Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The Driver and To Live and Die in L.A. I'd throw John Boorman's Point Blank in there too if you haven't watched it. And it's a lot goofier than Mann's output, but maybe Body Double too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I'm looking for movies that are similar to River's Edge and Out of the Blue. Low-key, kind of anti-coming-of-age movies in small towns that are just sort of depressing. Fire Walk With Me might be another example, but it's more operatic than those two.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Purple Monkey posted:

The Last Picture Show

FitFortDanga posted:

All About Lily Chou-Chou
Kes
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Rosetta
Mouchette
Il Posto

and I wanna say The Chocolate War, but I haven't seen it in a long, long time

Thanks for the recs! I've seen a couple of these before but they're due for re-watch, and the other ones sound just like what I'm looking for.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Does anybody know of movies where characters swap personalities (not bodies or minds) besides Persona, 3 Women, and Performance?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Lester Shy posted:

Looking for movies like Dial M for Murder and Rope. Murder mystery or detective stories with relatively low stakes, a small cast, few locations, probably based on a play. Not necessarily old movies, but I imagine they're more common in the 40s-70s.

And Then There Were None (1945)
Sorry, Wrong Number
Witness for the Prosection (maybe? it's been years since I've seen it, but I remember it having limited locations)
Sleuth
The Offence (less a murder mystery and more a "what led to this?")
Deathtrap

I've heard good things about The Last of Sheila too, but I've never seen it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

morestuff posted:

Gimme some samurai films. I've seen the Kurosawas and half-watched Harakiri one time.

I've got basically all streaming including Criterion Channel and I'd spend on a rental if it's worth it

Sword of Doom
Kill
Three Outlaw Samurai
(not exactly a samurai movie but rules) Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan

And I've only seen the first couple Lone Wolf and Cub and Zatoichi movies but I think they're all on Criterion.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.

The Changeling, Wolfen, Exorcist III, Inferno, Next of Kin, The Howling, Angel Heart, Lord of Illusions, Creepy (2016) Cure, Retribution (2006), When a Stranger Calls/Back, and for non-horror/supernatural Cutter’s Way, Bunny Lake Is Missing, and See No Evil (1971)

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 1, 2020

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

Comedy option: The Green Slime

I'd recommend Green Slime as a serious option; it's actually really good on a cinematic level. It's the same director as Battle Royale, and even though there's about 30 years between those movies, he has a real mastery over blocking and camera movement – I watched them fairly closely together earlier in the year and was shocked at just how well put together Green Slime is as a film, even if the script is a total comic book with gooey monsters.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Message from Space is one that I'd say is genuinely pretty good. The later Star Wars movies actually stole stuff from it, which is interesting to see.

On the goofier end there's Galaxina, the aforementioned StarCrash, The Shape of Things to Come, and Masters of the Universe.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

SliceOfPie posted:

Looking for a movie that has some big twists and leave you confused until the very end. Similar to shutter island.

space marine todd posted:

I'm actually looking for this as well, but preferably with less scares and graphic violence. Tension, twists, and thrills are great, but abject terror and viscera are not a fun vibe for me on edibles.

Films like Moon, Primer, Under The Skin, Funny Games, and Coherence all hit this for me and I'd love to watch more like these.

Some good ones that hasn't been brought up are the Third Murder, Cure, Sole Survivor, Cutter’s Way, Wolfen, and Star Time. If you like older movies too, some of Val Lewton's work would be good to see as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The films that inspired those like Dario Argento's Suspirira or Inferno. Hardware, THX-1138, Phantasm, Star Time, and Kwaidan.