Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about fighters/boxers/wrestlers that focus on redemption or comebacks

Some of what I've enjoyed:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

and of course the Rocky movies. Foreign films are welcome but I'm not looking for Bruce Lee/Ip Man style choreographed martial arts, more slugfests

Red Belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for stuff like the Station Agent and Bagdad Cafe. Unlikely friendships between outsiders, preferably quite low stakes and quiet.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think I will probably end up watching every recommendation on this page

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for fun uplifting/cathartic anti-colonialist movies in the style of RRR. Doesn't have to be an action movie, but I'm looking for something vibrant and entertaining rather than super serious.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for the recs. I've seen most of them with Bacurau being a notable exception. It looks very cool.

I could imagine there being some angles you could find Ghibli's output to be anti colonialist. The negative encroachment of "civilisation" on nature is a pretty common theme in those movies, so colonial parallels could be found.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 14, 2023

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for an action movie with soul. Good action, but also something underpinning it - relatable character motivations etc. I feel Point Break is a good example of this despite how ridiculous the concept is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Chamale posted:

I'm making a list of the greatest popular movies that I've never seen. My list so far is very male-dominated. What are some of the best, famous movies starring women that I should watch? Right now I've got:

Sunset Boulevard