Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for dark/bleak/sad movies set in the American South/Appalachia

Some of the stuff I've seen and am looking for similar vibes:

Blue Ruin
True Detective Season 1
Out Of the Furnace
Gummo
Hell or High Water

Neo-westerns are ok but I'm trying to avoid traditional westerns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thanks for the recs everyone! lots to watch

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

How about a slow burn drama or character study with great acting, ideally on a major streaming platform? Something like The Phantom Thread or The Age of Innocence, I'm looking for something more low-key than, say, There Will Be Blood

Lucky, starring Harry Dean Stanton

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dune technically has Earth in the lore but I don't think there are any sort of references or mentions of it in either of the movies

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

City of Lost Children?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

As I said earlier, Dune takes place in a universe with Earth in it. It's canon.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Are there any good documentaries on NASCAR?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

What are the best World War 2 movies? They can be pro or anti war, doesn't matter.

Band of Brothers is a miniseries but its the GOAT

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Literally the two conditions I laid out were "World War 2" and "movie"

Forgive me for the grave sin of suggesting something you might enjoy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Bridge Too Far is excellent too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kong battles a pretty sweet Gorosaurus in King Kong Escapes, obviously not worth sitting through the whole movie just for one scene but luckily youtube has the scene for you to enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtylspG7PFI

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

96 spacejam posted:

Similar to The Wailing and I Saw The Devil?

Memories of Murder

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Are there any other movies like Lost In Translation or Roman Holiday ( I guess Blue Valentine would also count, alongside 500 days of summer,) where the protagonist has a chance encounter with a person that clearly changes them in someway, but where they don't end up together? Doesn't have to necessarily be a rom-com.

Cold War

Buffalo 66 (depending on how you interpret the ending)

Betty Blue (again open to intepretation but I think it'd scratch that itch)

In The Land of Blood and Honey

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

I have a rare evening home to myself coming up and plan to watch the kind of film my fiance usually vetoes, preferably a sci-fi horror.

I really liked Coherence if anyone can recommend something in a similar vein. I've had Resolution on my list for a while but I didn't love The Endless.
I'd like to get thoroughly spooked or unsettled so really looking for something that takes itself seriously.

Tarkovsky's Stalker if you want something slower and a little more mature

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

morestuff posted:

Would love any recommendations for moody, low-key scores. Thinking in the David Shire, Reznor, Greenwood lane. Bonus if it's on Spotify.

Neil Young's soundtrack on Dead Man is one of my favorite film scores. It's not quite as low key as the other stuff you mentioned but it's definitely moody and I think you'd enjoy it!

EDIT: I just realized it might not be on spotify bc of the recent Neil Young-Spotify controversy, but it's def worth checking out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I despeartely need a third in this trilogy. They are two of the best films of the century so far and just exude incredible moods.

The two just wrote a new film score for a documentary about Snow Leopards!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

suicidal cowboys are to snow leopards as homicidal lumberjacks are to snow aliens

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Sleazy 80s neo-noir that gives those cool Miami Vice vibes? The rest of Mann's catalogue aside, obviously.

Nighthawks maybe?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Howdy me again.

I recently watched the Edward Norton/Ben Stiller rom-com "Keeping the Faith" on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. I really enjoyed how it portrayed religion as like... important but another part of life, and how it was about adults trying to handle the complications between higher callings and romance in a pretty nuanced and believable way up until the predictable rom-com mandated ending. Are there any other movies out there that portray kind of the push-pull between being a human being and being religious? I can only think of "First Reformed" "Diary of A Country Priest" and maaybe "Winter Light" with "Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring" kind of skirting the line. Doesn't need to be a rom-com.

Thanks!

Silence is about a Jesuit missionary who goes to 17th century Japan, where he struggles with his faith as he tries to minister to the faithful while Japan had outlawed all Christianity. It might be a bit more "religious" than the other movies you listed but I think you'd enjoy how it explores someone trying to balance their faith with their situation (tho its more about his struggle to hold onto faith than it is to balance it with secular life)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm looking for more "in depth" documentaries about bands/musicians. I've recently watched Nick Cave's "One More Time With Feeling", Swans' "Where Does a Body End" and Bobby Liebling's "Last Days Here"

The genre of the music really doesn't matter, any genre is welcome. What I'm looking for are music docs that chronicle musicians that are still working and overcoming some sort of tragedy/hardship. It's a pretty broad criteria so if something doesn't exactly fit the bill feel free to suggest it. The only thing I'd really like is that there be footage/interview with the musician while they're still alive or working, rather than a retrospective documentary on a musician who has passed. "Chasing Trane" was a fantastic doc on John Coltrane, but not really what I was looking for.

I guess docs that feature the musicians themselves rather than a narrator.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

All of those I've seen (except the older Zappa one) but are perfect suggestions for what I'm looking for!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for recs for obscure movies/series that depict characters going through war and how it changes them. I realize this is broad and pretty true of any war movie but I'm looking more specifically for stuff that focuses on characters changing as they fight.

Some examples of what ive seen that fit the bill: Come and See (1985), Generation Kill, Full Metal Jacket, Attack on Titan, Restrepo, BoB/The Pacific

So its pretty broad, the only thing I ask is the the movie/series explore how war affects the characters as they are fighting. I'm less interested in movies like Brothers or the Deer Hunter which are about the soldiers dealing with PTSD after they come home, more about how they deal with it as they fight

Fictional wars or scifi/fantasy wars are fine too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam post

Thanks for the rec, I dig mechs so Im going to check this out! The original MSG has a full series and an abridged 3 movie version: would you reccomend watching the full series or should I just watch the 3 movies?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Are there any "dreamlike" or "hallucinatory" action movies out there? Other than Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising I can't think of too many.

Aquire: The Wrath of God

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Since you are specifically after the portrayal of characters in war, definitely the series. The movies are fine if you just want the story, but the series goes way more in depth with the characters.

Sounds good, looks like one of my streaming services has the full series so I'm gonna jump in. Thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tuyop posted:

Looking for more genuinely hilarious and weird low budget movies, sci fi is a plus. I loved The American Astronaut and Dark Star for example.

The Alien Factor is my favorite of these and I love this genre. Hilarious, weird, as low budget as it comes, tons of charm and heart, and a lot of really cool aliens/monsters!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

busalover posted:

I need some dumb jingoist movies for the upcoming war. Think Rambo 2 or 3, but made in the last ten years. Is The Expendables any good? Idk maybe something with younger actors would be cool.

married but discreet posted:

Black Hawk Down is probably the best dumb jingo bullshit movie, just a tremendous piece of war propaganda, but it doesnt' quite make the date cutoff.
Lone Survivor is another one, but it's not even a good movie.

I have to disagree with this. BHD is fairly accurate to the actual events and Lone Survivor is really more of a tale of survival than it is jingoist: if anything it kinda pushes the idea that the US military needs help from Aghanistan/Iraq locals because they're the ones who save Luttrell.

Act of Valor and American Sniper are the two ultra-jingoist action movies you want op, and Red Dawn as another poster suggested (tho watch the original, not the remake)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

What are some good pro-Russia movies?

Youll have to be more specific since Russia a hundred years ago is different than Russia today and that keeps going back into history forever

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

pro-tsarist Russia, pro-Soviet Russia, pro-modern neoliberal Russia, any of it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Soviet_propaganda_films

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Crimson Pirate

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Alien Factor

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for more European crime/political thrillers that I haven't seen yet. The Long Good Friday, Day of the Jackal, Z, The Battle of Algiers were all really good. Le Cercle Rouge not bad, did not dig State of Siege or Get Carter as much. What am I missing? Any newer examples of this genre that still have the same "feel" to them?

not new but I assume you've seen the French Connection?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, I'd like to request recommendations for more stull like Southland Tales and Reconguista in G. Big sci-fi stories made with a very clear creative vision, full of detail, completely unafraid of confusing people, with a message or vibe the creator is desperately trying to get across to the audience. If it's widely hated or dismissed as being confusing or pretentious, that would be ideal.

It's not sci-fi, and it doesn't have a clear message, but I feel like Inland Empire is definitely going to scratch that itch.

It was shot on digital so it's physically hard on the eyes (especially due to its length), but there's a new remastered version coming out soon!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, I'd like to request recommendations for more stull like Southland Tales and Reconguista in G. Big sci-fi stories made with a very clear creative vision, full of detail, completely unafraid of confusing people, with a message or vibe the creator is desperately trying to get across to the audience. If it's widely hated or dismissed as being confusing or pretentious, that would be ideal.

Last Year at Marienbad perhaps?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm not sure if you actually meant to reply to me, but that's 100% the movie I meant in my post above!

Oops yeah I accidentally replied to the wrong person, but glad I was able to solve the mystery! It's a great movie too!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

By sheer coincidence, I watched Last Year At Marienbad last night and loved it (not surprising if you've kept up with my previous posts in the thread.) However there was one element that made it a unique watch for me. I loved the way things would "echo" in the movie, for instance the way the opening narration repeats multiple times, or the movement in a scene would refer to previous dialogue. It felt almost like the cinematic equivalent of dub music or feedback or something. Taking a familiar element and twisting it into a new configuration. I'm not entirely sure if that articulates what I'm after, but is there anything like that out there at all? I almost feel like I'm asking more for video art recommendations versus pure cinema, but I've been kind of obsessed with this idea and I'm curious if it's been explored at all.

I think Lost Highway fits this better than Inland Empire. The entire movie is often described as a "Mobius strip", and multiple watches really reveal lots of moments like the stuff youre searching for

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Yeah, Lynch was my first thought. Watching Marienbad, it's very clear it must have had a pretty big impact on his directorial style. I've seen all his stuff multiple times, but maybe approaching Lost Highway with Marienbad in mind will give me a new perspective on it. Thanks!

Lost Highway is a great film to rewatch in general, as you start to catch more things and become aware of the clues you think you're starting to piece it together until another puzzle piece doesn't fit and you have to re-imagine your entire theories. It's chasing a dragon since it's Lynch, there's never an official explanation, but the fun is coming up with your own theories and explanations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zoracle Zed posted:

what movies do 'extremely competent protagonist in over their head' as well as no country for old men?

Drive

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Seconding Captain Phillips.

Apollo 13 fits the description perfectly too, speaking of Hanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tower Heist
Dragged Across Concrete is fairly tame despite the title
Dog Day Afternoon