Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
NA, yep. We are also in the NW Ostaria region. This is important to choose after you finish the tutorial. The House (clan) consists of IRL friends, goons and randos from Reddit and in-game. No one weird or creepy yet and I'd kick them out anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
So honestly -- if goons rushed this game it would probably be pretty amazing. I've been playing with 20-30 people I'm friends with who are taking a city, and the game REALLY opens up then.

Having said that -- this game has some crippling gameplay/balance flaws that absolutely need to be looked at. And the matchmaking is a joke, trying to level while you're getting deleted by level 80+ people isn't fun at all.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 16, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Kimsemus posted:

So honestly -- if goons rushed this game it would probably be pretty amazing. I've been playing with 20-30 people I'm friends with who are taking a city, and the game REALLY opens up then.

Having said that -- this game has some crippling gameplay/balance flaws that absolutely need to be looked at. And the matchmaking is a joke, trying to level while you're getting deleted by level 80+ people isn't fun at all.

We're at 14 I think right now. Slowly building up. It's pretty fun.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 4, 2020

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What's the deal with this game getting flagged as Malware?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Stanley Pain posted:

What's the deal with this game getting flagged as Malware?
Most likely false positive because of the anti-cheat or something.
You're probably just sending launch codes for nuclear weapons to russian secret service.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

Most likely false positive because of the anti-cheat or something.
You're probably just sending launch codes for nuclear weapons to russian secret service.

Has the anti cheat been working? Last time I played there were people moving around at incredible speeds wiping out whole groups in seconds. How's the balance in the game these days? I have played since closed beta.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I wasn't in the closed beta but there was a lot of complaints about nerfs during the open beta. It generally doesn't seem like a great idea to be doing anything without your troops

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 4, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ran into a guy with Tier 3 shield troops, he would order into schiltron and heal them constantly. I was actually impressed and mimicked this. Just take comfort that even if you lose the meaningless team battle, the fact your trashed his troops means it'll cost him like 12k bronze to refit.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
wrt the false positive and cheating thing --

some steam reviews have been complaining about false positive, this concerned me as well, but it seems like they've gotten whitelisted from Microsoft since a lot of that was reported, and if you're doubly concerned, you can turn off P2P patching in the settings on the launcher.

As for cheating -- I know they fixed injection where you can't just use cheat engine and stuff anymore, and I haven't seen speedhacking or the like since then. However, I am 95% certain I have seen people using CRs (combat routines) or combat macros but that's a lot more subtle and hard to catch. There is some concern that SO much is handled clientside, such as ability cooldowns and stuff like that, but hopefully they will continue to shunt things server-side so it won't be as bad.

CB is a trillion times more fun when you're playing with people you know on comms, but even losing in 100% pubbie groups isn't so bad since it still rewards a good amount of xp/currency. Levelling alone is not fun though, as sometimes you end up in matches with people with much higher tier troops and equipment, who just kick the poo poo out of you immediately.

Territory control will drive everything in a few weeks, when people need access to territory to get the highest tier stuff, so wars are already popping off. I kind of enjoy the EVE-esque intrigue and politics supporting this, at least in our region.

In sum, after about 25 hours of play, I can say CB has a lot that's cool about it, but it's mired by some weird design choices and flaws. I hope/expect that will all be fixed as time goes on though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

My biggest gripe is the lack of social tools. It needs to be more robust. Being able to set your attitude towards different groups should be possible.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 4, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Longsword, poleaxe, shortsword, nodachi and musket imo

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
glaive / longsword are my go-to since they share the same stats, but musket cheese is always good it seems.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Kimsemus posted:

glaive / longsword are my go-to since they share the same stats, but musket cheese is always good it seems.

What's your stat distro? Any recommendations for longsword?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Glenn Quebec posted:

What's your stat distro? Any recommendations for longsword?

So I roll 25 Toughness/80 Strength

For Glaive this makes you do enough damage to be a threat against players but you absolutely trash units like they were made of paper. You can even jump into shield walls and hit a couple of AOEs and basically breach an entire line, just roll back out into your own if there are players babysitting it.

For longsword this is pretty good too, since you do insane amounts of damage and have some pretty epic push power/standing power to stop other pushes. Some people roll pure Toughness for Longsword and while you won't die (as easily), you don't really do enough damage against players or units to really be any kind of threat or have any ability on your own.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 17, 2019

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

joining as QueebSA

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Kimsemus posted:

So I roll 25 Toughness/80 Strength

For Glaive this makes you do enough damage to be a threat against players but you absolutely trash units like they were made of paper. You can even jump into shield walls and hit a couple of AOEs and basically breach an entire line, just roll back out into your own if there are players babysitting it.

For longsword this is pretty good too, since you do insane amounts of damage and have some pretty epic push power/standing power to stop other pushes. Some people roll pure Toughness for Longsword and while you won't die (as easily), you don't really do enough damage against players or units to really be any kind of threat or have any ability on your own.

Someone on Reddit recommended high armor followed by strength if I wanna trash units. Were they full of poo poo? Also, why toughness over armor?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Glenn Quebec posted:

Someone on Reddit recommended high armor followed by strength if I wanna trash units. Were they full of poo poo? Also, why toughness over armor?

I'll find the math that someone did, but apparently raw HP is more useful in most situations than armor. I will try to cite my sources when I find it again though.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

puberty worked me over posted:

Yeah that would be of interest to me because +72 toughness is only 7200 hp which isn't much.

Yeah. Though, kem has inspired me to try out the glaive. I tried to poleax but just can't get the hang of it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah. Though, kem has inspired me to try out the glaive. I tried to poleax but just can't get the hang of it.

It's great on units, and OK against players, until you get Warlord's Greeting II which is a pretty amazing stun that you open with and just melt people 1v1.

also if you guys are slogging the territory war up north and not having luck, we're brawling down south and close to taking pretty big swathes if you want in.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Kimsemus posted:

It's great on units, and OK against players, until you get Warlord's Greeting II which is a pretty amazing stun that you open with and just melt people 1v1.

also if you guys are slogging the territory war up north and not having luck, we're brawling down south and close to taking pretty big swathes if you want in.

Ah, I don't want to restart my character and ask the whole house to do so as well. Though, once they open up travel I wouldn't be opposed to an alliance.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 17, 2019

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
If I was to start musket, how long would it take roughly to be able to use bow for the option to switch?

Also, the musket armour shown at character creation - how the heck do I get that ? It looks awesome.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Getting the requisite points to get a new weapon will come pretty quickly. Just a few matches. I'm sure the armor you like will be a cosmetic. I'm not sure what it looks like.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Iymarra posted:

If I was to start musket, how long would it take roughly to be able to use bow for the option to switch?

Also, the musket armour shown at character creation - how the heck do I get that ? It looks awesome.

probably a few hours of grinding to get enough points to be able to buy the bow skill, so not very long. They're useful in different situations, but a lot of the meta is focused on the bow right now.

And I'm not sure but I think that armor is a high tier set, so will take awhile but it's possible.

Both ranged options are really good when you're supported by a teammate that knows how to peel for you, or you're using spear/pike troops of your own to create a safezone.

Once you unlock musket troops of your own, you can devastate an entire enemy rush if you're positioned and covered well.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lol territory wars cancelled today. I think the devs know their servers will blow apart again

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Looks like we're waiting till saturday bois :v:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

I'm starting to sour on this game due to the power creep of high level players. Despite their attribute points not increasing past 60 the heavily upgraded armor, weapons, and especially high end troops give them a serious advantage. Even with premium in the cash shop casual players do not stand a chance against these guys.

Not sure why they designed in such a crazy grind power creep as it doesn't even help generate revenue. The game currently favors the people who have the most time to blow grinding honor (used to unlock high end troops) and grind currency to upkeep said troops. Getting poo poo on by these players discourages swathes of casual players with disposable income. This happens in a lot of Eastern developed online games for some reason.

Game was fun in beta and launch because the playing field was far more level. The cracks are starting to show.

This is a problem, and it frustrated me also. A level 200 guy just deletes my level 50 guy. The only consolation is killing his absurdly expensive troops with my cheap bois because the costs of mantaining those troops is so incredibly high for the other person.

The power creep could be fixed with better matchmaking for field/siege games, really only give them the big advantage where it counts: field battles.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Despite power creep problems, we have had a lot of success despite powerful troops. I've held down prefecture spearmen with spear militia + longsword heals long enough that friendlies were able to wipe them.

Basically, the game is much less painful if you play with friends + spend time using a single unit in expedition to level up their veterancy. I got spear militia to 12 this way and my merc gunners to 10.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 4, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Perfect opportunity to rip off world of tanks progression and matchmaking and they willfully decided against it.

I never played WoT, but I'm still gonna suggest only playing with friends but it you do queue up solo, you just can't get mad because the battles are just such crapshoots.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The only thing stronger than the grind power imbalance is properly employed rock paper scissors. Seriously, watching my cheap cavalry charge through and kill a line of prefecture guards, swordsmen behind them, and musketmen behind them because the enemy team was too focused on getting ~sick pvp kills~ to notice my guys lining up right in front of them is a great feeling. Same when you hide a line of pikes in a cheap shieldwall and watch armies break on it. When the other team really has all their bases covered AND top tier troops it gets a little stupid but overall I havent been too turned off yet. I think your average player is just too dumb. In the last day I've seen a guy station his horse archers in an city alley with no escape (guess what happened), shield wall dudes holding position just outside the capture point as the enemy team wins, and our team devoting 80% of our forces to defending a certain B point on siege (enduring repeated trebuchet strikes) as the entire enemy army runs past them up to the main capture point.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

dylguy90 posted:

The only thing stronger than the grind power imbalance is properly employed rock paper scissors. Seriously, watching my cheap cavalry charge through and kill a line of prefecture guards, swordsmen behind them, and musketmen behind them because the enemy team was too focused on getting ~sick pvp kills~ to notice my guys lining up right in front of them is a great feeling. Same when you hide a line of pikes in a cheap shieldwall and watch armies break on it. When the other team really has all their bases covered AND top tier troops it gets a little stupid but overall I havent been too turned off yet. I think your average player is just too dumb. In the last day I've seen a guy station his horse archers in an city alley with no escape (guess what happened), shield wall dudes holding position just outside the capture point as the enemy team wins, and our team devoting 80% of our forces to defending a certain B point on siege (enduring repeated trebuchet strikes) as the entire enemy army runs past them up to the main capture point.

I know what map you're talking about on the B point thing -- I can't remember the name but they can run right around you and cap C which is easier to defend anyway.

Also: Crossbows own. I just specced into them because they're available in my region and they wreck stuff, you just have to babysit them a little.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Had a lot of fun last night roaming around like a bandit with another goon. We just took a single unit of cav each which gave us like.. 13 minutes of overland travel and 3.5 speed. You just wait until someone is finished mining or getting horses, whatev and you swoop in take their hard earned resources.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The fastest cavalry unit in the game also has a decent charge when trained up and has a ~80% of being able to solo whatever the enemy fields. Considering the max battle cap is 5 (it is right???) if we roll around with 5 people we can pretty much dunk on anyone, including the larger groups (which consequently is where the real money is).

In terms of raiding, it's easy to solo the smaller guild caravans, they will usually just deploy peasants and might have a random passerby try to help. The bigger groups are all on discord though and will swarm you if you interdict a caravan in their territory. I'm talking ten guys unsuccessful chasing your little cav unit around their territory indefinitely. Those caravans aren't at all used to being raided though and are usually jackpots. So if we get more people on our options for loving with big clans go up exponentially.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Raiding is good and fun. Taking people's stuff and selling them on the market for silver is great. No one knows what to do against multiple units of cav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Glenn Quebec posted:

Raiding is good and fun. Taking people's stuff and selling them on the market for silver is great. No one knows what to do against multiple units of cav.

It was great fighting that guy who brought halberdiers and we charged him from both sides and just obliterated him.

Oh, I have elite scouts now, so +50% charge damage too :cool: