Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

Hardcore Henry i believe ticks these boxes? you may have seen it. they went with practical effects throughout the movie as much as they possibly could. there are like one or two scenes i think that even have CG at all
I'm not sure if you're joking, but that movie is like, CGed out the rear end in a top hat, including plenty of CG blood and color correction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmXWVELig8

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/how-hardcore-henrys-pov-shots-were-made/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Logan Lucky.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Manhunter of course.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They're sort of in the cultural zeitgeist, so she might've heard about them, but honestly I think it's pretty tough to predict the ends of Inglourious Basterds or Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood just because there's no real way to know which direction Tarantino is going. I don't know if Blackhat is something you can necessarily "figure out," but if it is, I think it'd be hard to guess, just because there are lots of possibilities. I'd be pretty surprised if she can predict the end of Glass. Really I'm a little suspicious of how many movies she can in fact predict before halfway through: lots of movies throw in twists after the 1st half that aren't so much "unpredictable" but rather they're one of a dozen twists the movie could've thrown in, so how would anyone know that twist is coming rather than some other twist? So for instance in Margaret someone dies, but it's not like there's an obvious person who is going to die or even an obvious candidate for death.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

bewilderment posted:

I want some movies that are kind of, uh, 'high energy' where you don't really know what exactly is going to happen next, you're just enjoying the ride.
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension!, After Hours, F for Fake, Burn After Reading.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kanine posted:

hey does anyone have particularly good recommendations for ww2 underground resistance films?
Kanal; Casablanca; Underground; Schindler's List; Rome, Open City; Svoi; Went the Day Well?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I watched Blue Ruin and Hell or Highwater recently and both were awesome. I want to watch other stuff like them. Good low budget thrillers please.
The Rover.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The other night I watched American Pop with some friends and while opinions were divided, we all agreed that, despite the fact that the film takes place mostly in the same place, the whole thing felt like an enormous journey. What are some other films that achieve a similar emotion?
The Hateful Eight, Stop Making Sense.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are any of Paul Verhoeven's movies worth watching outside of the classic trilogy of Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers?
Hollow Man is his only bad movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Looking for some gritty spy movies with some verisimilitude ala Haywire and Ronin.
Atomic Blonde, 3 Days of the Condor, The Parallax View, Bridge of Spies, The Conversation, Lust, Caution, Munich, Burn After Reading, The American.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

feedmyleg posted:

Alternative Christmas movies? Stuff that takes place on/around Christmas but isn't about Christmas? The more offbeat or away from traditional Christmas movies, the better. Only caveat: no horror.
I just posted one in the noir thread - Blast of Silence.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The 1938 Robin Hood is excellent.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sri.Theo posted:

I’m looking for a movie that’s focused on social class and class conflict, preferably from the UK or Western Europe and relatively modern. The more challenging the better.

Any suggestions?
Peterloo

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Fictional punk movies made in the past 15 years. I've seen Green Room and loved it.
Vi är bäst! (2014).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ninjewtsu posted:

what are the good comedy movies of the last like, i dunno, 5 years? anything newer than/contemporary to what we do in the shadows would be good
In addition to what others have recommended (lots of good recs already!):

Blindspotting (comedy/drama, but definitely lots of comedy); The Beach Bum; The Climb (extremely funny IMHO); Thunder Road (dramady); The Big Sick; Gringo (straight up comedy); The Other Side of Hope (warning: Finnish sense of humor required); The Kid Detective (some dramatic elements); The Intern (if you like Nancy Meyers); The Lego Batman Movie; Always Be My Maybe (nice romcom); Don't Think Twice (dramady heavy on the comedy); Game Night (most people think this is a stone cold classic); Happiest Season (mediocre romcom but I like it); Ralph Breaks the Internet; Uncle Drew (very funny); Deadpool and Deadpool 2; Ghostbusters; The Art of Self-Defense (you need a certain sort of sense of humor); Café Society (mildly acceptable late period Woody Allen dramady); Central Intelligence; Diamantino (very deep, probably you gotta be European or ideally Portuguese to get the most out of it); Spy; Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping; Blockers (I didn't like it but many did); Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar (really did nothing for me but lots of people adore it); Mortdecai (one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but your mileage may vary).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ninjewtsu posted:

what are the good comedy movies of the last like, i dunno, 5 years? anything newer than/contemporary to what we do in the shadows would be good
Two more comedies to add since my last post: Plan B and Shiva Baby.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for black comedies. Pitch black. The darkest of dark humor.
Shiva Baby, The Heartbreak Kid, and a bonus pitch black humorous TV show: Patriot.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for good movies set substantially in Denver or Seattle (not Sleepless in Seattle pls)
10 Things I Hate About You, WarGames, Singles, Say Anything..., Streetwise, Police Beat, The Heart of the Game, Chronicle, Safety Not Guaranteed, House of Games.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zurtilik posted:

My request is vague and highly subjective but: can anyone recommended some really 'stylized' crime films? Things that I enjoyed that come to mind: Drive, Thief, Manhunter, Nightcrawler.
Point Blank, Spring Breakers, Only God Forgives, Collateral + Miami Vice + Public Enemy (very specific "style" but absolutely stylized), Mauvais Sang, Fallen Angels

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

FunkyAl posted:

What is something that's solid that it feels like only you (the poster) have ever seen.

I contribute His Master's Voice from 2018-ish
Shoot the Sun Down (1978) is a cowboy movie starring Margot Kidder and Christopher Walken. I like it a lot. It is lean, mean, and elegiac. It pairs well with an earlier, much more popular but still relatively unknown Western, The Shooting starring Jack Nicholson and Warren Oates. They're both great understated entries in the acid Western subgenre.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

tuyop posted:

I’m looking for under-appreciated or less known 70s movies, any genre really. Foreign is good too. Stuff like The China Syndrome or The Parallax View, or even borderline 70s like The Changeling.

I’m mostly determined to escape the Disney apocalypse but also these movies are really loving good and I like them.
I'm not sure what counts as "under-appreciated" or "less known" but here are some good movies:

All That Jazz, F for Fake, 3 Women, The Conformist, The Long Goodbye, Mikey and Nicky, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, The Last Waltz, Solaris, Iphigenia, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Brewster McCloud, Cría cuervos, The Heartbreak Kid, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Blue Collar, California Split, Le Cercle rouge, The Day of the Locust, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, A New Leaf, Night Moves, The Spook Who Sat by the Door, The American Friend, The American Soldier, Carnal Knowledge, Charley Varrick, Death on the Nile, Don't Look Now, Mujo (This Transient Life), The Offence, Real Life, The Day of the Jackal.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
More WW2 recommendations: Attack(1956), Das Boot (1981), Kanal (1957), Ivan's Childhood (1962).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

morestuff posted:

To Live and Die in L.A. and DePalma's Dressed To Kill, Blow Out + Body Double would probably work.

Other good neo-noirs with less of the Miami Vice coolness: Mona Lisa, The Long Good Friday, Blood Simple, 52 Pick-up
Also, Black Widow and to some extent Cutter's Way. And Kill Me Again.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gripweed posted:

I loved Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, but every Pedro Almodovar movie Ive seen since has underwhelmed me. Because they aren't farces! WotVoaNB gets so much mileage out of a simple bowl of drugged gazpacho, it's a classic farce, where all the pieces are set up, an agent of chaos is introduced, and everything gets merrily cocked up in an increasingly absurd fashion. That's what I want.

Tell, me what are the best farces?
Death at a Funeral (the original, not the remake) is great.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a place I can find some of the "top" movies that are just slightly off the mainstream, like Birdman, Jojo Rabbit, Nightmare Alley, etc.

Whenever I try to look up movies I may have missed, I end up with movies lists containing like.. The Avengers.
They Shoot Pictures, Don't They has the 1000 Greatest Films list and the 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films list.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Belarus!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Archonet posted:

I'm on a bit of a horror kick recently, and rewatched "1408" a few weeks ago. Really dig the idea of "malicious location that fucks with someone's sanity/perception of reality and time", as opposed to "spoopy ghost haunts place", the idea of a place itself just being some kind of outright malicious reality-twisting eldritch horror is interesting. Was hoping someone knew anything in the same vein. Slow burn is my jam, and preferably something well-received critically -- I don't hate so-bad-its-good campy horror movies, but they're easy to find.

Already seen Session 9, before anyone recommends it.
The Lighthouse.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BabyRyoga posted:

My "bad" movie group is running out of steam. We've seen everything under the sun. I need a legendary, completely unknown, nacho cheese movie to show for two weeks from now.

Post your favorite awful and or cheesy super obscure movies. Break out the hidden gems!
Serenity (2019) is a very recent entry onto the "legendarily bad" list.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, I'd like to request recommendations for more stull like Southland Tales and Reconguista in G. Big sci-fi stories made with a very clear creative vision, full of detail, completely unafraid of confusing people, with a message or vibe the creator is desperately trying to get across to the audience. If it's widely hated or dismissed as being confusing or pretentious, that would be ideal.
Jupiter Ascending. Cloud Atlas.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zoracle Zed posted:

what movies do 'extremely competent protagonist in over their head' as well as no country for old men?
The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

therattle posted:

Joke answers
The Big Lebowski
Inherent Vice
Airplane!
Naked Gun
Doc Sportello in Inherent Vice is actually super competent. That's not a joke answer. He's a dopey stoner but given what he's up against, what his goals are, etc. he does quite well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

Come and See is essential viewing

(if it’s not like already covered by your definition of obvious)
Not a Russian movie, but still very good!

The Man With a Movie Camera, The Return (and basically anything else by Andrey Zyagintsev), and The Cranes are Flying are great.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

Ah poo poo you’re right, I had no idea

I feel like Belorussian is adjacent enough to be valid as a recommendation, especially since it was made when the USSR was still a thing
That sort of thinking is exactly what got Ukraine invaded!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

thehandtruck posted:

I hadn't seen many Bollywood movies or taken any seriously but then I saw RRR and it was incredible. Any suggestions for great Bollywood movies, can be totally over the top like RRR or "good".
RRR is Tollywood, not Bollywood. For "good" (as opposed to over the top) check out Satyajit Ray's films.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I've been playing returnal and I'm in the mood for outer space horror. Something that emphasizes how big and empty space is and how hosed you are if something goes wrong or you encounter something unknown. Spacewalks are scary too. Shots of empty space or bizarre alien structures, with a low pitch hum accompanying it.

Monsters are ok as long as it's not just a thing with teeth and claws, it needs to be unknowable or at least uniquely alien.

Movies kind of like this I've seen:

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report
That movie with Ryan Reynolds and the space amoeba, I guess
One more to add: Aniara.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Parasite

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's sort of what Close Encounters of the Third Kind is about.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

FitFortDanga posted:

I was gonna chime in with The Exterminating Angel, although it's slightly more than 10 people.
That's even better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Michael Mann’s Last of the Mohicans.
If this is uplifting I'd hate to see the stuff you find depressing!