Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
If you can vibe with 70s Godard Tout Va Bien has a good cut open set of a sausage factory during a labor strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

I watched The Florida Project yesterday and really enjoyed it. I also liked KIDS, Gummo, and Requiem For A Dream. Another good one is the 1981 made for tv adaptation of The Gin Game with Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. The common theme here is "slice of life" type movies that don't follow typical movie tropes and don't necessarily have happy endings or any resolution - somewhere between a documentary and movie. Is there a genre for this type of film? Any recommendations on similar films?

Kelly Reichardt's films are some of my favorites of these, all of them really but especially Old Joy and Wendy & Lucy. Those are lower key than your examples but hit the slice of life/open end really well. Mike Leigh's stuff also has a lot of hits, especially Naked fitting in some with the rougher aspects of your examples.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
He's really wonderful in Old Joy, I wish he'd act more too. I should really get around to that Rick Alverson movie he's in. It's fun to think about how before he was famous(ish) for his music he was most notable for being in Matewan. There's an alternate universe where his acting/music ratio is reversed, and he just kept plugging along as a solid supporting actor and has a small side gig making music now and again

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Rider and Charles Burnett are great shouts, Killer of Sheep is a masterpiece

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

virinvictus posted:

Girlfriend is a sucker for romance in movies. What would be a good date night suggestion? I'm a mafia / gang movie lover and never really lend myself in that direction.

Carol, Brief Encounter, All That Heaven Allows, The Shop Around the Corner, The Age of Innocence, If Beale Street Could Talk, Desert Hearts. If she likes romance films she's probably already seen Moonstruck but Norman Jewison just died and is missing out if she hasn't. I second all the Wong Kar Wai suggestions and add Happy Together.