Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

If Guy Ritchie had just kept making the same movie over and over for his entire career, I'd have been 100% ok with that.

What are some good crime caper comedies other than Snatch, Lock Stock, and Rocknrolla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Tonight's movie options. Never seen any of these:
a) Winter's Bone
b) The French Connection
c) The Untouchables

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've got serious Epstein brain. I've seen JFK and Eyes Wide Shut recently, what's next?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Telebite posted:

Just watched a movie called Perfect that recently appeared in Shudder. I nearly mistook it for a Panos Cosmatos movie, thinking he might have made it under an alt name or something.

The acting from the main character is not very good and the dialog also isn't the best, but the visuals are a combination of Beyond the Black Rainbow combined with 1980's style vaporwave.

Too bad it's flawed, I loved the trailer

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I watched Blue Ruin and Hell or Highwater recently and both were awesome. I want to watch other stuff like them. Good low budget thrillers please.

Neither of those movies were really low budget, but good films like those I've seen recently are Green Room (same director of Blue Ruin), I Don''t Want to Live in the World Anymore (directed by the star of Blue Ruin), Cop Car, and for a very good actually low budget (like $6k) thriller, I thought The Battery was a really fun take on the zombie genre.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

On a recommendation from a recent Cum Town episode I saw The Long Good Friday and Day of the Jackal. Both were great, I'm amazed I'd never heard of either one. Any similar movies, which I guess would be 70s/80s European crime thrillers?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Scraping the bottom of the Netflix barrel. Let's see what's left on my list:
The Place Beyond the Pines, Alpha Dog, Rum Diary, Kickboxer: Retaliation. Thoughts?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Slaapaav posted:

Kickboxer: Retaliation has Christopher Lambert in it? the whole cast of that movie seems absurd

Mike Tyson is also in a prominent role, and our protagonist fights The Mountain from Game of Thrones in what may literally be the longest one on one fight scene I've ever seen in a film

It's basically an 80s Van Damme (who is also in it, obviously) film made in 2019

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Are any of Paul Verhoeven's movies worth watching outside of the classic trilogy of Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I finally watched Fear and Loathing after years of meaning too and it was great

What film about a wild drug trip should I watch next?

Altered States is a classic, though most of the special effects have *really* not aged well
Beyond the Black Rainbow is polarizing, but I'm a huge fan

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've never seen any of the Roger Moore Bond movies, except for one scene I think from Octopussy where he holds two women underwater in a pool literally just by placing a hand on top of each of their heads. Are any of them better than that or is this kind of nonsense the general vibe of 70s/80s Bond?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What are some movies where there's a faintly alluded to c-plot brewing for most of the runtime that suddenly explodes into view at the film's conclusion? The best example of this I can think of is Gangs of New York where the interpersonal rivalries are suddenly engulfed by this massive anti-draft riot that's been just under the surface until it reaches a boiling point. Joker is very similar in this regard. Once upon a time in Hollywood is another recent example. Many Cohen brothers movies are like this, although it's often several c-plots that are being juggled until they come to a head.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Could anyone recommend any movies set in Northern Canada, Alaska or Greenland?

It's not a movie but The Terror is so goddamn good.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.

Eyes Wide Shut

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Do any of you see movies of your own creation in your head? Or is it just me that's brain damaged enough to do this?

Anyway, just now I was imagining a near-future sci fi movie about a 40-something failed left wing journalist and podcaster who's at the end of his rope. He can't pay rent, but he gets a tip about a cadre of Maoists who have a secret cache of guns and drugs to steal. So he gets a heist together. Except that it's a trap, and the Maoists are cops. It's got a very Children of Men-ish vibe.

So, is there anything out there already, uh, like this? Or at least toned down a little to "desperate journalist turns to crime"?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Haha I do this too. I have a whole zombie action-comedy film in my head starring Woody Harrelson, and a Farrelly Brothers-style comedy about two rival summer camps, one for fat kids and one for little people, and it's a sports competition between them, and the opening scene is a recreation of the opening to Chariots of Fire but, you know, with a fat kid and a midget.

Anyway, no idea about your movie.

Haha I would watch the poo poo out of that summer camp movie. And good news your first one, it's called Zombieland.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon again since the first time it was released in theaters. I think I liked it even more the second time. It feels much more accessible than a lot of asian movies I've seen, which often seems like they rely on some kind of culture context I don't understand. In CT,HD so much of the story is told visually, and it helps that the cinematography is so good.

Any other Asian films, preferably historical but with or without the fantasy elements, that are similarly as easy-watching for western audiences?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Einarr Saltyman posted:

Most of similar genre to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and with some historical aspect are either war themed or martial arts themed.
Which one do you prefer ?

Both?

But let's go with war.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Is there anything else like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy out there? Just incredibly tense and tightly wound spy narratives? I know there's been a decent amount of Le Carre adaptations over the past few years, but I haven't tracked if any of them are as pitch-perfect as TTSS. I've seen the Alec Guinness BBC adaptations and while they're highly pleasant, they're not the same in terms of edge-of-your-seat tension. I could also be open to non-spy narratives that have the same vibe—maybe political thrillers? I'd say The Conversation would maybe scratch the same itch.

I'm probably going to catch Three Days of the Condor tonight, but open to other ideas.

Day of the Jackal
inasmuch as con men are spies, I was also really impressed by The Talented Mr. Ripley

how was Three Days? Still haven't seen it

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/intellegint/status/1382256872560885763

four great movies, any others that should be added to the list? bonus if they're set not in LA

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Looking for good movies set substantially in Denver or Seattle (not Sleepless in Seattle pls)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Azhais posted:

Things to do in Denver when you're dead

Comedy "battlefield earth" option

There really aren't many Denver movies are there

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just saw Lost Highway and did not really enjoy it. I was hoping for a creepy, atmospheric, surreal take on the classic road movie. What movies actually are that?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you're fine with a road trip that contains no actual roads (or cars), Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man.

Great movie except for the soundtrack being the same clanging guitar chord over and over again

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Looking for movies or tv shows where an aged CEO-emeritus type is being pushed out due to age or being "out of touch" but outmaneuvers the opposition. Think Anthony Hopkins in Westworld S1 or Brian Cox in Succession

E: or if there's a TVTropes page for this please link it

at least two characters in Game of Thrones. CEOs are modern day Lords, so it fits

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for dark/bleak/sad movies set in the American South/Appalachia

Some of the stuff I've seen and am looking for similar vibes:

Blue Ruin
True Detective Season 1
Out Of the Furnace
Gummo
Hell or High Water

Neo-westerns are ok but I'm trying to avoid traditional westerns

The Florida Project? As a Floridian I would argue that the whole state is in "the south" excepting only Palm Beach county and those further south.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just saw Deep Cover, which I had never heard of before it was recommended in this forum. Massively underrated movie about an undercover cop who becomes a drug dealer, and begins to hint at the geopolitics of the drug trade and the CIA's hand in it. Any other recommendations in this vein, especially that deal explicitly with the CIA and drugs?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think "Disco" is also poorly defined. I think for a lot of boomers then and even now if they remember it, it meant "libs doing gay stuff and drugs". There's probably people who like songs from that time that might be categorized as "Disco" but still think they hate "Disco"

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Looking for more European crime/political thrillers that I haven't seen yet. The Long Good Friday, Day of the Jackal, Z, The Battle of Algiers were all really good. Le Cercle Rouge not bad, did not dig State of Siege or Get Carter as much. What am I missing? Any newer examples of this genre that still have the same "feel" to them?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've seen some of these suggestions but not most of them. Lots of stuff to check out here, thanks all.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I rewatched the first ten minutes or so of Enter the Void at 3:30am last night after giving up on trying to sleep. Yes, being a little bit high probably helped, but I really like the movie up to the shooting after which IIRC it gets pretty bad. The hyper-first person perspective complete with hearing thoughts and blinking, and the ensuing visual effects of the drug trip, I thought made for maybe the most effective depiction of the psychedelic experience I've seen on screen. When his phone rings, I could feel the anxiety of having your trip interrupted by what you already know has to be trouble. And of course that makes what happens next all the more jarring. I think the movie could've been actually really good if the beginning had the been the end of the film (with maybe some of the out-of-body stuff at the very end, instead of being the whole movie) and the rest of it had been the story of this guy's life as an expat drug dealer in Tokyo.

All of that's to say I'm looking for two suggestions. Movies that are similarly dreamlike yet startlingly realistic like the beginning of Enter the Void. Also a movie about an American expat criminal. I've seen Only God Forgives and it was really disappointing. There was such a singular focus on shocking violence it could've been about anything and anywhere.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Southland Tales!

Saw it recently. One of the most insane things I've ever seen. Completely baffling, but you want to like it of course.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, I'd like to request recommendations for more stull like Southland Tales and Reconguista in G. Big sci-fi stories made with a very clear creative vision, full of detail, completely unafraid of confusing people, with a message or vibe the creator is desperately trying to get across to the audience. If it's widely hated or dismissed as being confusing or pretentious, that would be ideal.

definitely check out Annihilation

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm looking for movies like Assault on Precinct 13, Straw Dogs, Night of the Living Dead or even Green Room. Basically, people trapped and either defending themselves (or trying to escape) against intruders. I watched a movie called Siege (1981) on Shudder the other night that got me thinking about it and need to scratch that itch.

Searching for movies like those either returns lists of random 70s movies or zombie movies without the being trapped part of the equation.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Lucky Number Slevin

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Things to do in Denver when you're Dead

One of the above is pretty good, one is utter dreck. Which is which I leave as an exercise for the reader.

one of those is good, one is bad, one I haven't seen but it sounds really bad

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Looking for a movie similar to Punch Drunk Love. Awkward courtship between outsiders. Ending in either success or failure, it'd be interesting to see both.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I still haven't gotten around to watching it but I believe "The Terror" series would fit.

It's really, really good. I've only seen the first season but I assume that's what you meant.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Inspired by some podcasts I’ve heard recently about the supernatural and especially Bigfoot, I’m looking for a movie that’s about seeing something unexplainable (especially in the woods) and then the complicated aftermath of talking about this traumatic event and people thinking you’re crazy. The less violence involved the better.

I dunno that there is such a movie though - this type of horror movie too often just devolves into a slasher, ala Blair witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot about Fire in the Sky. I saw that as a kid. I don't remember it being very good but I enjoyed the abduction sequence. Maybe worth revisting.

I haven't seen Mothman, but I was under the impression it was kind of bad?

Thanks for the rest of the suggestions too, I'll look em up.