Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i watched the island of lost souls and the testament of dr mabuse today. recommend me movies from the 30s to watch. i have the petrified forest lined up for now (mostly because of leslie howard being amazing in 49th paralel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
39 steps was pretty good!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Kanine posted:

i know this is a really hard question, but what's your favorite zombie movie of all time

Omega man. easy question

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

DeimosRising posted:

Not even the best adaptation of that story. Not even the second best! Get lost!

i havent seen the last man on earth so il give you that but please dont say the will smith movie is better because charlton heston > will smith.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Timby posted:

It's kind of amazing that I Am Legend has been adapted into a movie three times (four, if you count Asylum's take on it, I suppose), and yet none of them have had the balls to stick to the original ending.

do they shoot a dog in it or something?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
do you mean like in where 2 different characters take on each others personality?.

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 6, 2019

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
when i watch Live and die in LA i think about GTA

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
hell comes to frogtown
the new barbarians (might be the worst movie on the list but worth it for the soundtrack alone, its worth rewatches for just the soundtrack)
blood for dracula
tremors
blue thunder
utu
extreme prejudice
rapid fire
near dark

maybe you will like some of these but you might also hate some of them!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Kanine posted:

hey does anyone have particularly good recommendations for ww2 underground resistance films?

i like army of shadows, its about the french resistance. very gritty and grim but a great film

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
nine lives from 1957 about the norwegian resistance was nominated for an oscar and voted greatest norwegian movie of all time. i dont think many people outside of norway have seen this but its fantastic and escapes a lot of the negative trappings of older norwegian cinema. its also based on a true story

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Manchurian candidate is a classic. i think its great! it also has multiple connections to JFK which i think is a very good film.

it would make a great double feature with JFK if that movie wasnt 3 hours long and you hadnt already watched it.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the best movies are flawed

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The Last Seduction is amazing.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Kickboxer: Retaliation has Christopher Lambert in it? the whole cast of that movie seems absurd

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 28, 2020

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The Marriage of Maria Braun is pretty good, deals with post war stuff and its partly shot in Berlin. its from 1978 so it even fits the era you wanted!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Dredd is fantastic and fits the "efficient story" bit very well.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the best bond movies for me are the trashiest ones: You only live twice and Live and let die. I enjoyed them as a kid and i enjoy them now. high budget exploitation cinema at its finest.

octopussy has a lovely plot and its a very boring bond, no interesting characters, meh setpieces. i dont think anyone likes this one.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive watched you only live twice more times than any other movie not just among bond movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The Descent has amazing atmosphere