Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Yellow Submarine, Captain EO, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Mars Attacks, Back to the Future. And maybe Masters of the Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Army of Darkness (it's not really a zombie movie) or maybe The Matrix Revolutions.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Could anyone recommend any movies set in Northern Canada, Alaska or Greenland?

The Gold Rush, Runaway Train.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.

The Wicker Man, God Told Me To, Cast a Deadly Spell, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I would like a great pre-Star Wars science fiction film. A cynical one that reflects our current hellscape lol. I’ve never seen Logan’s Run, A Boy and His Dog, Soylent Green or any of them. But if something sounds a little more relevant I’d like to hear it.

1968’s Planet of the Apes might’ve set off the pre-Star Wars cynical SF trend, which included movies like Silent Running and the ones you mentioned. There's also The Quatermass Conclusion, which was released as a movie and as a TV mini-series; it came out after Star Wars but was written several years earlier.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 13, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

massive spider posted:

I’m looking for a “self destructive youth” movie. Think Trainspotting or similar.

Crazed Fruit.

Comedy options are any of the juvenile delinquent films from MST3K: Teen-Age Crime Wave, High School Big Shot, The Violent Years, etc.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Any fun and/or offbeat good entertainment documentaries? Mostly I've been digging music docs, loved Beastie Boys Story and I Am Thor for example. But I'd also be interested in ones about other entertainers.

I guess another thing that makes a really good doc is one that doesn't just feel like it's going over a career like VH1. Has a little extra character to it.

I'm gonna check out that Zappa one for sure.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise is about the birth of space travel on an alien though Earth-like planet.

I guess Spaceballs and Starcrash count. I don't think Galaxy of Terror mentions Earth.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 25, 2021

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

I’d like to watch something in the vein of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood. Something adventure-y and fun, preferably with a really good sword fight. To help you refine your recommendations, some of my favorite movies that already fit this vibe are The Court Jester, The Scarlet Pimpernel (both the Leslie Howard version and the 1980s movie with Ian McKellan and Anthony Andrews), and The Magic Sword. (Yeah, the one from MST3k, with Gary Lockwood.) Thanks in advance.

The Black Pirate (1926), The Mark of Zorro (1940), The Princess Bride (1987). Also check this list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swashbuckler_film

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Gripweed posted:

What are some good cult movies? I mean movies featuring cults, not movies with cult followings. Although movies about cults that also have cult followings are fine.

The Black Cat (1934), The Seventh Victim, The Devil's Hand, City of the Dead, Blood on Satan's Claw.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 27, 2022

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

The Seventh Seal with a young Demi Moore works for this and is an underated flick

I think you mean The Seventh Sign, but The Seventh Seal works if you consider Death to be an angel.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
You’ve probably seen some of these, but: The Thing (as good as the remake), It! (the same basic plot as Alien), the Quatermass movies (influential UK SF), The Angry Red Planet (trippy Mars movie), The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (inspiration for Godzilla), Robot Monster (infamous low-budget goofy movie), The Monolith Monsters (very unique plot), The 27th Day (aliens give humans the power to destroy the world and we see what they do), The Giant Claw (goofiest monster ever), Fiend Without a Face (one of the first movies with explicitly gory effects), Invisible Invaders (pre-NotLD zombie movie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
There's a 1983 TV movie called Special Bulletin which is presented as a news broadcast covering a terrorist group threatening to detonate a nuclear bomb.

1994's Without Warning is a TV movie presented as a news broadcast covering a disastrous first contact with aliens.