Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Watch more of Apichatpong Weerasethakul if you can
Most things by Raul Ruiz (Manoel on the Island of Marvels, On Top of the Whale, Three Crowns of the Sailor, City of Pirates, etc.)
Limite
Jean Cocteau movies
Jean Rollin's
The short movies of Nobuhiko Obayashi
Sergei Parajanov (Colour of Pomegranates, Ashik Kerib, Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors)
Bi Gan (Kaili Blues, Long Days Journey into Night)
Czech/Slovak stuff like Valerie and her Week of Wonders, Morgiana, Fruit of Paradise, Birds Orphans Fools, Szinbad
Shuji Terayama (Pastoral: to Die in the Country, Grass Labyrinth, Farewell to the Ark, etc.)
Naomi Kawase (Suzaku, Shara)
Marguerite Duras (India Song, Agatha and the Limitless Readings, L’Homme Atlantique)
Aleksandr Sokurov's
A bunch of surrealist silent French movies (The Seashell and the Clergyman, Menilmontant, Autumn Mists, Entr’acte, etc.)
Man Follows Birds
Cafe Noir
A Midsummer's Fantasia
Romance Joe
Serail
Cuadecuc, Vampir
a bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
Little Odessa

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

I liked it a lot. Are there any others worth mentioning?

There's Lancelot du lac and Perceval le gallois but both may fall on the subversive side of things you were wanting to avoid. Subversive in presentation rather than theme and story (deeply austere and antiheroic on one hand, hyperartificial with pantomime sets in the other). I don't know. Give them a chance if they're available, you might like them.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
Some of these might be set in German cities that aren't Berlin (some might be Austria):
The Gold of Love (Das Gold der Liebe)
Germany in Autumn (Deutschland im Herbst)
Berlin Now
Neonstadt
The Third Generation (Die dritte Generation)
Supermarkt
Volkspolizei 1985
The Patriot (Die Patriotin)
The Power of Emotion (Die Macht der Gefühle)
Ticket of No Return (Bildnis einer Trinkerin)
Asphalt Night (Asphaltnacht)
The All-Around Reduced Personality (Die Allseitig reduzierte Persönlichkeit - Redupers)
The Schleyer Tape (Das Schleyer-Band)

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

Digital neorealism. Neorealism shot on the digital camera. native videotape

Personal Problems (1980)
The Forest for the Trees (2003)
Julien Donkey Boy (1999)
In Vanda’s Room (2000)
Dancer in the Dark (2000)
Gips (2001)
Girlfriend: Someone Please Stop the World (2004)
Noriko’s Dinner Table (2005)
Kotoko (2011)
Oxhide (2005) , Oxhide II (2009)
Take Out (2004)
Chuck and Buck (2000)
Another Girl Another Planet (1992)

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
The Cloud Capped Star, Old Joy, Charisma, La Libertad, Baobab Play

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g2TliYT5Wk

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Paris Texas comes to mind. It's got drama but not more so than No Country I think, it's got a cool vibe to it. And Harry Dean Stanton is always cool.

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

I've seen 62, not to say you've gotta peruse that page there, but if not I've seen I think the usual big ones and cult classics etc. But I'm sure I'm missing cool stuff. I'm looking to watch at least 24 more, 86 in 86 has a nice ring to it. A couple of them are anime video series but hey close enough. I've at least gotta hit 70.

There are some other years I'm looking to bone up on, but figure I'll start there. Plus I just like 86, it's got Blue Velvet, Transformers: The Movie, what couldn't it do. Also, if you were gonna recommend a cool movie and it turns out it wasn't from 86, feel free to post that anyway. I know this is broad, but I got quotas to fill here.

The Seventh Curse, Combat Shock, Killer Party, Routine Pleasures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
Don't Let The Riverbeast Get You