Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Gimme some samurai films. I've seen the Kurosawas and half-watched Harakiri one time.

I've got basically all streaming including Criterion Channel and I'd spend on a rental if it's worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cruising through the Lone Wolf and Cub movies (which are incredible so far) then doubling back on some of those others, thanks for the recs everybody

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Twins of Evil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Ri5W6GmHU

Gothic and European but on the mild end of sleaziness

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

For All Mankind is worth tracking down but I'm not sure how redundant it is with the Apollo 11 doc, haven't seen it yet.

If you've got Kanopy you might like stuff by Frederick Wiseman like Ex Libris and National Gallery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoE1NA_zi1M

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to rent unless I sign up for Kanopy. Anyone know anything about that service? Worth subbing to?

On the plus side, Kanopy is free with many public library memberships. On the down side, you can't subscribe otherwise.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, it’s a real crapshoot

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Trying to think of movies with desert hicks like Tremors, Raising Arizona, sort of Breaking Bad, sort of Paris, Texas

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hollow Man is gross but otherwise OK

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just a list of seriousish, well-shot stuff I like from the last decade:

Timbuktu
GETT: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
The Master
Leave No Trace
Silence
Burning
Under The Skin
The Rider

morestuff fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 9, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The 70s Invasion of the Body Snatchers

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I liked Upgrade recently along those lines

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

First thing that came to mind was The Usual Suspects

Edit: I obviously completely missed the “post” part of “post-90s”

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.

Have you seen Under The Silver Lake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwgUesU1pz4

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Phantom of the Paradise

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Nightcrawler or Fletch

morestuff fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 29, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dekko posted:

I'd like to watch some Westerns, but mountain/snowy ones. I can think of The Revenant, Ravenous, Hateful Eight and maybe the True Grit remake off the top of my head.

Jeremiah Johnson or The Great Silence would work

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Haunting, The House on Haunted Hill, The Legend of Hell House

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Badlands. Badlands Badlands Badlands.

Yeah, this is what you want. Also maybe Spring Breakers or If…

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

What are some movies and documentaries about photography and photographers? Something where the art of photography is part of the text or themes, not necessarily something like You're Next where a character uses a camera for a single iconic scene.

Blow Up. Also Camera Person if you don't mean specifically still photography

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx52F4iLTL8

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Planet of the Vampires is a fun, gorgeous older sci-fi horror movie. It's on Prime

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just watched Shoplifters and wanted to dig deeper into Hirokazu Koreeda's catalog. Where to? Obviously bonus if it's easily available in the US, rental is fine

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ephori posted:

I'm looking for movies where dudes really beat the hell out of each other, but I would like 'real' movies, not straight action movies. Something where the fights are brutal but also....meaningful?

I watched A Prayer Before Dawn last night, so kind of along those lines. Eastern Promises is another one that comes to mind, and Valhalla Rising.

It's only a couple minutes but I always enjoyed James Caan and Kathy Bates kicking the poo poo out of each other at the end of Misery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQrVol9WDW4

This one's TV, but Dan Dority vs. The Captain in Deadwood also comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7I41ew8C8

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It's a pretty big cheat, since it's an MMA movie, but Warrior has a lot of brutal but also really emotional and character-driven fight scenes. I'd link the final fight but I think it plays x10000 times better in context

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The 70s Invasion of the Body Snatchers checks every item you listed

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Fountain is pretty unique, I don't know if you're going to find that mix of raw emotion and weird gigantic psychedelia. But something like Reds is another romance that has a bunch of other poo poo going on

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe give Days of Heaven a whirl. Once Upon A Time In The West too if you're looking for something with a little more action peppered in.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 23, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Netflix has Into The Spider-Verse in 4k. You do need to upgrade your plan first, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Crumb is very good if you can stomach the seedier side of it. Anybody who likes docs is probably already aware of Errol Morris’s stuff...But if not then check out

Tabloid
Dr. Death
Fast, Cheap and Out of Control

Absolutely this, especially Tabloid and Gates of Heaven.

Also American Movie and The Jinx

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Heavy Metal Parking Lot, too

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe give the recent Shoplifters a try if you don’t mind subtitles. Also Tangerine, the previous movie from the director of The Florida Project

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 8, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You might enjoy The Thin Man series.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I feel like the only person in the world who dislikes the Columbo format. There's just no tension.

It's mostly about watching rich dipshits get owned by the coolest man alive

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, Conan would be a good watch. You might also enjoy Excalibur, though it's…a lot. Same with Legend, though I'm not sure either of those are quite as bleak as what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZc0ED-GULk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=als5pGB3Tfg

Edit: maybe Valhalla Rising?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgoGccHJD4

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 31, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

therattle posted:

Not from Europe but Parasite.

Same but Shoplifters

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe give It Follows a go

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Anybody got recommendations for movies similar to The Insider or Michael Clayton? Movies that mine real suspense and excitement out of people having conversations in offices without a whole lot of traditional “action”. I’ve seen most of Pakula’s major films.

Spotlight is good if you haven't seen it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Locke is also a pretty good thriller and that's literally all talking.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

What are some good hangout movies? Chill, low-stakes movies where everybody just kinda hangs out and has a good time and there's not much conflict.

I've seen Dazed and Confused and Everybody Wants Some!! and such. Open to whatever, but ideally something with a bit of a hook—I'd love some genre flicks.

Maybe give Computer Chess or Support The Girls a shot. Comedy pick: Jeanne Dielman

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Antichrist is set in a cabin in the woods and is both arty and trashy, but I'd definitely read some reviews first. There's also the Friday the 13th movies, especially IV

morestuff fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Is there anything else like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy out there? Just incredibly tense and tightly wound spy narratives? I know there's been a decent amount of Le Carre adaptations over the past few years, but I haven't tracked if any of them are as pitch-perfect as TTSS. I've seen the Alec Guinness BBC adaptations and while they're highly pleasant, they're not the same in terms of edge-of-your-seat tension. I could also be open to non-spy narratives that have the same vibe—maybe political thrillers? I'd say The Conversation would maybe scratch the same itch.

I'm probably going to catch Three Days of the Condor tonight, but open to other ideas.

Maybe give Munich a shot if you haven't. Marathon Man is sort of spy-adjacent, too.

Three Days is great but in my memory kind of shaggier than what you're looking for