Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Ask for movie recommendations here!

Guidelines For Those Asking For Suggestions:

:coffee: Try to be clear about what you're looking for. If it's something specific, say so. If it's a vague direction, say so.
:coffee: List movies/books/comics/video games/tv shows or anything else that is relevant to what you're looking for.
:coffee: If you're looking for results on a specific streaming service, specify what services you have available.
:coffee: If you think a recommendation is inappropriate for the request, try to explain your thoughts constructively and without insult. This is not a thread to dunk on other movies or posters.

Guidelines For Those Recommending Films:
:coffee: Explain why you think people might like the film -- don't just throw out a title and say "it's awesome", explain why ("I liked the parts with the Michael Shannon's rear end", "A dude gets decapitated with a blow torch")
:coffee: Try to recommend something specific. "You'd probably like every Harmony Korine film" is fine, if it's appropriate and you give enough reason.
:coffee: If you're responding to someone's request by recommend something they didn't ask for, make sure you say why the person asking for a rom-com might enjoy what appears to be a murder-mystery on the surface.
:coffee: If your recommendation is lengthy, try to do a tl;dr sentence or two at the end.

Of course all CineD rules and SomethingAwful rules apply here.

This is not GenChat, or the Identify A Movie For Me thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What are some movies and documentaries about photography and photographers? Something where the art of photography is part of the text or themes, not necessarily something like You're Next where a character uses a camera for a single iconic scene.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
These are all excellent suggestions, and all are new to me. Thank you.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

space marine todd posted:

Thanks! Also, recommendations for grand/"epic" romantic movies (like The Fountain)?

I feel like Chungking Express and In The Mood for Love fit this.
The Before Trilogy, too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a best or definitive documentary about HP Lovecraft?

Preferably something that doesn't hold back on his lovely views/fears, how weird he was, and what inspired him to write.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I have no idea about anything longer or more in depth, but here's a great short doc about his place within the science-fiction pantheon, framed on his relationship with Howard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dnrcVZIK7M

It takes place within a great series breaking down the history of science-fiction and can tide you over until someone gives a better answer

That was fun and cool. I’m gonna check out more of these. Thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Other than Star Wars, what other proper "space fantasy" movies or TV shows are there? Which I would define as movies where Earth or human beings from Earth are not involved at all, yet there are multiple planets and/or methods to get to and from those planets.

Krull comes to mind. Maaaybe Dark Crystal/Resistance. ThunderCats pretty much counts. And the Discworld adaptations, I suppose. And, uh, maybe the Sonic cartoon where he has a robot uncle? But even most of those all take place on a single planet. Everything else I can think of seems to be set far into humanity's future.

Flash Gordon is a pretty obvious one with a contemporaneous setting. Zardoz, too, I think

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is Barbarella from Earth?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I’m looking for under-appreciated or less known 70s movies, any genre really. Foreign is good too. Stuff like The China Syndrome or The Parallax View, or even borderline 70s like The Changeling.

I’m mostly determined to escape the Disney apocalypse but also these movies are really loving good and I like them.

Last Hurrah For Chivalry
Driller Killer
Tourist Trap
Someone's Watching Me
Magic
The Eyes of Laura Mars
Long Weekend
The Fury
Petey Wheatstraw
Desperate Living
Klute
Martin
Alice Sweet Alice
God Told Me To
Who Can Kill A Child
The Tenant
Barry Lyndon
The Last Detail
Yakuza (1974)
The Last Detail
Shivers
The Devils
The Switchblade Sisters
Mr. Majestyk
Deathdream
The Legend of Hell House
Coffy
Paper Moon
Images
Whoever Slew Auntie Roo
Blood On Satan's Claw
Wanda
Theater of Blood
Black Belt Jones
Let's Scare Jessica To Death

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 4, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
No idea why this became a double post.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Recommend me some Peter Sellers movies.

I watched Being There over the weekend and loved it, and it gave me the itch to dig into the lesser-known movies.

I've seen the Kubricks. I've seen a few Clouseau capers but I don't remember any of them, so maybe a recommendation on where to stop with those would be fun.

I plan to work in The Ghost of Peter Sellers in there, but I feel like it would be more interesting after watching a few more films of his first.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

And Kind Hearts and Coronets if you just want him playing every role.

I added Mouse That Roared, but I believe you're mistaking Alec Guinness for him in Kind Hearts.

Gripweed posted:

The Magic Christian! Peter Sellers is a millionaire, Ringo Starr is the homeless man he adopted as his son, and together they use their riches to get up to shenanigans

The novel this is based on is very funny, so I'll check it out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Looking for an action movie where the hero beats up the bad guys, but he/she also gets hosed up over the course of the movie. Persistent, meaningful wounds, now he walks funny, oops bad guy really hurt his hand so now he's favoring his left, that kind of thing.

Pretty much any Jean-Claude Van Damme movie fits the bill, but specifically Bloodsport, Lionheart, and Sudden Death come to mind. I have a soft spot for Inferno and Kickboxer as well.

Bruce Lee and early Jackie Chan know how to take the blows, too. Enter The Dragon for Lee, Police Story films or Drunken Master films for Chan.

Deadbeat At Dawn. Blade of the Immortal. VFW. Best of the Best.

Die Hard, Robocop, Gladiator, The Raid, Mandy are obvious picks.

For anti-recommendations, pretty much avoid anything with Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal. They've never been hit on celluloid. (Well, Norris took hits before he became a lead actor.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

requesting movies that don't make you feel like poo-poo after. world is bleak and tough, need something that inspires hope, offers a way to look at things in a more positive light. it doesn't need to have political tones or relevance to the world today, it can just be "heres a story about a frog that wanted to be as big as a house and then did so" or "this goblin's family got killed by the heroes and here's how he made peace with that" or maybe its a movie you like that features cars but makes you feel like you can take on the world each time you finish it.

David Lynch’s The Straight Story
Linklater’s first two movies in the Before trilogy
Harold & Maude, Being There
Raising Arizona
Tokyo Godfathers if you want Christmas vibes.
Paper Moon
Night Is Short Walk On Girl
Mister Lonely
Your Name
for lots of song and dance numbers, The Young Girls of Rochefort

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Before Midnight is a great film, but like Gaius said, it's about a lived-in relationship with baggage and sometimes old scars get exposed, especially with two strong-willed characters like Jesse and Celine.

It's my least favorite of the three, but it's no less great. It's just more serious and the conversations and situation are heavier compared to the love-drunk Sunrise and Sunset.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What's an adventure movie that blends sci-fi and fantasy in a cool and fun way like KRULL?

My buddy and I watched KRULL a while ago, and he's always asking me for something similar, but that movie's weirdly specific in tone and style. Beastmaster kinda scratched the same itch, although it doesn't have the sci-fi elements with the fantasy.

I watched Zardoz, thinking it'd maybe work, and while that movie is a lot of things, it's not in the same vein.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fighting Elegy posted:

I got a fun one for you

I've been addicted to 90's thrillers lately. The more outlandish the better! I find them to be pretty entertaining and unchallenging to watch. You usually get A+ acting mixed with highly improbably stories.

One thing I do need to specify is I do need a disclaimer if the movie has scenes that show sexual violence. I watch most movies with my gf around and she doesn't like that stuff. You can recommend it but just give me a little warning. Goofy sex scenes and nudity are a-ok though!

Here's what I've watched and liked

Ricochet (1991) - i admit this movie is straight up the best movie ever. Jon Lithgow and Denzel are great and yes, the plot doesn't make much sense.
Pacific Heights
Reversal of Fortune
Shattered
Raising Cain

I was thinking of checking out Presumed Innocent tonight.

The new-ish term for most of these are Yuppie Nightmares, so you can also look up Letterboxd lists for more recs.

The Fan
The Net
Shallow Grave
Consenting Adults
Sleeping With The Enemy
The Guardian
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle - (The opening sequence has a sexual assault with a gynecologist and a patient. Nothing is shown, it's not rape, and it's integral to the subsequent events.)

If you liked Raising Cane, also check out Snake Eyes.

Also check out thrillers written by Joe Eszterhas, he's great at these: Basic Instinct, Jagged Edge, Sliver; also the schlocky and nonsensical Jade (which is very bad but also bizarre and watchable, albeit confusing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fighting Elegy posted:

Thanks for this! Had no idea what I was looking for was sort of a sub-genre. It seems a lot of seems to involve a Femme Fatale leading to the destruction of the main character's American Dream and while I usually prefer my villains to not have to rely on bedding the protagonist to make their plan work I can certainly enjoy an unhinged pretty lady too so long as they are good at acting.

I'll be watching Breakdown tonight. Have no idea what I'm in for but I find that usually improves these kinds of movies.

I've got another recommendation, cuz I watched it last night:

The River Wild with Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, John C. Reilly, and Buffy the dog as "Maggie".