Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What are the best World War 2 movies? They can be pro or anti war, doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

Band of Brothers is a miniseries but its the GOAT

Literally the two conditions I laid out were "World War 2" and "movie"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

morestuff posted:

There's a zillion different takes on WWII in film, so you might want to be a little more specific on what you're looking for.

I specifically left it open in order to get as wide a variety of responses as possible. Even movies about life on the home front during the war, or civilian life in nazi Germany count.

But only movies. No TV shows.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coaaab posted:

gripweed already had plenty to say about army of shadows

Oh yeah, that movie was a stone cold bummer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Roumba posted:

A Bridge Too Far (1977) is a solid big-budget big-scale WWII film. It's impressive just how packed full of stars it is. Almost every role of any size will have someone you'll recognize. It's kind of the The Longest Day or Black Hawk Down of its era in that sense.
The Bridge at Remagen (1969) is on a smaller scale, but the memorable thing about this one for me is it really feels like they demolished actual towns with tanks and explosions to make this flick. That, or the set design guys deserve every award for making it seem like they did. Bricks, dust and debris flying everywhere. Well done.

Filmmakers really like bridges, don't they?

A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day are two of my favorite movies. They're like a totally different genre, military procedurals. The planning and execution of a military operation with little or no extraneous character or plot or whatnot. I really wish there were more movies like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thanks for the recommendations, i was putting together a list of movies to look for at Half Price Book's Black Friday sale but it turns out they aren't doing on this year so I guess I'll just loving kill myself instead.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for movies where there’s a live performance of some kind going catastrophically wrong and everyone behind the scenes is scrambling to fix it? I’m thinking screwball comedies like

Radioland Murders
Noises Off!
The episode of Frasier with the radio play

Anyone got anything like this?

Welcome Back Mr. McDonald is literally the exact movie you want.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

magic cactus posted:

Howdy me again.

I recently watched the Edward Norton/Ben Stiller rom-com "Keeping the Faith" on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. I really enjoyed how it portrayed religion as like... important but another part of life, and how it was about adults trying to handle the complications between higher callings and romance in a pretty nuanced and believable way up until the predictable rom-com mandated ending. Are there any other movies out there that portray kind of the push-pull between being a human being and being religious? I can only think of "First Reformed" "Diary of A Country Priest" and maaybe "Winter Light" with "Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring" kind of skirting the line. Doesn't need to be a rom-com.

Thanks!

A Serious Man might not be entirely what you're after, it's about a man who thought he had done everything right and lived a good and virtuous life facing a serious of personal crises and humiliations and desperately trying to find guidance and solace in his faith.

That makes it sound like a downer but it's very funny.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I loved Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, but every Pedro Almodovar movie Ive seen since has underwhelmed me. Because they aren't farces! WotVoaNB gets so much mileage out of a simple bowl of drugged gazpacho, it's a classic farce, where all the pieces are set up, an agent of chaos is introduced, and everything gets merrily cocked up in an increasingly absurd fashion. That's what I want.

Tell, me what are the best farces?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for recs for obscure movies/series that depict characters going through war and how it changes them. I realize this is broad and pretty true of any war movie but I'm looking more specifically for stuff that focuses on characters changing as they fight.

Some examples of what ive seen that fit the bill: Come and See (1985), Generation Kill, Full Metal Jacket, Attack on Titan, Restrepo, BoB/The Pacific

So its pretty broad, the only thing I ask is the the movie/series explore how war affects the characters as they are fighting. I'm less interested in movies like Brothers or the Deer Hunter which are about the soldiers dealing with PTSD after they come home, more about how they deal with it as they fight

Fictional wars or scifi/fantasy wars are fine too

Mobile Suit Gundam is basically entirely about that. Shy nerdy Amuro Ray is the only one who can pilot the Gundam and protect the ship, and he is at times cocky about being the only one who can do it, resentful about having to do it, almost catatonic from the stress and trauma, and always scared and always tired. But over time he grows, he learns to deal with the burdens that have been forced on him, to rely on his crewmates, and to form emotional connections with other people, something he couldn't do before.

Pretty much every Gundam series deals with that in some way. Once you finish Mobile Suit Gundam the sequel series Zeta Gundam and Victory Gundam are also significantly about characters changing as they fight. The alternate universe series Iron-Blooded Orphans is another good example, and Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise although it takes awhile to get there.

If you don't want to jump into a long old anime like the original Gundam there's also Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky. It's just a movie and is up on Youtube in English. It's about two dudes essentially willingly becoming less human to keep fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm9o8fSIm6E

But really, the original Mobile Suit Gundam is the one that you would want the most for the purposes you outlined

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

magic cactus posted:

Are there any "dreamlike" or "hallucinatory" action movies out there? Other than Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising I can't think of too many.

Have you looked into Seijun Suzuki? He was a work-for hire director of Yakuza films, but eventually he got balcklisted by the studio because his movies got too weird. Like Tokyo Drifter, where the entire finale action set piece took place on this set

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for the rec, I dig mechs so Im going to check this out! The original MSG has a full series and an abridged 3 movie version: would you reccomend watching the full series or should I just watch the 3 movies?

Since you are specifically after the portrayal of characters in war, definitely the series. The movies are fine if you just want the story, but the series goes way more in depth with the characters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tuyop posted:

Looking for more genuinely hilarious and weird low budget movies, sci fi is a plus. I loved The American Astronaut and Dark Star for example.

Wild Zero
Zebraman
Technically the first season of Lexx is four movies that were edited into episodes for TV broadcast, so the first season of Lexx

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

busalover posted:

I need some dumb jingoist movies for the upcoming war. Think Rambo 2 or 3, but made in the last ten years. Is The Expendables any good? Idk maybe something with younger actors would be cool.

Which side are you rooting for, Ukraine or Russia?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What are some good pro-Russia movies?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

Youll have to be more specific since Russia a hundred years ago is different than Russia today and that keeps going back into history forever

pro-tsarist Russia, pro-Soviet Russia, pro-modern neoliberal Russia, any of it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Grave Encounters
As Above, So Below
Stalker, sort of.
Cube, sort of

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

All of that's to say I'm looking for two suggestions. Movies that are similarly dreamlike yet startlingly realistic

Southland Tales!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Speaking of which, I'd like to request recommendations for more stull like Southland Tales and Reconguista in G. Big sci-fi stories made with a very clear creative vision, full of detail, completely unafraid of confusing people, with a message or vibe the creator is desperately trying to get across to the audience. If it's widely hated or dismissed as being confusing or pretentious, that would be ideal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm looking for movies like Assault on Precinct 13, Straw Dogs, Night of the Living Dead or even Green Room. Basically, people trapped and either defending themselves (or trying to escape) against intruders. I watched a movie called Siege (1981) on Shudder the other night that got me thinking about it and need to scratch that itch.

Searching for movies like those either returns lists of random 70s movies or zombie movies without the being trapped part of the equation.

Zulu might work

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zoracle Zed posted:

what movies do 'extremely competent protagonist in over their head' as well as no country for old men?

Primer
Shin Godzilla
A Serious Man
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Money Plane

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What are some good cult movies? I mean movies featuring cults, not movies with cult followings. Although movies about cults that also have cult followings are fine.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I should’ve been more specific, I mean proper cults. Robes, sacrifices, a nude lady tied to an altar, that whole vibe. They don’t have to be satanic, but that kind of old school satansploitation thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yes exactly. I want movies that look like that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tea Bone posted:

The Conspiracy maybe? Ticks a few of those boxes.

I'm looking for more films like Calibre which aren't horror but still manage to elicit the same level of anxiety and tension.

I got one, it's nothing like Calibre but after I showed it to a friend he literally said "That wasn't a horror movie but it felt like a horror movie and now I'm going to be jumpy all night"

The fake documentary Alternative 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iXDB5kp9t8

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ibexaz posted:

I watched The Item and it was the worst rear end piece of rear end movie I've ever seen and I need other movies that are clearly trying to ape Tarantino's style of cool characters with witty dialogue, bonus points if the writer/director in the leading role

8 Heads in a Duffel Bag
Employee of the Month (the Matt Dillon not the Dane Cook one)

There's also one I can't remember the title of, that's trying to be Quentin Tarantino meets Fargo. About an insurance agent who tries to steal a violin, that is just absolute dogshit.

Edit: Thin Ice

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 18, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BioTech posted:

Lowlife
First Love

I quite enjoyed both.

I hadn't thought of it before, but yeah First Love does have a bit of an early Tarantino vibe. But, like, better. I'm not sure if it fits the criteria exactly because its clearly not intentionally trying to ape Tarantino. It is extremely Miike.

Either way, more people need to watch First love, its fantastic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That old story about James Cameron writing Alien on a whiteboard and then adding a dollar sign, but instead he writes seven on the board and then adds an l

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking for more movies like The Man From Earth, which are essentially fantasy/sci-fi/horror bottle movies where we don't actually "see" anything fantastical, we just have to take someone's word for it.

It's been a while since I watched it but I think The Brother from Another Planet qualifies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A discussion about Singular Point in the Kaiju thread has me craving movies that demand you pay attention and reward you for it. Movies where the creator is trying to get something very complex across but if you follow along you'll go "Holy poo poo!" when something happens.

The only examples that I can come up with are Godzilla: Singular Point, the part in Primer where they explain what the box does, maybe the novel Blindsight and the Chinese Box moment.

They don't have to be sci-fi, Those are just the ones that spring to mind at the moment.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lampsacus posted:

Well I would say Tenet but you've probably already seen it and also everybody (rightly) hates it as bro-core thinks it's smart but ain't. So I'm going to go with uhh Two Minutes into the Infinite.

I have not seen it because of, yeah all the jokes about how dumb it actually was. Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes sounds interesting

BioTech posted:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy does not your hold hand and expects you to pick up on a lot of subtle moments.

I'll check that one out, thanks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Have you seen every episode of Columbo?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Purge, Green Room, 10 Cloverfield Lane is one person short of your minimum and Zulu is well above your maximum but both of them have that kinda vibe. Reservoir Dogs maybe?

Possibly Hellevator? I can't remember if I saw it or not so I don't remember if it fits but the description sounds right

edit: oh poo poo, 2LDK! It's only two people, but they spend the entire time in a single apartment getting increasingly pissed at each other and it's so loving good.

edit: The various adaptations, remakes, and ripoffs of Haunting of Hill House. And Ghost Ship.

edit: Virus, Creature, Critters 3

edit: Clue

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 24, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sunshine!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

magic cactus posted:

Anyone have any recs similar to vanishing point ('71 version?) Just watched it and it shot right up in the rankings in my favorites list. I've heard two lane blacktop is supposed to be similar, oddly enough what springs to mind is the shooting with Nicholson and McCabe and Mrs. Miller and maybe unforgiven as more meditative takes on genre fare.

I literally just listened to a podcast about The Shooting and they kept comparing it to Vanishing Point and Two Lane Blacktop.

Also Ride the Whirlwind is worth mentioning, which was filmed back to back with The Shooting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

magic cactus posted:

Watched The Mask Of Zorro on a whim last night and ended up enjoying it. Looking for similar sorts of low-stakes swashbuckling\romance\adventure movies, closest I can think of would be the first two Pirates of The Caribbean films.

Lupin the Third the First.

And if you like that, all Lupin the Third content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Timby posted:

My Neighbor Totoro. Paddington. Amélie. School of Rock.

Edit: Sing Street. (Everyone should watch Sing Street.)

Is My Neighbor Totoro anti-colonialist?