Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Almost Blue posted:

I'm looking for movies that are similar to River's Edge and Out of the Blue. Low-key, kind of anti-coming-of-age movies in small towns that are just sort of depressing. Fire Walk With Me might be another example, but it's more operatic than those two.

The Last Picture Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

Specific request but what are some good films set in Berlin with musical or political themes. Thinking of stuff like Wings of Desire, Decoder, Christiane F., and Knife in the Head. Preferably from the 70s-80s but outside that era works too.

Would Cabaret be too obvious?

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m looking for movies in which people “gently caress” remotely using weird future technology. Think Demolition Man, Ready Player One (not explicit, but implied with that force feedback suit), Her/Blade Runner 2049, Tammy and the T-Rex.

E: how could I forget Lawnmower Man?

Strange Days does count but warning it's a rape scene

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

Examples of movies where there's one character talking about something really outlandish and it's mostly dismissed by the other characters only to be revealed in the 3rd act that they were right?

The Mist

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm in the mood for a movie with scenes of absolute bedlam, like monsters eating/killing/dragging away people en masse

If it doesn't specifically have to be monsters then High Rise is about civilisation collapsing and reverting to law of the jungle in a tower block

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

I want something with fog, sweaters, seaside, and maybe a fishing village. Ideally something spooky, but not necessarily. Perhaps a melancholic atmosphere, but not necessarily.

Already seen but would fit the bill: The Lighthouse, The Fog, The Wicker Man, and a bunch of BBC folk horror.

The Vanishing (2018)

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

ephori posted:

I'm looking for movies where dudes really beat the hell out of each other, but I would like 'real' movies, not straight action movies. Something where the fights are brutal but also....meaningful?

I watched A Prayer Before Dawn last night, so kind of along those lines. Eastern Promises is another one that comes to mind, and Valhalla Rising.

Only God Forgives, Brawl in Cell Block 99

Edit: Raging Bull

Purple Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 18, 2020

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

In a similar vein to Reds, Doctor Zhivago

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

The Ipcress File

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, I'd like to request recommendations for more stull like Southland Tales and Reconguista in G. Big sci-fi stories made with a very clear creative vision, full of detail, completely unafraid of confusing people, with a message or vibe the creator is desperately trying to get across to the audience. If it's widely hated or dismissed as being confusing or pretentious, that would be ideal.

Zardoz

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven, Dog Soldiers, The Mission turns pretty Seven Samurai esque during it's climax

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

Blue Velvet

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking for more movies like The Man From Earth, which are essentially fantasy/sci-fi/horror bottle movies where we don't actually "see" anything fantastical, we just have to take someone's word for it.

Doesn't quite fit your criteria but this was the original intent of Night of the Demon before the studio added scenes of the demon

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

magic cactus posted:

I just re-watched Clean, Shaven for the first time in a couple of years and forgot how great it was. One of the things I really like is how it really focuses on sound and sound design to bring you deeper into its world. Does anyone have any other recommendations for movies where sound/sound design is used like this? Off the top of my head I can name Berberian Sound Studio and Sound of Metal, I'm optimistic about Flux Gourmet as well but I don't think that's out yet. David Lynch's stuff counts too, of course. Any other suggestions?

Barton Fink

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

Tombstone in particular Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

I rewatched Aliens last night and I'm wondering what my other options are in the vein of "action horror sci fi". Off the top of my head I've seen Pitch Black, Pandorum, Screamers, Predator.

Missing the sci-fi part but Dog Soliders felt very much in the vein of Aliens

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

Gremlins is always a solid horror for kids

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

To my great shame I had never seen one of Jackie Chan's Hong Kong films prior to watching Police Story which I loved. What else from that era is worth checking out besides the obvious Police Story sequels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

If you don't mind something a little less grounded in reality there's Terry Gilliam's Brazil