Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Worth pointing out though that Brazil is technically a Christmas movie, which a lot of people forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jingoism in film isn't always about accuracy, it's also about perspective. And that's where people have issues with Black Hawk Down, it's so focused on the perspective of the American soldiers that it dehumanizes the Somalis.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vavrek posted:

I've got kind of a particular request:

I'm looking for a movie set in the 1870s-1880s that depicts a sizeable old west town, preferably California. Like, something around fifty thousand people, a place that's already been built up after the peak of the Gold Rush has passed.

A friend of mine's running a pen & paper game set in 1871 central California, so I'm watching Westerns to get myself in the mood, but Tombstone and Hill Valley just aren't very large towns.

Any ideas?

edit: Looking at population figures for Stockton, 50k is probably too high, and I should've said more like 10k-20k people. But still, some actual built-up Old West town/city, not just a half dozen dirt streets.

I feel like this town isn't quite as built up as you'd like but hey it's an excuse to post one of the best shots in any Western ever. Also definitely an inspiration to one of the establishing shots in Back to the Future III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdL__zuZvpA

The aforementioned shot is about 4 minutes in. The movie is Once Upon A Time in the West.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about fighters/boxers/wrestlers that focus on redemption or comebacks

Some of what I've enjoyed:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

and of course the Rocky movies. Foreign films are welcome but I'm not looking for Bruce Lee/Ip Man style choreographed martial arts, more slugfests

Check out the Undisputed series. The first one is decent but you can really start with Undisputed II where they cast Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins. The series has some great slugfests, and plenty of redemption and comebacks, although they're definitely more action focused compared to something like Rocky/The Fighter/The Wrestler.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Surprised that nobody has mentioned Fire in the Sky yet.

I am bad at reading. But yea Fire in the Sky is exactly what you're looking for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Flash loving Gordon

Be prepared to have that theme song stuck in your head for days though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

And if you somehow haven't seen The Legend of Drunken Master GO AND WATCH THE LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER RIGHT NOW.

Worth pointing out that Legend of the Drunken Master isn't the same thing as Drunken Master.

Legend of the Drunken Master(also known as Drunken Master II) is the sequel to Drunken Master.

Hong Kong action films got their hooks into me a few year ago and so far I've bought the Police Story Trilogy, Dragons Forever, the recent Criterion release of Heroic Trio, and an In The Line of Duty box set. A bunch of those were blind buys and not a single one of them has made me regret it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing Jackie usually seems to deliver on is an outstanding showdown/finale at the end. Like, for me Project A would be like a C+ movie but then the big showdown between Jackie/Sammo/Yuen vs. the head pirate is an A++ fight so it kinda elevates the whole movie.