Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think I was getting a bit ahead of myself because my dude's ability in face of the franchise is totally op against the AI. Two consecutive completions of five yards or more and you enter the zone and can't be intercepted by AI defenders. If you're playing at home I think it's just one completion because of a complementary ability. Then if you avoid throwing two incompletions in a row you'll stay in that zone. I feel like that saved my bacon so many times probably on bad throws that would've and should've been intercepted.

The thing I'm not into with playing humans is the cheese. I like using a bunch of different plays and just kinda going freestyle whereas I have a feeling most human players are just gonna have some cheesy rear end plays that will victimize the AI every time, force you to move your guy to put a stop to it and then come out with a different kind of cheese that will victimize you for being focused on the first one. Is that how it generally goes or do most people not do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
PC update: lag spikes seem gone, stadium crowd audio still sounds lovely and cuts in and out like a bad BT connection, my franchise has no face but a profile shot

Play
Apr 25, 2006

cheek of the franchise

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Play posted:

I think I was getting a bit ahead of myself because my dude's ability in face of the franchise is totally op against the AI. Two consecutive completions of five yards or more and you enter the zone and can't be intercepted by AI defenders. If you're playing at home I think it's just one completion because of a complementary ability. Then if you avoid throwing two incompletions in a row you'll stay in that zone. I feel like that saved my bacon so many times probably on bad throws that would've and should've been intercepted.

The thing I'm not into with playing humans is the cheese. I like using a bunch of different plays and just kinda going freestyle whereas I have a feeling most human players are just gonna have some cheesy rear end plays that will victimize the AI every time, force you to move your guy to put a stop to it and then come out with a different kind of cheese that will victimize you for being focused on the first one. Is that how it generally goes or do most people not do that?

Goon leagues dont allow cheesey behavior. Dont play pubbies

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I demand better college choices for Face of the Franchise

Oberst
May 24, 2010

*EA big voice*

Clemsons in the game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

I demand better college choices for Face of the Franchise

It's just a lazy rear end reskinned nfl team anyways, there's nothing that separates the teams you choose except for uniform. You'll have the same coach and teammates regardless lol.

Seriously, EA is so loving lazy and you can see it in basically every game mode. Put some college player skins in there, a few disturbing character models for short cutscenes, a few two-option choices presented that don't loving matter one bit, and boom you've got "face of the franchise". I'm still playing though :(

Oberst
May 24, 2010

@scud @scud @scud

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Bad game not arriving until monday

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oberst posted:

Bad game not arriving until monday

good, maximize the time away from the bad game

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Haven't played madden in quite a while so decided to give it a try and loaded up face of the franchise. Make it to the NC, I'm losing but i tie up the game with a last second field goal and made sure there was 0 time left. Somehow the AI still gets the ball with 0 time on the clock. At first i thought this was the start of OT, but nope i stop them, they punt, then i get the end of regulation start of OT graphics.

Well, they get the ball first at my 25, i stop them once more and they kick a field goal. Final

Play
Apr 25, 2006

VietCampo posted:

Haven't played madden in quite a while so decided to give it a try and loaded up face of the franchise. Make it to the NC, I'm losing but i tie up the game with a last second field goal and made sure there was 0 time left. Somehow the AI still gets the ball with 0 time on the clock. At first i thought this was the start of OT, but nope i stop them, they punt, then i get the end of regulation start of OT graphics.

Well, they get the ball first at my 25, i stop them once more and they kick a field goal. Final

I've had games in face of the franchise refuse to end before, as well. I think one in particular, I was playing the Chargers and I kicked a final field goal that left double zeroes on the clock but it just took me back to the simming page as if we were waiting for a new play but nothing happened and eventually I had to restart the whole game. Just play it again, it shouldn't be too hard. Throw to Street, I'm guessing he's the highest rated character on offense

I'm starting to get a lot better at the game. I can dominate pretty much any AI opponent in all-pro, especially in arcade mode which is definitely the most fun way to play. All-Madden is a bit hit or miss, seems like the break the laws of physics to make it harder on you but it's still winnable just less of a sure thing. Think I'll play some online games today to see how I match up against human opponents. I'm not very good at all at hitsticking which seems like a big part of it

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Bad game in my grubby hands

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Ps4 league thread soon

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well I played a few online games. The first one was either a child or a mentally disabled man, I tried to let him score so he wouldn't feel bad but I failed.

The next two were cheesemasters, you can tell they have the few plays the run and hot routes that exploit the AI's coverages. The games were still kind of fun because I did things on offense but defense was frustrating and they also managed to strip me three times which I had no idea was even a thing. I haven't played much under the "competitive" setting so maybe I should try that.

Oh also I won some games on all-madden. The AI just isn't that hard to victimize

I'd like to play with some goons on PC, maybe I'll check in to the discord

Oberst
May 24, 2010

We dont have an organized pc league because daltos and oldskool are cowards but heres the goon madden doscord link

https://discord.gg/YNPAAeZ

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Play posted:

The next two were cheesemasters, you can tell they have the few plays the run and hot routes that exploit the AI's coverages.

Jesus Christ, already?

loving Techmo Super Bowl had game balance more figured out 25 years ago.

Except for Bo Jackson and however people did that d-line glitch that always blocked FG's and wrecked play action passes.

How can they continue to fail to make this game better beyond the graphics?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus Christ, already?

loving Techmo Super Bowl had game balance more figured out 25 years ago.

Except for Bo Jackson and however people did that d-line glitch that always blocked FG's and wrecked play action passes.

How can they continue to fail to make this game better beyond the graphics?

I mean, technically it's just another level of competition how well you can memorize and adapt plays to suit situations. I'm just not all that interested in that kind of thing. It'd be really cool if you could set your preferences and then be matched to others with the same preferences. For example I'd be fine with taking hot routes out of the game so you only run base plays which makes it infinitely harder to cheese.

But yeah, there are definitely some combos that make it really easy on you. You can have a man beater like a curl on one side, then a zone beater like a flat/corner/post on the other. Unless the defense users to take it away you can basically just take the flat or the curl every time. If they do try to take it away just go where they aren't. It's unfortunate because I'm not a sperglord I just wanna play a fun football game that's well balanced

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Looks like I'm just gonna keep playing Madden 19 because I just GM franchise anyways.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OxySnake posted:

Looks like I'm just gonna keep playing Madden 19 because I just GM franchise anyways.

If you don't love the gameplay changes then there's no reason to upgrade, I agree. I'm the type who's still gonna play basically every game even if I do franchise mode

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This game is fun cant wait for them to ruin it to appease mut

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
The CPU clock management is absolute dogshit. They often fail to take timeouts and let the clock run out when in field goal range or near the goal line at the end of the half/game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Toona the Cat posted:

The CPU clock management is absolute dogshit. They often fail to take timeouts and let the clock run out when in field goal range or near the goal line at the end of the half/game.

Yeah it's awful, the did a horrible job with that. Closing second of the first half and you almost never see them take a field goal even if they're in range.

Honestly I'm starting to cool considerably on the game. I'll probably play it a few more times but I feel like I've basically done most of what I wanted to do, even if I never learned how to hit stick good. I can beat the AI repeatedly on all madden (arcade) which is the most fun game mode imo. Next step would be memorizing adjustments to plays on defense to try and cheese and attempting to be competitive online but I don't think I need to go there.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Madden is a pvp game not a pvcpu game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Madden is a pvp game not a pvcpu game

it's a lovely pvp game in that case because it's horribly balanced. You can win easily by cheesing, just go on youtube and figure out the play calls and adjustments that are required. There are hot routes that basically can't be beaten, ways to adjust your lineup and break the game in your favor by calling certain plays, etc. Poorly balanced, which you can easily see in the fact that zone defense is completely loving broken

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yes ea is bad at video games but some (not all) of the stuff you said is just you being bad

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Toona the Cat posted:

Play posted:

Yeah it's awful, the did a horrible job with that.

How?

How do they gently caress this up constantly?

I guess because why bother when lemmings show up every year at midnight regardless but my god. loving Techmo Bowl had AI clock management.

Metapod posted:

Yes ea is bad at video games

I don't even know that they're BAD so much as they have no reason to care. Getting 2-4 million people to buy a game at full price EVERY YEAR regardless of how broken it is doesn't lead them to think they're bad at anything. A genuine flop where people just say gently caress it or a legit competitor are the only things I can think of that will get them to up their game(s).

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 13, 2019

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
some of yall motherfuckers dont play in sasfl and it shows

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Played my first online game in years, opponent ragequit a 7-7 game, apparently out of boredom.

I always run, always punt, and always run the play clock inside of 5 seconds.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Dubious posted:

some of yall motherfuckers dont play in sasfl and it shows

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Wrong post

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Play posted:

it's a lovely pvp game in that case because it's horribly balanced. You can win easily by cheesing, just go on youtube and figure out the play calls and adjustments that are required. There are hot routes that basically can't be beaten, ways to adjust your lineup and break the game in your favor by calling certain plays, etc. Poorly balanced, which you can easily see in the fact that zone defense is completely loving broken

This is why the goon league is good. We dont allow cheese like this

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

How?

How do they gently caress this up constantly?

I guess because why bother when lemmings show up every year at midnight regardless but my god. loving Techmo Bowl had AI clock management.

I don't even know that they're BAD so much as they have no reason to care. Getting 2-4 million people to buy a game at full price EVERY YEAR regardless of how broken it is doesn't lead them to think they're bad at anything. A genuine flop where people just say gently caress it or a legit competitor are the only things I can think of that will get them to up their game(s).

EA has exclusive rights to nfl poo poo in near-perpetuity so long as they pay to renew it for however long, so who fuckin knows when there'll be an actual good football game if u wanna sim yer fav team. approximately neverish i reckon

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Bad game fun?????

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On PC version, all I ever see to the side of the field, is camera men and photographers?????? How did EA gently caress up the stadium atmosphere so badly this year.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'd be interested to play with any SA folks who want to on PC. I have no idea how that would be accomplished though

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Daltos is the pc commish pm him in the madden discord for deets

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Oops ea patched it again

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I was wondering if anyone else had tried this, I recently decided to go back to Madden 19 and sim a franchise 20 years until all the current players retired. I find I get too attached to bad IRL players and waste time and energy trying to make them better so I figured starting with all random folks would be more fun for me.

I simmed 20 years and ended up with a 62 OVR team with 20 years worth of coach xp, and years of player xp unspent. Spending all the xp brought my OVR to 69. My roster was not maxed out without backups at random positions. There were tons of 80 OVR players who were free agents but I guess the CPU wouldn’t sign because they were all 28 and over.

Overall I am not confident that this will actually be a fun franchise to play. Is this just bad luck or is the CPU really that bad when you sim?

Do people make entire rosters without real players to get that same effect without the CPU GM fuckery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
What I've noticed most about franchise mode in 19 and 20 is the game randomly chooses to make things harder at certian points and it's obvious. Like all the sudden, i'll throw 6 INTs in a game against super-human linebackers when, normally, I sit at 85+ completion percentage and throw 1 pick on a bad day.

i'm too lazy to gently caress with sliders and play on all-pro since all-madden is broke.