Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shard posted:

I am in the mood for new action movies specifically like fighting action movies. I feel like it's been a while since we had an action star like JCVD or Bruce Lee or Jason Statham.

What are the best fighting action movies of 2023?

Keanu is a true action star, so I'll go with John Wick 4 for 2023. But feel free to come to the action thread where there's tons of recommendations and one true star of the last decade and a half (Scott Adkins of avengement , undisputed 2/3, accident man, debt collector, and ninja shadow of a tear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I've watched two consecutive movies featuring poets and men with stutters, without knowing that these would be in the movies

Can anyone recommend more? I kind of want to keep this inadvertent theme going (mishima, mirror are the two I watched). Preferably non English language

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Grey Elephants posted:

I watched Aniara recently and haven't stopped thinking about it. Any other movies where the horror/tension comes from the sheer vastness and isolation of time and space?

High Life, by Claire Denis with Pattinson and Binoche.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

distortion park posted:

Suggestions for film to watch with moderately conservative family members? Watched Chunking Express the other day with one, they enjoyed it although mainly because they used to live in HK I think. Another likes Downton but not the crown (too mean about the royal family). Current frontrunner is Grosse Pointe Blank

e: they also like scandi crime dramas and Grisham novels

Hell or High Water. It's written by the guy who made Yellowstone, I sold it to my dad that way.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gripweed posted:

Vast of Night! Absolutely loving exceptional little movie that nobody talks about.

It's fantastic!

Other suggestions: Coherence, Prospect

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about people facing the end of their lives, either by their own hand or unwillingly.

Bieutiful, Lucky, Dallas Buyers Club, Ikiru, Leaving Las Vegas, stuff like that

Crank 1&2

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
You could probably just pick from any Best Actress list of any year - are you interested in having the roles present the women in any specific way?

There's a million classic roles with Katherine Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck, Ingrid Bergman, Deborah Kerr, Audrey Hepburn etc.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Stars just pick the top film for the top 25 on this list and you're going to get a heck of a sampling.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 17, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Chamale posted:

It's not about the performance itself, more the overall quality of the movie. And I'd rather not sort through 100 years of Best Actress winners.

Good suggestions, thanks!

Gotcha

Double Indemnity
Roman Holiday
In the Mood for Love
Black Narcissus
The Lion in Winter
Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (the most interesting movie on this list)
Three Colors: Blue
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (my favorite female performance)
Barbarella (an all time great comic book adaptation)

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 17, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gripweed posted:

Drop whatever you're doing and watch Versus immediately

Man I really need to see that still.

Scifi action:
Fury Road
Upgrade
Edge of Tomorrow

Balls out setting action that are the closest I can think to Frogtown where it just never stops escalating;
Tokyo Tribe
Yakuza Apocalypse
Nemesis (Pyun)

Weird mental state protagonist action
Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning
Hardcore Henry

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Timby posted:

Super-cheesy, but Backdraft.

That's my first choice.

What about something like Last of the Mohicans? There's a ton of individual bravery and repeared rescues in that albeit in a war setting. And the penultimate scene fits exactly what you're describing.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 29, 2024