Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

I have a weird craving for a good horror movie with a demon villain whose ambitions aim higher than "inflict relatively juvenile terror on some random family for kicks". I don't know why I keep inflicting James Wan movies upon myself and would love for a palate cleanser where the antagonist isn't just some petty pest to send the roach patrol after.

Surely an effectively immortal and profoundly evil being has far better things to do with its time?

Murnau's Faust (1926)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are some decent "spooky medieval action fantasy" movies? Think like 13th warrior, the bit in Greta and Hansel where the huntsman is briefly present, that recent Viking movie based on the old tale that also influenced Hamlet, etc.

I guess another way to put it would be stuff like the spookier parts of LotR?

I'll take any decent B movie recommendations, I figure I've already seen anything that would be called truly excellent, like The Green Knight.

Uh, The Seventh Seal if you've not already seen it. Maybe? I realize it's probably not quite what you're looking for, but drat if it doesn't fit the definition and I can't imagine there are many movies that do.

Much as I'd like to endorse Name of the Rose, for instance, it doesn't have that much action and is more far-fetched than real fantasy.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

For film proper, David Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross.

What you really want though is the BBC show Play for Today, though Wikipedia says it had a predecessor and successors you can look up. Apparently that's where that Abigail's Party production came from, though I was going to mention this before learning that. I specifically recommend Dennis Potter (that must've been how I found out about it), who wrote well-regarded "plays" and miniseries straight for television. Among those I double recommend the TV version of Brimstone and Treacle, but I emphasize not the weak film version made just because the BBC made the thing then wouldn't air it. It still gets put on as a stage play now and again.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 25, 2023

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

For puzzle films, which I guess is what this is, I don't think you're going to do better than Primer already, but for a runner-up it's probably Memento, maybe The Prestige. I've not seen Tenet, but I see the connection there. I don't know how many people even try to make this kind of film in earnest, and myself I think audio drama is a superior medium for it due to the greater possibility for subterfuge with audio-only.

A Matter of Life and Death can fit the bill, but the puzzle may well have no solution. I personally missed what I regard as a big Holy poo poo moment and had to read about it after.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

The Passion of the Christ

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Looking for the best movies with the following premise: there’s between four and ten people stuck in a place where bad poo poo is happening but it’s impossible to leave. Alien, The Void, Cabin in the Woods, Event Horizon, Hateful Eight, Bad Times at the El Royale, that one oil rig movie, the m night shymalan one where there are three people in an elevator counts, Predator and Predators kinda but usually the space is more enclosed, what else is in this lane that I’m not thinking of? Saw 2, Cube I guess. I’m pretty sure there are some Westerns im not thinking of too.

One of the Westerns you're thinking of is probably Stagecoach.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Jesus Christ Superstar and maybe The Life of Brian, though I don't remember if I've seen all of the latter straight through.

I'd like to stretch to make Aguirre, the Wrath of God work, but I'm not sure I can.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I'm about to either blow your mind or get you to blow me off: The Scarlett Empress (1934). Best to go in blind, but if you must know what an over-the-top, melodramatic historical about Catherine the Great that is not sci-fi, not really horror, and is barely action could have in common with the Alien movies, well, this movie is 12 types of of crazy, and the most prominent is that past Act 1 it looks like it was designed by HR Giger years before he was born.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Diary of a Country Priest
Passion of Joan of Arc
maybe The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
if Vertigo, then Rear Window too

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Inspired by some podcasts I’ve heard recently about the supernatural and especially Bigfoot, I’m looking for a movie that’s about seeing something unexplainable (especially in the woods) and then the complicated aftermath of talking about this traumatic event and people thinking you’re crazy. The less violence involved the better.

I dunno that there is such a movie though - this type of horror movie too often just devolves into a slasher, ala Blair witch

Don't know if this is kosher, but I'll start by recommending you not see Fire in the Sky, though I guess it fits the bill technically.

Wizchine posted:

The Mothman Prophecies
This hits it on the head, and it's a good film to boot. Start here unless you want to build up to it.

A Matter of Life and Death is the best movie made (I know of) that could fit the bill, but you have to stretch a bit to fit it in. Or more than a bit.

If you're willing to be flexible on definitions and go past best-ever lists, Jacob's Ladder could be worth a try.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Hi! I have a movie date night coming up and was looking for some good horror/thriller movies that are streaming. She's seen a lot of them so the more I can throw against the wall the better!

Peeping Tom, if like me she hadn't heard of this progenitor of its kind. This movie is to Psycho what Doom Patrol is to X-men. No way is Psycho based on it, but it feels so much like it you have to remember it came out first.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

ynohtna posted:

It feels like a weak suggestion but lots of Studio Ghibli reliably hits that spot for me. A strongly reinforced theme that no matter what strange unavoidable calamities may happen, we can adapt, heal, grow and improve and offer support to the good people around us.

Miyazaki Ghibli sure. (Maybe take out The Wind Rises, couple others?) Maybe the best recs you could get. But just Ghibli? DO NOT WATCH GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES if you want what you say.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I should do an actual recommendation:

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

Senso (1954 Italian)

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

whiskas posted:

I've been living under a rock for the last 15 years as far as movies go....

I'm in almost the same boat since I acquired a weird conditional eye pain disability in 2008. Still I have some:

Moonlight
Joker (on the off chance you haven't seen it, since you watched The Dark Knight 3 times)

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

whiskas posted:

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I've been putting them all into a list from top to bottom and I'm really excited to get through it. There's definitely stuff in there I would have never found myself. I just finished Moonlight tonight and was blown away by how well it was shot. Makes you appreciate how powerful silence can be, you don't need to fill every second of film with dialog or music.

Since you liked Moonlight you might try Boyhood, if only to compare. Bildungsroman (not just coming-of-age, which can cover a short period like Stand by Me) isn't a common movie subgenre, and the only alternative approach to Moonlight's is Boyhood's. I'm not aware of anything like Boyhood being done in film before or since, though apparently Linklater's trying again.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

In A Lonely Place - a subdued Bogart does not play a detective like he did for years but instead a washed-up screenwriter who becomes the prime suspect in a murder. Such good stuff

Darn you for beating me to my only recommendation, probably the best for this except maybe it's not slow. A rare (only?) noir where the solution to the mystery matters (I mean you couldn't make it work by rewriting the solution), though for an ironic reason.

EDIT: Oh runner-up, I tended to think of Pale Flower as just a really good yakuza film, but the critics call it a noir, which certainly does fit, and it would do for what you asked for.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 7, 2023

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for more movies like Bronson or Chopper where the main character is just completely loving unhinged in strange and/or unconventional ways. Emphasis on how how bizarre their insanity is, or how it doesn't fit into stereotypes of insanity or evil.

Obviously doesn't need to have a prison theme like those movies do.

I'm not so pompous to say God has smiled on you this day, but God has smiled on me this day, because you have made my day, because I long to recommend Satantango, and I just got to.

A little bit of a stretch since there's no real main character, more of a lynchpin character like the Ledger joker is in Dark Knight. Maybe not the most insane or evil, but that movie defines outre, which is what you sound like you want most.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Is saying Bridge on the River Kwai too obvious? It's practically a must for what you want.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Forgot one I remembered for something else: Grave of the Fireflies, for Japan.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Jules and Jim
Moonlight
Brokeback Mountain
The Red Shoes (arguably)

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Jules and Jim as a romance is debatable.

I thought love triangle automatically means romance. I would have said The Earrings of Madame de... but someone beat me to it, then I thought of another good movie that plot element reminded me of. Or maybe I thought of it first because I'm sure it belongs.

Anyway, I remembered some great ones that didn't spring to mind at first:

Au Hasard Balthasar (what the focus is must have thrown me)
Last Year at Marienbad [pre-redacted, see it for yourself]

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Eyes Wide Shut
Make Way for Tomorrow

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 24, 2023

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Any good movies in the genre of incredibly isolated/alienated/enduring great hardship character studies that have a positive ending?

I find a lot of what my brother and I affectionaly call the "literally me" genre (Taxi Driver, Drive, Bringing out the Dead, Joker, May, Excision, etc) often leads to the character either dying or some sort of tragic/hopeless end.

Are there any movies where they take a similar premise but the main character actually manages to change things for the better, overcome their hardship, or any other sort of positive/happy outcome?

A Prayer Before Dawn and Buffalo 66 are the only two that really come to mind, but "positive ending" is definitely a stretch for those two.

Pretty wide open request so even if a rec only kinda fits, feel free to toss it out

Umberto D

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

mrfart posted:

Any good comedy movies?
Preferably streaming on Amazon prime?
I struggle to find any good new comedies that I like. If possible absurd or a bit weird.

I must have missed "new" the first time through, but if you're flexible on that there's Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Been a while myself though, so it's probably a so bad it's maybe funny.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Grey Elephants posted:

I watched Aniara recently and haven't stopped thinking about it. Any other movies where the horror/tension comes from the sheer vastness and isolation of time and space?

Hadn't heard about that one. Solaris vaguely fits, but I think the earthbound movie Snowpiercer might come as close or closer.

EDIT: also Moon
Doubt EDIT: similar posters too, for Moon. Huh.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 23, 2023

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

If they liked Downton Abbey you should try its ancestor Gosford Park.
Easiest to try American traditionals like Yankee Doodle Dandy and Patton if they haven't already seen them, but I like that idea of veering British, and I recommend the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp for it.
If they're Christian the Gospel According to St. Matthew
If they're Christian and open to arthouse type movies, then Ordet, possibly Diary of a Country Priest.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Glengarry Glen Ross, arguably. Maybe not quite what you have in mind, but it centers on a crime and a mystery, and there is no greater cast or ensemble performance I know of.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Easy Rider

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Into the Woods

EDIT: I'd forget the glasses on my face. The current Oscar winner Everything Everywhere All at Once might do.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 20, 2023

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

From Onomarchus's childhood:

X: The Man with the X-ray Eyes (I mainly remember the ending, and if you're young enough you just try and forget it)
The Fly (er, I meant the first but you can try Cronenberg films if you think they can handle it. If.)

I'm not sure I even saw The Pit and the Pendulum, the memories are so dim, but a child's horror exposure should include Vincent Price, and that one's another Roger Corman too.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Shoot, forgot Gremlins, Little Shop of Horrors (1986), and Gremlins 2, for a slight change of pace.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about people facing the end of their lives, either by their own hand or unwillingly.

Bieutiful, Lucky, Dallas Buyers Club, Ikiru, Leaving Las Vegas, stuff like that

Milk
Diary of a Country Priest
Million Dollar Baby
Harakiri

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 29, 2023

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Almost forgot, it would be a bit flip to mention Jesus movies, but the silent The Passion of Joan of Arc is practically a must-see for this.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

United 93

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

This leans more toward the best/acclaimed rather than popular, but you seemed game.

Daisies: mandatory if you have ever enjoyed Adult Swim type programming
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (one of the 2 leads is male, but still)
Cléo from 5 to 7
Celine and Julie Go Boating (warning: I didn't adore it and it's probably an acquired taste, but it is as woman-centric as Daisies or really anything)
The Passion of Joan of Arc: silent, has what's been called the best acting in film ever, this by a woman in the 1920s. The actress did essentially nothing else on film and on the strength of this alone became a one-name star, Falconetti.

ynohtna posted:

A Woman Under the Influence

Very much this.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Some from the popular side of the aisle:

The Scarlet Empress: I love this one because it is bonkers in all the right ways without even being an art film.
All About Eve: pair this one with Sunset Boulevard.
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?: no warranties express or implied on quality, but this was important enough to get a miniseries about its making.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Moonlight
The 1968 Romeo and Juliet

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I was going to say Seven Samurai, but I think Yojimbo and even Red Beard hit the spot better.

EDIT: I seem to remember more after sleeping and I'm the type to forget the glasses on my face.

Schindler's List if that's not too fighting-a-war-against-Nazi-Germany.
World Trade Center, no caveat

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

drat, didn't know this existed as it's own thing, but now you have to try Yellow Submarine if you haven't already.
Also, maybe UHF.