Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy!

I'm looking for more mellow, hypnotic films. Examples of films that I've seen that fit that profile: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Last Year at Marienbad, Kurosawa's Dreams, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, Has's The Saragossa Manuscript, and Felini's 8&1/2. I guess I'll elaborate by stating what I'm not looking for: I love David Lynch, Nicholas Windig Refin, and Panos Cosmatos for their hypnotic cinematography, but I'd like something like that where the content isn't so dark. I guess in a nutshell: recommend me a movie that feels like a dream, but not a nightmare.

Thank you very much!

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

oneforthevine posted:

Have you seen any Rivette? (You may have, if you’re familiar enough with Marienbad to cite it here.) His stuff isn’t exactly “out there” content-wise, but it’s definitely slow-moving and hypnotic in its own way. If you can find a copy of Cohen’s Blu-Ray of La Belle Noiseuse that might be a good starting point.

EDIT: The Story of Marie and Julien might also be a good one in terms of mood. It’s a little more explicitly dreamlike.

I'm not familiar with Rivette at all actually. Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, I'll look into it post haste.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

El Graplurado posted:

Watch more of Apichatpong Weerasethakul if you can
Most things by Raul Ruiz (Manoel on the Island of Marvels, On Top of the Whale, Three Crowns of the Sailor, City of Pirates, etc.)
Limite
Jean Cocteau movies
Jean Rollin's
The short movies of Nobuhiko Obayashi
Sergei Parajanov (Colour of Pomegranates, Ashik Kerib, Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors)
Bi Gan (Kaili Blues, Long Days Journey into Night)
Czech/Slovak stuff like Valerie and her Week of Wonders, Morgiana, Fruit of Paradise, Birds Orphans Fools, Szinbad
Shuji Terayama (Pastoral: to Die in the Country, Grass Labyrinth, Farewell to the Ark, etc.)
Naomi Kawase (Suzaku, Shara)
Marguerite Duras (India Song, Agatha and the Limitless Readings, L’Homme Atlantique)
Aleksandr Sokurov's
A bunch of surrealist silent French movies (The Seashell and the Clergyman, Menilmontant, Autumn Mists, Entr’acte, etc.)
Man Follows Birds
Cafe Noir
A Midsummer's Fantasia
Romance Joe
Serail
Cuadecuc, Vampir
a bunch

I'm familiar with some of these, mainly Parajanov and Valerie and her week of wonders and the "classic" surrealists. Gonna take a look at some of the others. I've heard good things about Bi Gan, so I think I'll track down Kaili Blues. Thanks for the recommendations!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

FitFortDanga posted:

So many come to mind. In addition to El Grap's recommendations, I would add:

the films of Tsai Ming-liang
the films of Bela Tarr (a bit dark, maybe, but try Werckmeister Harmonies)
the films of Andrei Tarkovsky
The Long Day Closes
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Conformist
The Tree of Life
(among other Malick)
Innocence (2004, Lucile Hadzihalilovic)
The Scent of Green Papaya and The Vertical Ray of the Sun
Waiting for Happiness

I'm familiar with Tarr and Tarkovsky, as well as Malick and Aguirre, but these others seem very interesting indeed. Thanks!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Howdy!

For some reason, I've taken to unwinding by re-watching Bi Gan's Long Day's Journey Into Night pretty much every night before I fall asleep. I really like the sort of metaphysical mystery/noir tone that reminds me a little bit of the works of David Lynch/the writings of Paul Auster/Borges, but I also really like how... hazy it feels? It kind of just drifts around and not a lot happens. I guess I'm looking for recommendations like that. Kind of slow drifting movies where the plot unfolds pretty slowly, if there's even a plot at all. Bonus if it's got some kind of broad metaphysical theme, but I don't think there's quite that many of those kinds of films out there.

Stuff I've seen that kind of scratches that itch:

Kaili Blues (same director. I also watched his short film the Poet and The Singer, but it didn't grab me as much. Loved Kaili Blues though)

Uncle Bonamee Who Can Recall Past Lives

Still Walking

Paris Texas

Stalker

Calendar (Atom Egoyan. I watched most of his other films and while good, this one I really enjoyed.)

I have Criterion, Netflix, and HBOMax, so if your recs could be on one of those three streaming services that would be awesome.

Thanks for any recs you guys can scrounge up for me!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Thank you very much! I'll look into these post-haste.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Howdy!

I posted a little while ago about slow hypnotic films and got a bunch of recommendations. I just want to say thanks and mention a few that stood out to me from what I've seen so far.

Antonioni:

I watched L'aventurra. I didn't like it, but I couldn't tell you why. All the pieces were there, but I didn't really connect with the story of a bunch of alienated socialites searching for meaning. But I have kind of a "two strikes" rule with new directors. I watch two of their movies, just because I like to give myself a chance. So I ended up watching Red Desert.

That was a fantastic film. So I'm 50/50 on Antonioni. I might give the passenger a try later.

DeimosRising posted:

Bela Tarr, Zulawski (maybe a little stressful/horny for what you’re looking for), Kieslowski

I'd forgotten to mention Zulawski and Kieslowski in my post. I've seen On The Silver Globe and count it as one of my favorite films of all time, but as you point out, his stuff is a little stressful/horny for what I'm looking for. As far as Kieslowski goes, I watched Blind Chance a while back on a whim and really enjoyed it. I'm gonna watch the Three Colors trilogy as soon as I'm done with my current film, Satantango. I'm actually really enjoying this one despite it's 7-hour runtime (I'm watching it in hour-two hour chunks, or an act-break, whatever comes first.) It's bleak but in a way I find strangely... comforting. Reminds me a lot of Stalker.

Coaaab posted:

Since you like Uncle Boonmee, give Apichatpong Weerasethakul's other films a try, they all feel similarly like that

Kelly Reichardt's Old Joy

I don't think she's on any of the streaming services you listed, but Angela Schanelec would be a director to keep in mind
Old Joy is on my list. I wanna say I watched Cemetery of Splendour and didn't enjoy it much, but it's been so long I'll give it a re-watch. Schanelec is not on Criterion but I'll keep her name in mind.

regulargonzalez posted:

Flowers of Shanghai immediately came to mind. Hardly any plot, gorgeously lit and filmed, I watched it when on painkillers recovering from surgery and it is the perfect narcotic haze movie.

This is on the list too! Thanks again for all the recs!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Samuel Clemens posted:

Interesting that you enjoyed Red Desert but not L'avventura since those are arguably his closest films in terms of themes and style. What made you love the former?

Honestly I just loved the cinematography in Red Desert. There were some beautiful shots in that movie.

Got one hour left in Satantango. I'm thinking either Three Colors or A Brighter Summer's Day next.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Are there any other movies like Lost In Translation or Roman Holiday ( I guess Blue Valentine would also count, alongside 500 days of summer,) where the protagonist has a chance encounter with a person that clearly changes them in someway, but where they don't end up together? Doesn't have to necessarily be a rom-com.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

Cold War

Buffalo 66 (depending on how you interpret the ending)

Betty Blue (again open to intepretation but I think it'd scratch that itch)

In The Land of Blood and Honey

I've found every other movie on your list except (go figure) Cold War. Is there a year attached? I'm mostly getting hits for documentaries

regulargonzalez posted:

Before Sunrise if taken as a standalone

Certified Copy

Basically every Wong Kar Wei movie -- that kind of bittersweet, star crossed lovers thing is his milieu. Start with In the Mood for Love

I totally forgot about Wong Kar Wei. I've seen pretty much all his stuff. Before Sunrise is good and I meant to add it to my examples but forgot I guess. I'll check out certified copy.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Allyn posted:

This is basically Eric Rohmer's entire career. My Night at Maud's, Chloe in the Afternoon, A Tale of Springtime. The first part of his anthology film Rendezvous in Paris might be my single favourite example of him exploring this trope. I'd also throw in his The Winter's Tale, as the main beat of the film is about the fallout from losing contact with the person who changed you. Even though it ultimately ends up deviating from what you want. My favourite Rohmer.

There are also a good half dozen (or more) beyond that where they do end up together. Basically just watch anything he made!

2018, Pawel Pawlikowski film.

E: Oh, I almost forgot Three Colours: Red! Which is absolutely spectacular, and absolutely in the romance-meets-non-romance niche. I think his Dekalog VI would too. A Short Film About Love is an expanded version of that, and would also be worth watching, but has a different ending, which is probably less of what you want

I somehow missed Rohmer when I was in my French New Wave phase. I'll definitely look into his stuff, thanks a bunch! I love Kieślowski but somehow haven't gotten around to watching the colors trilogy. I'll try out Red, might also do A Short Film About Love.

Edit: Watched both The Green Ray and My Night With Maude. Excellent and scratched that itch I was looking for. I'm gonna just work through the filmography I think. Thanks for a great recommendation!

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 27, 2022

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Howdy me again.

I recently watched the Edward Norton/Ben Stiller rom-com "Keeping the Faith" on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. I really enjoyed how it portrayed religion as like... important but another part of life, and how it was about adults trying to handle the complications between higher callings and romance in a pretty nuanced and believable way up until the predictable rom-com mandated ending. Are there any other movies out there that portray kind of the push-pull between being a human being and being religious? I can only think of "First Reformed" "Diary of A Country Priest" and maaybe "Winter Light" with "Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring" kind of skirting the line. Doesn't need to be a rom-com.

Thanks!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Gripweed posted:

A Serious Man might not be entirely what you're after, it's about a man who thought he had done everything right and lived a good and virtuous life facing a serious of personal crises and humiliations and desperately trying to find guidance and solace in his faith.

That makes it sound like a downer but it's very funny.

Shoot I've already seen that. It was great though. Thanks for the rec anyway!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

e: double post somehow

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

Not a movie but I think the pastor in The Leftovers is a character who deals with this issue very well and the writing is thoughtful and considerate.

E: Matthew McConaughey in Contact, although he's a secondary character despite being a potential love interest for Jodie Foster

Fuckin' loved The Leftovers, especially Matt/The Priest's character. I saw Contact and really liked it but it was so long ago I'd forgotten McConaughey was even in it.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Recently watched a movie called Kill Chain with Nic Cage and while it was a C-tier potboiler at best, there was something decidedly dreamlike or psychedelic about it. The minimal dialogue seemed really cryptic, almost like a Beckett play with guns, and the direction was just weird, with a lot of bizarre camera angle choices. This is probably down to the amateurish nature of the production, but I really liked it anyway.

Are there any "dreamlike" or "hallucinatory" action movies out there? Other than Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising I can't think of too many.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

tuyop posted:

Prisoners of the Ghostland was really something. Maybe psychedelic? I don’t know if I have the adjectives.

I'll check it out, thanks!

morestuff posted:

You might like You Were Never Really Here or large parts of Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

Both of those have been on my to-watch list for a while so looks like I'm out of excuses. Thanks for the recs!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

Annihilation, The Thin Red Line, probably not quite action movies as such.

Seen both of these thanks for the rec though!

morestuff posted:

Oh, and speaking of Nic Cage, you might like Mandy. Not much of an action movie for a very, very long stretch but it gets there eventually, sort of

Mandy is fantastic, but I've already seen it.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Tokyo Drifter

I love that movie. It's so weird. Good rec though, thanks!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

tuyop posted:

Looking for more genuinely hilarious and weird low budget movies, sci fi is a plus. I loved The American Astronaut and Dark Star for example.

this is more on the sci-fi end and less "hilarious" but God Told Me To is a very strange trip. Starts out as kind of police procedural and gets real weird real fast.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

By sheer coincidence, I watched Last Year At Marienbad last night and loved it (not surprising if you've kept up with my previous posts in the thread.) However there was one element that made it a unique watch for me. I loved the way things would "echo" in the movie, for instance the way the opening narration repeats multiple times, or the movement in a scene would refer to previous dialogue. It felt almost like the cinematic equivalent of dub music or feedback or something. Taking a familiar element and twisting it into a new configuration. I'm not entirely sure if that articulates what I'm after, but is there anything like that out there at all? I almost feel like I'm asking more for video art recommendations versus pure cinema, but I've been kind of obsessed with this idea and I'm curious if it's been explored at all.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

I think I've recommended it to you before and it doesn't *quite* fit, but I still think you'd really like Certified Copy if you haven't seen it yet

Another thing that doesn't exactly fit but kind of does, Dark Side of the Rainbow. You can probably find ready-made versions at the places one finds things.

Another partial fit, Inland Empire

I've seen Inland Empire but the other two are new to me. I'll check them out, thanks!

E: Just to clarify but you're talking about the Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz synch right? I've never actually seen it. I'll give it a go.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 8, 2022

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

I think Lost Highway fits this better than Inland Empire. The entire movie is often described as a "Mobius strip", and multiple watches really reveal lots of moments like the stuff youre searching for

Yeah, Lynch was my first thought. Watching Marienbad, it's very clear it must have had a pretty big impact on his directorial style. I've seen all his stuff multiple times, but maybe approaching Lost Highway with Marienbad in mind will give me a new perspective on it. Thanks!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

I feel like a lot of Buñuel films are adjacent as well. The Exterminating Angel, That Obscure Object of Desire.

Maybe Bergman's Persona

I've seen Bergman. Buñuel is someone I keep hearing about but oddly never get around to watching, I should probably fix that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

I think I've recommended it to you before and it doesn't *quite* fit, but I still think you'd really like Certified Copy if you haven't seen it yet

I just finished watching this. What a deeply strange film. So many quiet rug-pulls. I can see the Marienbad connection for sure. Thanks. This was the most interesting movie I've seen in a good while.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

Ha, not sure if you liked it or not but glad it was at least engaging.

Oh no I really liked it! It's just the first time I've really seen... cinematography and editing as tools for a mind gently caress in and of itself, rather than in service of (say) a dreamlike plot or atmosphere. It felt like it was playing with my perception on multiple levels. What a strange and fascinating film. Thanks very much for the recommendation.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

I just re-watched Clean, Shaven for the first time in a couple of years and forgot how great it was. One of the things I really like is how it really focuses on sound and sound design to bring you deeper into its world. Does anyone have any other recommendations for movies where sound/sound design is used like this? Off the top of my head I can name Berberian Sound Studio and Sound of Metal, I'm optimistic about Flux Gourmet as well but I don't think that's out yet. David Lynch's stuff counts too, of course. Any other suggestions?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Whiplash
The Conversation
Blow Out

I've seen Whiplash and The Conversation but Blow Out is new to me. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

it's a nice double feature with Blow Up, the movie that it's based on. But Blow Up is about photography, so not as much focus on sound design.

Yeah I've seen (and loved) Blow Up, but Blow Up with sound seems like a great idea.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

So I just discovered the films of Joel Potrykus (Alchemist Cookbook, Ape, Buzzard etc) and I really like this sort of "lo-fi paul schrader but without the theology" vibe a lot of his movies have. Just no/low budget movies about damaged loners that occasionally dip into horror territory. I'm wondering if there are any other directors or movies like that. I've seen Gummo, and that would maybe the closest point of comparison, or maybe like a grimier take on Linklater's stuff. Whatever it is, it would be cool if I could get more of that.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

Broadcast Signal Intrusion
The Golden Glove (maybe?)
Angst
The House That Jack Built
I Stand Alone
LFO
Red Krokodil (full on horror)

I've heard of both The House That Jack Built and the Golden Glove, but haven't seen either of them. Rest of this list looks cool, thanks!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

Some Southern Waters i think is a good fit for what youre looking for too!
Just chiming in to say that I watched both Some Southern Waters and Broadcast Signal Intrusion. SSS didn't really grab me much, but Broadcast Signal Intrusion was fantastic, so thanks again for the recommendation!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

I've got kind of a weird request. Anyone know any movies that are experimental for their genre? I recently watched the Alien Workshop skateboarding video Memory Screen and I was struck by how... different stuff like the editing in it was as compared to the usual skate video style. It felt more like a weird video art piece that happened to feature skateboarding. It would be cool if there were more weird skate videos out there, but I'm not holding my breath.

Another example I can think of would be Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, which is pretty out there for a straight action movie. Conquest would be another for swords and sorcery genre. Maaybe 500 days of summer for the rom-com (but I kind of want to give this spot to lost in translation.)

Tl;dr: Looking for movies that experiment within the confines of their genre.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

VROOM VROOM posted:

Putting together my options for the October challenge, what are the must-watches on Shudder that I might not have seen yet? Funny, weird, tense, ~elevated~, if it's good I'll probably like it.

Obvious answers I've already seen: Saloum, Triangle, The House of the Devil, Housebound, Night of the Demons, The Endless

Stuff I'm looking at:
Flux Gourmet
Mad God
Night of the Living Dead
Perfect Blue
Psycho Goreman
Glorious
Moloch
Broadcast Signal Intrusion
A Lonely Place to Die
Carrie
The Suspicious Death of a Minor (and/or other giallos)
Mad God
Tetsu the Iron Man
The Babadook
I Am a Ghost
Prom Night
House
A Field in England
Basket Case
The Hills Have Eyes

Gonna cast my vote for Perfect Blue (more psychological horror), Broadcast Signal Intrusion (ditto), Mad God (it really is a marvel), Strange Color of Your Bodies Tears(this one is a trip), and a field in England (very slow burn but I loved it.)

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Anyone have an recommendations for documentaries similar to Into Great Silence? Watched that one recently and I really like its minimal dialogue and focus on letting the sounds and pace of life at the monastery envelop the viewer, without really going into "talking head" type stuff. Subject matter can be secular or religious. Thanks for any recommendations!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are some decent "spooky medieval action fantasy" movies? Think like 13th warrior, the bit in Greta and Hansel where the huntsman is briefly present, that recent Viking movie based on the old tale that also influenced Hamlet, etc.

I guess another way to put it would be stuff like the spookier parts of LotR?

I'll take any decent B movie recommendations, I figure I've already seen anything that would be called truly excellent, like The Green Knight.

might be more "spooky medieval fantasy" than action and it's a short film, but the black angel from 1980, whole thing is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L8pHKP-vv4

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Anyone got any suggestions for "pseudo-intellectuals talking non-stop" movies ala Whit Stillman and Noah Baumbach? Just re-watched kicking and screaming and that whole "people talking abstractly about nothing" conceit was really entertaining. I've seen most of Linklaters stuff too. Just to clarify, I like these movies, just the content and way the dialogue is written is so unlike real life I find it amusing. Maybe it's a 90s thing?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

morestuff posted:

My Dinner With Andre is what you meant

Shoot I've already seen that one. Excellent movie though.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

Annie Hall. Manhattan. Woody Allen in general, but especially his 70s and 80s dramas / dramedys.

I've seen Manhattan and Annie Hall, don't know why I didn't think of them as related to that style of film but they are pretty similar.

ynohtna posted:

The Man from Earth from 2007 might scratch that itch.

I've seen it but unsurprisingly it's one of my favorites. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Magnetic North posted:

I thought you were talking about the Will Ferrell movie :sweatdrop:

I haven't watched it in 20 years, but 1995's Smoke is kind of like that in parts. It's a bit more of a melodrama. Apparently it's the same guy who did The Center of the World, which I never saw.

Looking it up apparently Paul Auster wrote the script. I had no idea he'd written stuff beyond novels. I'll check it out thanks for the suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

magic cactus posted:

Looking it up apparently Paul Auster wrote the script. I had no idea he'd written stuff beyond novels. I'll check it out thanks for the suggestion!

Just wanna say thanks for the recommend. It wasn't a home-run, (like you said a bit mellow dramatic) but a solid watch all the same.

Whoops drunkposting but yeah, solid rec.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 4, 2023