Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm looking for films or TV shows that are similar to The Thing. Not necessarily horror or aliens, I'm leaning more towards cold weather, isolation, big parka coats and survival. The TV series Fortitude and the film Hold the Dark are pretty good examples of the kind of aesthetic I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Haven't seen it myself but I think that's a pretty good description of 30 Days of Night.

Yeah, 30 Days of Night is a great film and that's what I'm looking for.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Black Mountain Side is a pretty good (for its budget which is low) Lovecraftian horror film about Canadian archaeologists who discover an ancient black pyramid in the snow.

Also Ravenous which is about cannabalism and Western expansion in the 1840’s.

The first season of The Terror is about sailors iced in for years in sailboats, starving, going insane and getting eaten by a demonic polar bear. Stellar cast too.

I like horror set in the cold.

Black Side Mountain sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for thanks! I really enjoyed The Terror as well, that definitely warrants another rewatch.

I just remembered about cold weather ice horror film I definitely won't be watching again: Alien vs Predator.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Sort of, it's got many of the things that I'm looking for but I'm after something a bit more modern. The Hateful Eight is a fantastic film though and I feel it's somehow underrated.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can anybody recommend any horror movies for kids 12 years old? They don't have to be particularly good. We've watched Brahms the Boy II which was awful but they enjoyed it. I was gonna say nothing with too much blood and gore but remembered we watched 30 Days of Night recently and they loved it.

Monster or ghost or killer doll movies would be ideal.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That's fine, any suggestions are welcome.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

All 10 canonical Friday the 13th movies

Jason Lives might actually be a good shout because it's hilariously over the top.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you want the actual speedrun version, it’s 3, 4, 6 and X.

You forgot 5 man.

Thank you for the suggestions, Tremors is a great idea for next time.

We went with The Faculty tonight, they loved it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Drop whatever you're doing and watch Versus immediately

Amazing film, I watch this once a year. It's like an insane mixture of Highlander, Resident Evil and Battle Royale.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve got a real soft spot for 50s sci-fi, but I’ve seen all the standards (Forbidden Planet, Body Snatchers, Them!, Day the Earth Stood Still, This Island Earth, etc.) dozens of times already.

Looking for stuff that’s lesser known but still notable. Bonus points if it skews more space/alien themed than giant bugs or atomic horrors (though those recs are still welcome).

About fifteen years ago a pound shop in my town started selling a ton of these 50s horror sci-fi monster movies on DVD. I bought as many as I could but I've somehow lost them all through several different house moves :(

The Brain That Wouldn't Die
Attack of the Crab Monsters
King of the Zombies
Indestructible Man
The Thing From Another World
The Killer Shrews

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve got a real soft spot for 50s sci-fi, but I’ve seen all the standards (Forbidden Planet, Body Snatchers, Them!, Day the Earth Stood Still, This Island Earth, etc.) dozens of times already.

Looking for stuff that’s lesser known but still notable. Bonus points if it skews more space/alien themed than giant bugs or atomic horrors (though those recs are still welcome).

www.badmovies.org/movies is a pretty fun review site of these kinds of films.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The Lost Coast Tapes is about a documentary crew who travel out into the forest to see the corpse of a Bigfoot, that a hunter has killed - and it gets more crazy from there. It's found footage style and I really enjoyed it.

YellowBrickRoad is an okay film but has a much smaller budget and it shows. It's about an entire town that went missing. It's been years since I've watched it.

Altitude is another good film and while it might not be exactly the kind of thing you're looking for it has some Coast to Coast AM tropes like missing planes, time loops, and a giant Cthulu rip-off in the sky.

The Mothman Prophecies looks beautiful and there are so genuinely creepy moments but it's not a great film overall.

The Fourth Kind (a documentary/drama hybrid) is an interesting concept which doesn't translate too well. I wonder if a superior director could have made it better.

Altered is an underrated horror film about some guys who were abducted by aliens when they were kids and now they're grown up, one of them has killed an alien. The other aliens are not pleased about this and things get progressively worse for everyone. It's much better than I've just described.

And I know these aren't movies but old episodes of Unsolved Mysteries are available on YouTube and some of the UFO segments (Guardian, Gulf Breeze, Rendelsham) and the Big Foot segments are very Coast To Coast.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can anybody recommend any good political thrillers? I've recently watched The Parallax View and Three Days of the Condor and they've been great. Bonus points if they're from the 70s because I love the aesthetic but this isn't a necessity.

Similar films I've enjoyed are The Ghost (Writer), Day of the Jackal, early seasons of US House of Cards and the original British House of Cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's not a movie but anthology TV show Inside Number 9 did an episode similar to Ghostwatch called Dead Line.