Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Any ideas for lesser known dark crime thrillers/mysteries? Bonus points if it has a neo-noir feel. I'm thinking in the vein of Memento, Seven, Prisoners, maybe Zodiac? I've seen all the popular Korean ones too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Skratchez posted:

Define lesser known. I'm still waiting for the sequel to Mr. Brooks. Copycat is probably not lesser known.

Actually just gonna pull from an IMDB list, Identity? Cold Creek Manor is sort of underrated? One Hour Photo.

I don't really know from "lesser known" I guess. I could have said Lovely Bones from memory at least, and Mystic River (needs a sequel), Sleepers. Inherent Vice. Frailty. Winter's Bone. The Human Stain.

e: there's one on the tip of my tongue that I really need to ask in the identify a movie thread that I saw once, very southern, very noir, probably not more than a decade old, sort of Grishamy (answered my own question The Gingerbread Man)

Thanks! I'd say most of those are lesser known because I've asked for the staples before and from your list only seen Identity, One Hour Photo, Frailty, and Inherent Vice. The first three meet what im looking for but I didn't like Inherent Vice, though I can see why you'd reccomend it since it is neo noir style, just not dark enough for me and I didn't get the comedy style.

I would've provided a bigger list of what I've seen to better define lesser known but I'm extremely low on sleep and can't think at the moment. It sounds like you've already provided a great list of unwatched suggestions from the minimal info I gave, I'll check them out!

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I haven't seen any of those except Blue Ruin and the American tv series Animal Kingdom. Also forgt to mention to the other fellow I've seen Mystic River and that was a good one too with the sort of tone I'm looking for, but a bit of a strange ending. Thanks for all the reccomendations guys! Certainly I have a lot of options to check out now.

Maybe I'll start with Gingerbread Man, The Cure, and Burning.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 20, 2019