Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

married but discreet posted:

How have I never looked at this thread before? I haven't seen a really good, capital M Movie in a while, I'm talking artistically valuable and edifying and not just good in the popcorn type of way. Looking at my criticker account (I will never switch to Letterboxd!) here's the last few movies of the type I'm talking about :

In The Mood For Love
Portrait Of A Lady On Fire
Harakiri
A Hidden Life
Parasite
First Reformed
Eyes Wide Shut

Probably very vague but just hit me with something, ideally not by the same director.

Little Women

The movies everyone else has said as well, but I slept on Little Women for too long despite everyone saying how great it is and drat they were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

It’s an entire block in Bed Stuy but Do the Right Thing is absolutely a collection of interconnecting stories in one setting. Also has hall of fame production design.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Chronicle of a Summer is one of the most influential docs ever and might help. It’s not media bias but an exploration of how documentary filmmaking can capture truth (if possible), among other things. It’s where the term Cinema Verite came from and just a great movie.

It’s on Criterion, here is a link to a short vid talking about it:

https://youtu.be/S0dOLHemSgs

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Doublepost, but catching Computer Chess tonight and I'm pumped.

Another request: I caught The Palindromists the other night, just a super low-key nerdy documentary about some dorky weirdos having fun doing a world-championship palindrome contest. Nothing special, but it was super charming and hit my brain just right since I'm in a chill mode. But I realized it was a prime example of a category of documentaries I love—just low-stakes fun documentaries focused on a weird/interesting subculture that don't get all that emotional. I'd put stuff like King of Kong, Pumping Iron, and So Wrong They're Right in there, too.

So, what are some other fun, charming documentaries about weirdo subcultures?

Click here to watch an Errol Morris 22 minute short on an electric football basement league

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Once again I feel a hankering for a historical war movie, ideally one focusing on a cool general or two. Got any?

Not a traditional war movie, but Battle of Algiers has one of the best portrayals of an enemy general you can find.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

morestuff posted:

Looking for movies that involve groups of people investigating some kind of mystery, but with each individual attacking it from different angles or with their own storylines. Thinking stuff like Zodiac (cops/journalists/Graysmith) or Spotlight (where each journalist's plot is relatively self-contained)

Memories of Murder fits this.

feedback loop posted:

Looking to watch a few movies with really notable representations of the American west coast in the mid-60s to early-70s, highly stylized or otherwise. Think The Long Goodbye and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, where the setting is front and center, for example. Documentary recommendations welcome as well. I'm especially interested in seeing something set in the Pacific Northwest.

To Live and Die in LA is a great look at 80s Los Angeles. Boyz in the Hood is like 90 or 91 but would fit as well. Menace II Society or South Central if you want more early 90s feel.

Allyn posted:

Inherent Vice is this to a T. Makes me think of Almost Famous, too. I'd also suggest Monterey Pop, as a very West Coast answer to Woodstock -- lots of that countercultural psychedelia of the era.

Monterey Pop Festival was two years before Woodstock.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 19, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

A couple more:

Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles is a masterpiece and topped the most recent Sight and Sound poll.

Support the Girls is drat near perfect in every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Onomarchus posted:

Last Year at Marienbad is a harder sell but could work if you prep people for a play-as-you-go-along movie interpretation game. Unlike some Lynch or Bunuel weird movies, it has not just one but more than one workable coherent interpretation, so you can have them fight like pokemon. Plus a certain plot element should be cocaine for math nerds and has inspired a 1962 computer game.

You then have to watch it every year again so you can get together and go “remember last year, when we watched last year at mariendbad”