging the better.

Any suggestions?

Not from Europe but Parasite.

Also Snowpiercer.

Made In Dagenham is a decent film about women striking at Ford in the 60s.

And yeah, Lone Star is excellent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think Margin Call fits the bill. Maybe The Informant!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Addams Family Values!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wizchine posted:

It's not so much about revisiting the place, but everything else ticks the boxes for Sleepers (1996)

The Bay of Silence.

I thought this was absolutely hilarious.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ParisFascistWeek posted:

I would recommend 2 movies: Dancer in the Dark (2001) with Björk and Lars Von Trier and Enchanted with Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey. I can't remember what year that enchanted one came out but it's sometime around 2007-2008. They are both musicals with a twist and they're both done really well. I know one is Disney but to be honest I think it's the funniest and most charming Disney movie to date. Dancer in the Dark is the complete opposite. I sobbed at the end of that movie. Anyway, if u need recommendations I would just go to letterboxd and watch anything over 3.5 stars.

I HATE Dancer In The Dark, and I don't think it fits the brief OP is looking for. It's not about someone losing track of reality (oh, how about A Scanner Darkly?), but about somneone being incredibly horrible to another person. Goddamn, I hate Lars von Trier.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coaaab posted:

Among contemporary filmmakers, have you seen anything by Asghar Farhadi or Kenneth Lonergan? Those two would be my go-tos

Yeah, I was going to suggest Manchester By The Sea, which is an incredible and hard-hitting film.

Odd suggestion: Killing Them Softly

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The Nasty Girl (1990, DOP Axel de Roche), about a German teenager who starts delving into her town's narrative of what happened during WW2.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Good recommendations.

Nobody mentioning Shaving Ryan's Privates?

There is a decent new Dutch WW2 film that just came onto Netflix, The Forgotten Battle. (I did a bit of work on it but it is actually decent).

Another pretty good Norwegian resistance film is The 12th Man.

I know it's not a film but seconding Band of Brothers.

Enemy At The Gates is a WW2 film, but I am not sure it's a very good one...

Inglourious Bastards kind of qualifies.

Son of Saul is a Holocaust film rather than a war film, and is incredible.

Memphis Belle, and Biloxi Blues.

Fury. If you like tanks and lots of shooting.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Melancholy or bittersweet Christmas/New Years movies?

I feel like I’ve got a load on the top of my tongue but none springing to mind immediately.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Origami Dali posted:

Any good murder mystery movies from the past decade or so? Preferably without a bunch of convoluted nonsense and ridiculous twists. I tried The Invisible Guest and bailed after 15 minutes because it was already getting incredibly dumb. I feel like the simple grounded murder investigation format for movies is pretty dead, now relegated mostly to television/streaming shows, and those are often these overlong dour melodramas that drip progression out painfully slow over an entire season(s) (Broadchurch, The Sinner, The Killing, etc).

I enjoyed Knives Out a lot. Apparently Branagh’s Murder on the Orient Express is decent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

What about Black Swan?

Addams Family Values!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Maybe The Two Popes?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There’s a decent Daniel Johnson one too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FitFortDanga posted:

Yep, The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Also, Let's Get Lost (about Chet Baker) is exactly what you want

Thanks, that’s the one. I actually did the sales agency agreement for that one but it was so long ago I forgot the title.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Journey’s End is pretty good and I think fits the bill.
Beaufort (Israeli film). That reminds me: Waltz with Bashir.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

I’d like to watch something in the vein of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood. Something adventure-y and fun, preferably with a really good sword fight. To help you refine your recommendations, some of my favorite movies that already fit this vibe are The Court Jester, The Scarlet Pimpernel (both the Leslie Howard version and the 1980s movie with Ian McKellan and Anthony Andrews), and The Magic Sword. (Yeah, the one from MST3k, with Gary Lockwood.) Thanks in advance.

Have you seen The Princess Bride?

Edit: shoot, didn’t see replies

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Muppets Treasure Island.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Zoracle Zed posted:

what movies do 'extremely competent protagonist in over their head' as well as no country for old men?

Joke answers
The Big Lebowski
Inherent Vice
Airplane!
Naked Gun

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’m not sure if a family counts as a cult, but if so, Dogtooth.
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, kind of.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Maybe Spotlight?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coaaab posted:

Alright, gaspar noe's vortex bowled me the gently caress over, so now I want recommendations for films/documentaries about an elderly parent/relative's deterioration like from Alzheimer's, dementia, stroke, etc.

Remember seeing:
Amour
The Savages

Heard about :
Away from Her
The Father
Relic

I've seen Away From Her and The Father, and both are really excellent.

You could also watch all six seasons of This Is Us!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LionYeti posted:

Just saw The Handmaiden. Looking for more movies that have that kind of tense emotional relationships, crossing and doublecrossing. Friend already recommended The Favorite so I put that on the list.

It’s so good. (I was referring to the Handmaiden but The Favourite is great too).

Miller’s Crossing. On a lighter note, another Coen Bros, Intolerable Cruelty.

Oh, Michael Clayton. To some degree Nightcrawler.

therattle fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 6, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I recall Burnt by the Sun as being very good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A Beautiful Mind.
Good Will Hunting

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vavrek posted:

I've got kind of a particular request:

I'm looking for a movie set in the 1870s-1880s that depicts a sizeable old west town, preferably California. Like, something around fifty thousand people, a place that's already been built up after the peak of the Gold Rush has passed.

A friend of mine's running a pen & paper game set in 1871 central California, so I'm watching Westerns to get myself in the mood, but Tombstone and Hill Valley just aren't very large towns.

Any ideas?

edit: Looking at population figures for Stockton, 50k is probably too high, and I should've said more like 10k-20k people. But still, some actual built-up Old West town/city, not just a half dozen dirt streets.

Did the Coen Bros True Grit have any larger town scenes? Or News Of The World? I feel like they might have.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

habituallyred posted:

Movie set in a multi engine bomber; not Shadow in the Cloud.

Memphis Belle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for a movie similar to Punch Drunk Love. Awkward courtship between outsiders. Ending in either success or failure, it'd be interesting to see both.

Harold and Maude?
Ali & Ava
Others are on the tip of my tongue…