Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Thread, I need help finding something for friends&family Movie Night. I have some past successes/failures to help triangulate a bit:

-Repo Man went over well, with a great soundtrack and generally cool stoner attitude, while Tuff Turf was met with open derision
-Phantom of the Paradise was a favorite, while Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was hated but in a way that made for an amazing viewing experience
-Theater of Blood and Shaw Bros. martial arts films are probably the comfortable upper limit on violence/gore
-Ideally less offputtingly horny than Barbarella
-My Dinner with Andre was rejected as an option, because while unquestioningly a good movie it demands attention to a point that stifles conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hmm, after some consideration, I think giving the guests a choice between Footloose and Streets of Fire is the right call, give 'em a selection of tone on opposite ends of the "it's the 80s but also sorta the 50s?" spectrum.

Plus both films came out in 1984, so it works with my brother's recent 40th birthday!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Definitely gonna keep Dr Phibes in the back pocket for Halloween. Lair of the White Worm will be reserved for when I want to make them uncomfortable

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

My monthly book club is bundled together with a movie night, what would be a good pairing with Pat Conroy's Prince of Tides (you know, aside from the obvious film adaptation)?