Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve got a real soft spot for 50s sci-fi, but I’ve seen all the standards (Forbidden Planet, Body Snatchers, Them!, Day the Earth Stood Still, This Island Earth, etc.) dozens of times already.

Looking for stuff that’s lesser known but still notable. Bonus points if it skews more space/alien themed than giant bugs or atomic horrors (though those recs are still welcome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Purple Monkey posted:

To my great shame I had never seen one of Jackie Chan's Hong Kong films prior to watching Police Story which I loved. What else from that era is worth checking out besides the obvious Police Story sequels?

For HK movies of the same general era:
Dragons Forever (1988)
Wheels on Meals (1984)
Project A (1983)
Project A Part 2 (1987)

If you want to go a little earlier:
Fearless Hyena (1979)
The Young Master (1980)

If you want to go a little later:
Operation Condor (1991)
Crime Story (1993)
Drunken Master 2 (1994)

Out of that whole list, I’d probably say Dragons Forever is easily the best, followed closely by Project A and Drunken Master 2.

And if you end up liking Dragons Forever, you could also check out movies with costars Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao that have a pretty similar vibe to Jackie’s stuff since they’re all friends who came up in the industry together.

These are solid intros:
Righting Wrongs (1986)
Roundabout (1979)

HK action from that period is a ton of fun.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, Jackie was such a perfectionist back then that even the lesser entries still have absolutely incredible stunts and setpieces in them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Communion?

Nope and No One Will Save You come to mind but don’t have exactly the same vibe as the others you mentioned.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Seconding the The Conversation rec, that one’s excellent and absolutely nails the same conspiracy vibe as the ones the OP mentioned.

It’s earlier, but Seven Days in May (1964) is a very good Frankenheimer (with a screenplay by Rod Serling!) about a military conspiracy to take over the presidency.

Capricorn One (1977) is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. It’s nowhere near the caliber of the other movies mentioned here, but it has the fun angle of centering around a NASA conspiracy to fake a launch and subsequent Mars landing because the craft they’ve built is actually faulty and would accidentally kill the astronauts en route. James Brolin, Sam Waterston, and uhhhhh OJ play the NASA astronauts who won’t go along with the conspiracy and end up being hunted by the government after they escape custody. Meanwhile, Elliot Gould plays a Houston journalist investigating the mission after being tipped off that something’s not right. It nails the conspiratorial tone you’re looking for and it’s basically a dumb fun popcorn watch.

I always see Marathon Man (1976) come up in recs for conspiracy thrillers but I’ve never actually seen it.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 11, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve never thought of Body Snatchers as a conspiracy, but I guess it definitely is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s a sequel to WNUF called the “Out There Halloween Mega Tape” that’s decent.

One Cut of the Dead might also fit the bill?

We watched a movie pretty early on during lockdown called The Cleansing Hour (2019) that I remember being better than I expected, but I also barely remember it and can’t really vouch for it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Are any of the original run of Planet of the Apes sequels worth watching? Either as just being a solid film or an entertaining piece of pop culture a la late-Showa Godzilla?

I’m not crazy about Beneath… but I know a lot of people enjoy it. It does have its moments with a cult that worships an unexploded ICBM.

Escape… is probably my favorite of the original sequels. It starts as a pretty schlocky quasi-comedy before getting kinda bleak and tense towards the end.

Conquest… continues the vibe of the end of Escape and has some fairly interesting 70s dystopian sci-fi vibes.

I remember being mostly bored with Battle…, it really feels like they’d obviously run out of steam.

I’d probably recommend Escape and Conquest for sure. The only thing you need to know going into Escape is that the future Earth from the original is destroyed in Beneath and the ape main characters escaped the explosion by going back in time. I can’t remember if the movie recaps that or not.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Judgement Night has the giant plus of (big spoiler) showing you Jeremy Piven getting tossed off a building.