Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Watched The Mask Of Zorro on a whim last night and ended up enjoying it. Looking for similar sorts of low-stakes swashbuckling\romance\adventure movies, closest I can think of would be the first two Pirates of The Caribbean films.

Prisoner of Zenda works pretty well. Both the villains kill it, and it ends with a sick rapier duel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies where the main character or a central theme is being extremely, incredibly and/or maniacally dedicated to a cause or belief (whatever that may be). Doesn't matter what the specifics are or if the cause/belief is positive or negative. Some stuff I've seen recently seen that's what I'm looking for

Silence (dedicated to religion)

Letters From Iwo Jima (dedicated to Japanese empire)

Hostiles (main character's beliefs that Native Americans are evil)

Changeling (belief that son is an imposter)

King of Comedy (belief that main character has regarding his comedy career)

As you can see it's a pretty broad/open question so feel free to toss out whatever you think applies.

Patriotism by Mishima along with Mishima a life in four chapters by Schrader.

Andrei Rublev by Tarkovsky

Ad Astra by Grey

The Man who loved Women by Truffaut.

Cape Fear, Touch of Evil, The Conversation and nearly every Mann movie as well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fallen angels?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

buglord posted:

requesting movies that don't make you feel like poo-poo after. world is bleak and tough, need something that inspires hope, offers a way to look at things in a more positive light. it doesn't need to have political tones or relevance to the world today, it can just be "heres a story about a frog that wanted to be as big as a house and then did so" or "this goblin's family got killed by the heroes and here's how he made peace with that" or maybe its a movie you like that features cars but makes you feel like you can take on the world each time you finish it.

Every Rocky after the first
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
A Man Escaped
Millénium Actress
Conan the Barbarian

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw man, it just grounds it. poo poo happens man don't mean you don't still love someone

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know, I feel that. Before Sunset has maybe the best ending in cinema, easily if we refine it to Romantic Films. Going from that to Midnight is a real rough road to walk.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

Ran, Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Polanski's Macbeth, The Prisoner of Zenda, Babylon, Abel Gance's Napoleon (it ends on a high point, but you know Napoleon didn't go out the way he would've preferred. It's also absolutely incredible what it was doing back in 27).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Martian would've been such a good film if Damon had bit off his tongue in the first scene.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was a light novel not a graphic novel.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Onomarchus posted:

Since you liked Moonlight you might try Boyhood, if only to compare. Bildungsroman (not just coming-of-age, which can cover a short period like Stand by Me) isn't a common movie subgenre, and the only alternative approach to Moonlight's is Boyhood's. I'm not aware of anything like Boyhood being done in film before or since, though apparently Linklater's trying again.

Truffaut's Antoine Doinel series starting with 400 Blows, although that's 3 films and one short.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I'd call Le Samouraï a noir, it's ancestor is the gangster movie and it's lineage The Driver and Drive. They should watch it anyways though because it's loving sick, then Le Cercle Rouge afterwords to see the ancestor of Heat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Army of Shadows is definitely a watch for you then too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It feels consensus that it's Quentin's worst. It's also probably his least watched of his modern work.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kill Bill Duology is sliding into the slot Jackie Brown used to occupy as the hipster best film now that the general consensus on Jackie Brown has been suitably reappraised. Personally I think Once upon a time...is his best but that's not super popular

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Before Sunrise/Sunset
Brief Encounter
Chunking Express
Handmaiden
La Jetée
Carol
The Earrings of Madame de...
Remains of the Day
Punch Drunk Love
Two English Girls
Brooklyn
Ocean Waves
The Age of Innocence

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jules and Jim as a romance is debatable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Punch Drunk Love, The Batman, The Master arguably, You Were Never Really There

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't watch that poo poo. Start with Mobile Suit Gundam

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Better response. Tatami Galaxy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grey Elephants posted:

I watched Aniara recently and haven't stopped thinking about it. Any other movies where the horror/tension comes from the sheer vastness and isolation of time and space?

Ad Astra kinda

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Bike Riders which should be coming out this year. Oh now it's 24

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

glasnost toyboy posted:

I just watched Hotel Artemis which was a pleasant surprise and a sneakily stacked cast.

Any recommendations for recent well made/sufficiently budgeted sci-fi that might have slid under the radar?

Ad Astra

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about people facing the end of their lives, either by their own hand or unwillingly.

Bieutiful, Lucky, Dallas Buyers Club, Ikiru, Leaving Las Vegas, stuff like that

The entire SAW franchise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

It's not about the performance itself, more the overall quality of the movie. And I'd rather not sort through 100 years of Best Actress winners.

Good suggestions, thanks!

The Double life of Véronique
Three Colors Red
Carol
TAR
L'Avventura
La Notte
L'Eclisse
Red Desert
Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Persona
The Birds
Rules of the Game

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 17, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Céline and Julie is great. Great movie to throw on and chill to.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should watch more movies. They're good, mostly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

True Romance. You get both.

The Before series
Chunking Express
In the Mood For Love

I know a lot more but I cannot think of them at the moment

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fire in the Sky

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blowout for an incredibly well made but still schlocky political thriller in the vein of The Conversation and Snake Eyes for a film that doubles down on that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, did nobody seriously say Chinatown? We should be ashamed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

what I love about Blow Out is that it's De Palma doing a not-so-sneaky remake of Anthonini's Blow-Up, and kicking Anthonini's rear end.

Naw, Blowout is a good movie. Blowup is a transcendent piece of art that forces you to reflect on the very nature of the medium.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Escaflowne too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I finally have one! Enjoyed Late Night with the Devil, looking to find more like it - TV broadcasts gone wrong and so on.

I've got, so far, Ghostwatch, WNUF Halloween Special, but I'm looking for more of this type of thing. Late Night was great, minus the ending, which - in true found footage fashion - was a bit weak

King of Comedy, Joker, maybe Quiz Show I've never seen it