Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

Just rewatched Hunt for Red October and I'd like recommendations for anything in the same sort of "character actors arguing with/out thinking each other" vein.

A Time to Kill, Primal Fear, A Few Good Men, that type of thing?

There's some solid work in Michael Mann's ouvre too - The Insider is mostly Russell Crowe and Al Pacino talking and it's riveting

I see you put 12 Angry Men on the list, it's a nice double bill with Lumet's other classic Network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jack Lemmon rules. Which reminds me of another reccomendation - the profane and moody Glengarry Glen Ross, assuming you can stand the sight of Kevin Spacey

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

LionYeti posted:

Just saw The Handmaiden. Looking for more movies that have that kind of tense emotional relationships, crossing and doublecrossing. Friend already recommended The Favorite so I put that on the list.

Ingmar Bergman's "Persona" is a classic of this type of film, though it is a bit slow to start

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

I think a similar question was asked itt but I cant remember.

I'm looking for some movies/docs about people who are the BEST at what they do. Like just top level professionals.

Some examples of what I liked that fit:

For All Mankind/Apollo 13/First Man

I love the professionalism and expertise.

Heat is another great example. Bank robbers at the absolute top tier.

The subject interests me less as much as "these people are the BEST at what they do"

Non-fiction/historical fiction/biopics :

The Man Who Knew Infinity
A Brief History of Time (The Theory of Everything is good too but , since the story in TTOE glosses over some of Hawkings' more salacious bits, go with the one Hawking wrote)
The Imitation Game (this one also skipped some of the more unsavory aspects of Alan Turing's life, so YMMV)
21 (If watching a Kevin Spacey movie is an issue, skip it)
F for Fake / Color Me Kubrick double feature

Fictional :

Sneakers
The Martian

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm looking for globe-trotting adventure or spy movies. Ideally it's the kind that's largely an excuse for there to be a bunch of glamorous and exotic locations to have a fight, chase, or stunt in, and is at least somewhat possible to take seriously. But not James Bond.

Red Notice
Uncharted

Globe trotting spy flicks are coming back in style

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Weird, trippy low-budget sci-fi? Lesser-known, below even Zardoz and Conquest. Like, bottom-of-the-barrel stuff but with big visual and/or philosophical ambition. Just watched the 1983 Hercules with its crazy weirdo sci-fi tone and I don't care how bad it is I adore it swinging for the fences.

Hardware (killer robot locked room with Ministry soundtrack)

Split Second (grimdark monster movie with Rutger Hauer just chewing scenery and it's funny too)

Life Force (The Space Vampires but from the director of Poltergeist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Zero Effect is about the world's best private investigator who is a train wreck in all other areas of his life. It's a comedy/drama/mystery, so maybe not what you're after. However, it is wonderful.

Seconding this, Bill Pullman is channeling Nicholas Cage and Ben Stiller is fairly restrained, which works for him.

As for me, I'm looking for any movie that has the eerie vibe of The Wailing, it's been one of my favorites in the past month and I just know there's others like it out there somewhere but how do you google that without getting results like "just watch True Detective" or somesuch

Looking for small town murder mysteries, ghost stories, stuff like that but with the slow burn creeping dread The Wailing pulled off. Doesn't have to be Korean, a film with a decent dub is preferred but not a dealbreaker

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about fighters/boxers/wrestlers that focus on redemption or comebacks

Some of what I've enjoyed:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

and of course the Rocky movies. Foreign films are welcome but I'm not looking for Bruce Lee/Ip Man style choreographed martial arts, more slugfests

Your mileage may vary but I enjoyed Cinderella Man, Bayou Caviar, Million Dollar Baby and Hands of Stone

for a sci-fi version, Real Steel has boxing but with robots

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

double nine posted:

I rewatched The Mummy (1999) the other day and I was wondering if you knew similar campy adventure-horrory movies. Pirates of the Caribbean and the indiana jones films are the only ones that I feel come close :(

Romancing the Stone
Sahara
Hildago
that CG Tin Tin movie was dope
Jungle Cruise (don't laugh, i was as surprised as anyone!)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

magic cactus posted:

I just re-watched Clean, Shaven for the first time in a couple of years and forgot how great it was. One of the things I really like is how it really focuses on sound and sound design to bring you deeper into its world. Does anyone have any other recommendations for movies where sound/sound design is used like this? Off the top of my head I can name Berberian Sound Studio and Sound of Metal, I'm optimistic about Flux Gourmet as well but I don't think that's out yet. David Lynch's stuff counts too, of course. Any other suggestions?

Whiplash
The Conversation
Blow Out

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

magic cactus posted:

I've seen Whiplash and The Conversation but Blow Out is new to me. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

it's a nice double feature with Blow Up, the movie that it's based on. But Blow Up is about photography, so not as much focus on sound design.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

magic cactus posted:

Yeah I've seen (and loved) Blow Up, but Blow Up with sound seems like a great idea.

It's DePalma so you can't really go wrong. I never bought Travolta as a leading man till I saw it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Stumbled on the Vinegar Syndrome release of The Scary of Sixty First and started looking up some other stuff they released and was reminded that I must not know as much about weird horror/absurd flicks as I thought.

Recommend me something trashy, gory or weird for a themed movie playlist I'm putting together. So far I've got :

Assholes
Gummo
Raw Nerve
The Little Hours
An Evening with Beverly Luff Lin

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Tea Bone posted:

I've just got back from seeing Beast and while it had it's problems I'd like to see some more recent-ish films set in the bush/game reserves. They don't necessarily need to be survival movies like Beast.

Also with Halloween coming up, I know it's a taboo phrase but I'm looking for some good horror movies which aren't "elevated horror", so more focus on scares and atmosphere than subtext. I've probably seen most of the obvious English language ones, I enjoyed Hell House LLC, Grave Encounters, Session 9 and As Above So Below (I'm noticing now that these are all found footage, but they don't have to be)

Psycho Goreman
Skull : The Mask
Goodnight Mommy
High Tension
Suicide Club
Tale of Two Sisters
Trouble Every Day
Raw
Teeth
Possessor
Queen of Black Magic
Martyrs

Now that Goddard has passed, I don't know where to start with his films - I liked Jack Palance a lot so I'm guessing Contempt?

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 13, 2022

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I've been playing returnal and I'm in the mood for outer space horror. Something that emphasizes how big and empty space is and how hosed you are if something goes wrong or you encounter something unknown. Spacewalks are scary too. Shots of empty space or bizarre alien structures, with a low pitch hum accompanying it.

Monsters are ok as long as it's not just a thing with teeth and claws, it needs to be unknowable or at least uniquely alien.

Movies kind of like this I've seen:

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report
That movie with Ryan Reynolds and the space amoeba, I guess

I'd add Passengers, High Life and Moon to this list as the threat isn't monsters but various other things

as for monsters/creatures :

Pandorum
Cloverfield Paradox
Oblivion

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Azhais posted:

The existential horror of being trapped on a ship with an incel

that's what i'm saying. there's a fan edit called Passengers : Aurora which really cranks this up and makes Chris Pratt's character look like a maniac

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for a movie similar to Punch Drunk Love. Awkward courtship between outsiders. Ending in either success or failure, it'd be interesting to see both.

Chunking Express
Hannah and her Sisters
Lady Bird
But I'm A Cheerleader
The Lobster

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about isolation. Not like movies about loneliness around people, but rather people who are literally isolated/not around other humans. Moon is a great example of what I'm looking for.

The movie doesn't have to only have one character/actor as long as the main purpose of the plot or a big chunk of it is having to deal with isolation.

Buried
127 Hours
The Martian
Gravity
Life of Pi
Her

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about isolation. Not like movies about loneliness around people, but rather people who are literally isolated/not around other humans. Moon is a great example of what I'm looking for.

The movie doesn't have to only have one character/actor as long as the main purpose of the plot or a big chunk of it is having to deal with isolation.

Cast Away
Room

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Origami Dali posted:

Looking for any good movies with a similar mood or tone to The Verdict. It's got a very particular kind of sadness to it. About lost opportunity, growing old and being weary from the weight of a harsh world, and doing one last good deed despite the odds stacked against you. It's a melancholy movie that is weirdly cozy. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is a bit in that vein, I think. Anything else?

The Insider, a low-key great from Michael Mann
The Crossing Guard, a stellar Nicholson performance
Clean and Sober, a moody Michael Keaton

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Dessel posted:

I watched The Hunt for the Red October for the first time ever, and really enjoyed how it differs from modern action/thrillers. Maybe it's the 90's, slower pace, less bombastic, less reliance on CGI, less joke-y stuff or something (it felt downright cozy), but are there any modern equivalent films of this type? The fact it had submarines was completely irrelevant for me to be honest.

I should probably rewatch bunch of 90's action thriller films I don't remember a thing about but I genuinely am wondering if anything more modern approaches this kind of a film? Could be a fairly known box office hit, I'm not a big film buff. But contrasting away from modern action films and marvel-like stuff.

The other Jack Ryan movies from that time period really hold up :

Clear and Present Danger
Patriot Games

More modern stuff like it? Fewer and farther between, I second the Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy recommendation and would add :

A Most Wanted Man
The Bridge of Spies
The Constant Gardener
The Night Manager (the one with Hugh Laurie)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Bad Guys

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Wreck It Ralph
Rumble
Ron's Gone Wrong
The Willoughbys
Mitchells vs The Machines

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

I have a weird craving for a good horror movie with a demon villain whose ambitions aim higher than "inflict relatively juvenile terror on some random family for kicks". I don't know why I keep inflicting James Wan movies upon myself and would love for a palate cleanser where the antagonist isn't just some petty pest to send the roach patrol after.

Surely an effectively immortal and profoundly evil being has far better things to do with its time?

Noroi : The Curse is a found footage Japanese movie, it's more about the researcher following the demon. Kind of in the neighborhood of what you're after

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Renting a cabin for New Years with the possibility of being snowed in. What’s some good frozen horror? Shining and the Thing of course, but any deeper cuts?

The Lodge
Frozen (2010, not the musical)
Blackcoats Daughter
The Last Winter (Ron Perlman!)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

escape artist posted:

need recommendations for what's good on the criterion channel. i got a month because I thought it had Straw Dogs but apparently it doesn't.

This playlist of the Sight and Sound Directors Choice list is a great start :
https://www.criterionchannel.com/sight-and-sound-directors-greatest-films-of-all-time

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are some decent "spooky medieval action fantasy" movies? Think like 13th warrior, the bit in Greta and Hansel where the huntsman is briefly present, that recent Viking movie based on the old tale that also influenced Hamlet, etc.

I guess another way to put it would be stuff like the spookier parts of LotR?

I'll take any decent B movie recommendations, I figure I've already seen anything that would be called truly excellent, like The Green Knight.

Not medieval but I always think of The Brotherhood of the Wolf for this vibe

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking for more movies like Boiling Point which are thrillers but have relatively low stakes and deal with subject matter that isn't the usual fare.

Killing of a Sacred Deer
Cachet/Hidden
We Need to Talk About Kevin

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

magic cactus posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for "pseudo-intellectuals talking non-stop" movies ala Whit Stillman and Noah Baumbach? Just re-watched kicking and screaming and that whole "people talking abstractly about nothing" conceit was really entertaining. I've seen most of Linklaters stuff too. Just to clarify, I like these movies, just the content and way the dialogue is written is so unlike real life I find it amusing. Maybe it's a 90s thing?

More Baumbach? Try the newly released White Noise. The dialogue alone is very abstract and there's lines like "your wife has important hair" that baffle me

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

FueledBySatan posted:

I wanna see the best found footage movie from the last tear or two. I usually keep up with them as they come out, but it's been a while. I recently have watched Noroi, Cult, and The Outwaters. I loved Grave Encounters, Deadstream, The Cleansing Hour, Hell House, Troll Hunter, and a ton of others.

Speaking niche horror genres. Are there any good anthology horror from the last few years?

The VHS series is pretty good on both fronts

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Primer is a great one as is the directors follow up Upstream Color.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

oceanside posted:

Can anyone recommend some movies with what you might call 'old timey dialogue'? Something like Deadwood (which I understand is a unique exaggeration of Old West ways of speaking) or period movies like Lincoln or The Hateful Eight. Ideally I'm looking for stuff that isn't a Western. Thank you!

The Lighthouse

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

As Above So Below, takes place in the catacombs beneath Paris, found footage small cast

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jippa posted:

I'd like to request a police procedural from the last 20-30 years.

Zodiac is really solid on this, so are :

LA Confidential
Women
Body Cam
Narc (RIP Ray Liotta)
Dragged Across Concrete

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Power of the Dog
In A Valley of Violence
The Stolen
They Harder They Fall
The Godless

We're awash in a bounty of Western greatness

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Aliens is a tough one to beat, Cameron does a lot of things right.

I'd say Sunshine, Cloverfield Paradox, Event Horizon all have the vibe but just not the exact thing. I'll have a look around and see what else

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Wizchine posted:

Hardware (1990) comes to mind.

Hardware rules. seconded.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Split Second, a Rutger Hauer vehicle, has an Alien-looking baddie but it's more obsessed with flooded London, big guns and the occult. What a weird but good film.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Okua posted:

Me and some friends are selecting movies to watch based on a loose theme, and this time it's angels. The criteria is that there must be an angel and he/she/it must be on screen. Already planning to watch The Sky Over Berlin and Constantine - any genre and time is welcome.

The Seventh Seal with a young Demi Moore works for this and is an underated flick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Action Jacktion posted:

I think you mean The Seventh Sign, but The Seventh Seal works if you consider Death to be an angel.

yes that is exactly the one i meant. thank you