Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How could you not post this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WpleexzYJk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cavauro posted:

with nothing but cold facts, the cold blade of logic, if You will, here are the top supporters of this great endeavor, and thread:

1. sean10mm
2. fartknocker
3. Cavauro
4. Fenrir
5. Kawalimus

Thank you all for loving qbs, and likeing what's going on.

this is slanderous. you shitposted as the first response to this thread so I am claiming your spot at number 3

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For some reason I thought Aaron Brooks was the guy who tried to take a snap from under a guard instead of under center?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Aaron Brooks owns and is basically the only New Orleans Saint I can tolerate :colbert:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

sudo rm -rf posted:

i genuinely can’t wait to see where vick gets placed or how close to perfectly average chris chandler ends up being

I’m just waiting for the part where it’s QBs I know. I know dick all about these oldies/journeymen. Though it is fun to learn about them. I like the added knowledge.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Logicblade posted:

...His career was a very short 7 seasons, but he was the first QB to ever win a post season game for the Saints...

I had no idea it took that long, my stars

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

weird Asian candy posted:

Aaron Brooks owns and is basically the only New Orleans Saint I can tolerate :colbert:

I like him because I remember when he took over when Jeff Blake got injured the first year I watched football. I liked that Saints game against the Rams in the playoffs too. It was nice to see them get their first playoff win the same year my team did. I was sad when they lost to the Vikings in the divisional round. The innocent days of football.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this supposed "poo poo post" was an attempt at inviting and welcoming the thread's original poster using context clues. here's hoping to see Andy DaLton at number 69 or 78 (In reference to gramophone records, 78 refers those meant to be spun at 78 revolutions per minute.)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Brooks had the game of his life against the Panthers in week 17 2004, when Carolina nearly pulled off the greatest season turn around in NFL history.

It ended with John Kasay getting a 65 yard field goal blocked.

Also the Saints don't beat the Rams if Az-Azir Akim (sp?) doesn't muff that punt.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

My dad really hated the Rams that year for some reason. In that year and 2001. But then he loved Kurt Warner after that and seemed to forget all about it. He was like "they called them the sexiest team in this magazine. So they scored 41 points on that bad team, what is that supposed to be sexy?!?!" I think they might have beat the Saints if Az Hakim had held onto the ball but you never know. And it's a close game and those are often decided by late turnovers. But if the Rams did win that game they could have maybe won the SB again. They handled the Giants pretty well in the regular season. Them vs Minnesota in the NFCCG would have been something. Either of them would have been a far less favorable matchup for the Ravens. I don't think we would have beaten either team truthfully.

Then there was this other time at an actual game. This guy in front of us liked the Rams and they showed their score up on the screen. And he was like "alright!! The rams are doing good" then my dad was like "gently caress THE RAMS. IM SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING HOW GREAT THEY ARE" and the guy just was like "oh" and turned around awkwardly.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 20, 2019

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kawalimus posted:

My dad really hated the Rams that year for some reason. In that year and 2001. But then he loved Kurt Warner after that and seemed to forget all about it. He was like "they called them the sexiest team in this magazine. So they scored 41 points on that bad team, what is that supposed to be sexy?!?!" I think they might have beat the Saints if Az Hakim had held onto the ball but you never know. And it's a close game and those are often decided by late turnovers. But if the Rams did win that game they could have maybe won the SB again. They handled the Giants pretty well in the regular season. Them vs Minnesota in the NFCCG would have been something. Either of them would have been a far less favorable matchup for the Ravens. I don't think we would have beaten either team truthfully.

Then there was this other time at an actual game. This guy in front of us liked the Rams and they showed their score up on the screen. And he was like "alright!! The rams are doing good" then my dad was like "gently caress THE RAMS. IM SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING HOW GREAT THEY ARE" and the guy just was like "oh" and turned around awkwardly.

Eh, the Vikings (and really the NFC in general) that year were rear end, and I doubt a team that put up a goose egg against the Giants would have managed much against the 2000 Ravens defense. As for the Rams, they had no goddamn defense whatsoever by this point and the one time they held a team under 20 points they managed to lose anyway. Not to mention, the Mike Martz offense against that team probably would have just gotten Warner killed.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Fenrir posted:

Eh, the Vikings (and really the NFC in general) that year were rear end, and I doubt a team that put up a goose egg against the Giants would have managed much against the 2000 Ravens defense. As for the Rams, they had no goddamn defense whatsoever by this point and the one time they held a team under 20 points they managed to lose anyway. Not to mention, the Mike Martz offense against that team probably would have just gotten Warner killed.

The Ravens weren't built to handle strong passing attacks as well as they were the run. Check their games against the NY Jets and the Jaguars in the week 2 matchup(Jimmy Smith had 291 yards receiving in a single game against them!). Moss and Carter or Bruce+Holt(not to mention Proehl, Faulk and Hakim) could have really messed us up. That's the sort of strong vertical attack the Ravens were able to avoid for most of the 2000 season and especially in the playoffs.

2000 I feel was a down year for the NFL overall in terms of quality teams. Not that I'm complaining.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 20, 2019

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
84. Steve Bartkowski (Atlanta Falcons 1975-1985, Los Angeles Rams 1986)
5th Place Falcons QB
Career Record 59-67-0 (46.83%) 82nd out of 102

Record in Games with Good Defense 45-18-0 (71.43%) 75th out of 102
Record in Games with Bad Defense 14-49-0 (22.22%) 82nd out of 102
Percentage of Games with Good Defense 63/126 (50.00%) 64th (T) out of 102 (-20)

Wins above Average Starter in a 16 Game Season (-0.413)

The man, the myth, the legend. Steve Bartkowski was certainly 1 of these things for Falcons fans in the 70's and 80's. Another first overall pick, which is a common trend at this point, (QB is the position most likely to be taken first overall) he was drafted ahead of hall of famers like Randy White and Walter Payton. Expected to be the saviour of the franchise early on he was.... not to say the least. He suffered a knee injury in his second season (something of a common trend in his long career), and was benched in his third while the Gritz Blitz was doing its thing. It took until his 6th season in 1980 to finally throw for more touchdowns than interceptions, and he actually gave the Falcons a fair shot to win the NFC that year, but when it mattered the most, his defense let him down in his playoff attempt. The Falcons never really had another opportunity to make the postseason, (sneaking into the 16 team race in 1982 at 5-4 but being quickly dispatched by the Vikings), as Bartkowski wasted most of his defense's good years being hurt, or terrible, or out partying. He did get his career together in the second half, but by that time his defense had folded. He had very efficient seasons in his last two years in Atlanta, but went 3-13 in those seasons, ended up being released, and finished his career with the Rams as part of a QB battery with the rookie Jim Everett and the bridge QB Steve Dils (Yes, that was his name).

His defenses were exactly average for his career, but as you can see by this list, he skews below average for long term starters overall. What that means is that typically QB's who have long careers have strong defenses to thank for that. Although that doesn't necessarily mean there is a correlation, but it's something to consider at least. If Bartowski had found his groove earlier in his career, perhaps he would have been a threat for the top 50 on this list, but his skills took a long time to polish and that puts him strictly in the average / below average category he finds himself in now.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Sure let's do a double today.

83. Daunte Culpepper (Minnesota Vikings 1999-2005, Miami Dolphins 2006, Oakland Raiders 2007, Detroit Lions 2008-2009)
8th Place Vikings QB
Career Record 42-58-0 (42.00%) 92nd out of 102

Record in Games with Good Defense 29-11-0 (72.50%) 70th out of 102
Record in Games with Bad Defense 13-47-0 (21.67%) 88th out of 102
Percentage of Games with Good Defense 40/100 (40.00%) 91st out of 102 (+8)

Wins above Average Starter in a 16 Game Season (-0.282)

Who remembers Daunte Culpepper? Dude was going to be the next big thing in Minnesota, he and Randy Moss were going to live the dream and be the next Montana and Rice and that... never happened. Randy Moss still had a hell of a career, but Culpepper's career took a big nosedive post 2004. The Vikings made it to the NFC Championship in his first year starting in 2000, but the team could not repeat that success as Culpepper struggled in 2001 and 2002. He got it together in 2003 and 2004, throwing all over the field, using his legs to extend plays and make plays of his own and nearly had a MVP season in 2004 throwing for 39 TDs, 11 INTs and nearly 5000 yards. If his career continued on that track, he would have been a Vikings legend. Sadly things weren't meant to be. Moss was traded at the end of the 04 season because Joe Buck was disgusted by his mooning celebration, and Culpepper had to operate without the best WR in football. He was interception prone and sack prone in 2005, and halfway through the season he got his knee shredded on a nasty hit, and never was the same dual threat ever again after that hit. The whole love boat scandal happened not soon after, and Culpepper was gone from the Vikings. He ended up becoming a Dolphin, struggling there, getting hurt and getting benched. Then he joined the Raiders after Moss had just left, to be JaMarcus Russell's backup, but once again struggled with injuries and inconsistent play. He joined the Lions after a brief retirement, but just so happened to be one of the guys who helped contribute to the Lions 0-16 campaign before getting hurt once again.

Daunte's tale is one of two different careers, and it's so interesting to see just a dramatic divide between what could have been an all time great, and what ended up being a washed up Qb looking for his last semblance of glory. He's the first QB on this list so far to overachieve compared to his defensive ranking, but his record in either situation with his defense was not impressive and thanks to his prolonged career post 2004, he burned his chance of being considered an above average starter for his career.

Nov 6, 2002

I feel like I've always heard stories that Culpepper sabotaged his career by not rehabbing his leg injury correctly but I've never seen specific proof. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I feel like I've always heard stories that Culpepper sabotaged his career by not rehabbing his leg injury correctly but I've never seen specific proof. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

he sabotaged his career by getting traded to the miami dolphins

Nov 6, 2002

Two similar versions of this story.

quote:

New Minnesota Coach Brad Childress was asked at the league meetings about how concerned he was with Culpepper's knee injury before he was traded. Culpepper chose to rehab in Orlando instead of Minneapolis.

"I'm not a doctor, so as opposed to sending our doctor, I sent our trainer who does rehab guys," he said. "There is a protocol for those ACLs, joint injuries. [Culpepper] thought he was coming along very well. I thought he could have done a better job in Minneapolis, where we could be hands-on every day. . . . You ask, 'Where is he rehabbing?' He's rehabbing in a HealthSouth place in Orlando. I close my eyes, I'm seeing a Chinese restaurant, a HealthSouth place, a laundromat, a strip mall that he's rehabbing himself at."

Childress said that when Vikings trainer Eric Sugarman visited Culpepper in Orlando, Culpepper's therapist asked if Sugarman wanted to see Culpepper "move around."

"And they go into a Wal-Mart parking lot to do his movement. So you can understand where I'm coming from. There's the HealthSouth, the Chinese restaurant, the laundromat, here's the alley, out the back door and into the Wal-Mart parking lot. I'm like, 'What's wrong with this picture?'"

quote:

Childress sent athletic trainer Eric Sugarman to visit Culpepperlast month, and the two met at a HealthSouth clinic near Orlando.According to Childress, the facility was small and its resourceswere vastly inferior to what the Vikings use at Winter Park. “You ask, ‘Where is he rehabbing?'” Childress said. “He’s rehabbing in a HealthSouth place in Orlando. … I’ve spent some time in this state. … I close my eyes. I’m seeing a Chinese restaurant, a HealthSouth place, a laundromat.Basically a strip mall that he’s rehabbing himself at. And I’m thinking, what did they have in there? They had a StepMaster and some other things. In other words, all the modalities we have in our training room, all the different things [he didn’t have]. … I just thought it would be better [to train in Minnesota].”

Childress continued: “I told him, ‘I think you’re doing yourself a disservice. You can do better for yourself than that. He said, ‘I’m good, that’s where I’m doing it.’”

I'm not sure how much of this holds merit versus Childress just being a grumpy rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Also found this story...

quote:

Because he desperately wanted to open the regular season as Miami's starter, Culpepper admitted Wednesday that he stopped some of the preseason rehabilitation drills that were designed to help him return from a major knee injury. Culpepper achieved his goal of playing in the opener against Pittsburgh but now finds himself replaced indefinitely by Joey Harrington entering Sunday's game against the New York Jets.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban said the team's medical and training staff have constructed a program designed to improve Culpepper's "explosive movement." Rather than participate in every facet of Wednesday's practice, Culpepper spent some of the session doing resistance and weight training as well as exercises aimed at bettering his lateral movement.

"When I got here, I was doing my rehab and going through the proper steps," said Culpepper, who was acquired in a March trade with Minnesota. "But when we started practicing as a team, I was feeling so good and everybody saw I was doing good, we didn't take the proper steps. That's my fault as much as anybody because my eagerness to be out there. It didn't turn out the way we wanted, so now we're taking the proper steps to get it right."

But Dolphins coach Nick Saban's inability to identify Culpepper's deficiencies earlier may ultimately cost Miami (1-4) a chance at the playoffs. Culpepper was sacked an NFL-high 21 times while Miami opened 1-3. Even more disturbing was a lack of the mobility that made Culpepper one of the NFL's most dangerous quarterbacks before tearing three knee ligaments last October in a game against Carolina.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 20, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Man I was just talking about one of his teams. Those Vikings were so cool. Too bad for them Robert Smith retired after the 2000 season but good for Smith's health at least. I remember he was one of the ones I was hoping would come in in 2001 after Jamal Lewis went down but he stayed retired.

I would have seen Culpepper live in 2001. They were set to play the Ravens on MNF in week 2. But then 9/11 happened and that whole week got canceled. I did end up going to see the game, but it was the last week of the season and Culpepper was out injured. Moss and Carter still played which was nice but wasnt the same with Spergon Wynn at QB.

Those vikings were neat teams.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I remember when several NFL talking heads named the Dolphins immediate Super Bowl contenders after they signed Culpepper

By like Week 2 of that season he was outplayed by JP Losman of all people

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I was at the game where he tore his ACL. That was also the game Steve Smith ended Fred Smoot's career.

The hit really wasn't that bad. Culpepper was in the open field and did a weird slide as Chris Gamble hit him. I didn't look like a career ender at all. Then Culepper wouldn't get up and out came the cart.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Marcus Mariota and Brad Johnson have thrown touchdown passes to themselves close thread.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Two similar versions of this story.

I'm not sure how much of this holds merit versus Childress just being a grumpy rear end in a top hat.

Holy poo poo, Sugarman has been with the Vikings 13 years. I guess it makes sense a trainer would stay through multiple coaches, it just seems weird to see a current name pop up in a story that old.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ehud posted:

he sabotaged his career by getting traded to the miami dolphins

Players acting as their own agent is real bad.

Also makes me more willing to believe the strip mall ACL rehab stories.

Nov 6, 2002

Some more research indicates that Sugarman had him demonstrate his progress in a Walmart parking lot near whatever health facility he went to. Some random internet posters from that time period dispute Childress' claims that it was a strip mall and claim it was a full blown hospital site with several medical offices/departments.

Some quick google mapping reveals a street with a large hospital on one side, and two small office buildings (I guess they could be called strip malls) and a Walmart on the other. One of the office buildings has a couple of ankle and foot specialists, the other is a Health South office which has a physical therapy place listed. Health South is of course the place that Childress mentioned by name.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5499924,-81.5298386,19.22z

Edit: It looks like Childress exaggerated badly, assuming this is the place.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 20, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Some more research indicates that Sugarman had him demonstrate his progress in a Walmart parking lot near whatever health facility he went to. Some random internet posters from that time period dispute Childress' claims that it was a strip mall and claim it was a full blown hospital site with several medical offices/departments.

Some quick google mapping reveals a street with a large hospital on one side, and two small strip malls and a Walmart on the other. One of the strip malls has a couple of ankle and foot specialists, the other is a Health South office which has a physical therapy place listed. Health South is of course the place that Childress mentioned by name.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5499924,-81.5298386,19.22z

So it looks like while it was technically a strip mall, the part about the laundromat and a Chinese restaurant were an exaggeration, and the office was in something of a medical district.

Could've looked a lot different back then, right? I mean it's possible some of that medical stuff around Health South is new.

I do feel like there's no way a place like that would be better than the team doctors. Then again, the team doctors work for the team, and the team's priorities do not always match up with the player's which is a fact that players are well aware of.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Wasn't there something extra bad about Culpepper's knee tear? Like he tore multiple ligaments at once, like his knee was barely hanging onto the rest of his body?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Logicblade posted:

but when it mattered the most, his defense let him down in his playoff attempt.

He did get his career together in the second half, but by that time his defense had folded.

His defenses were exactly average for his career, but as you can see by this list, he skews below average

A tale as old as time...

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Wasn't there something extra bad about Culpepper's knee tear? Like he tore multiple ligaments at once, like his knee was barely hanging onto the rest of his body?

Pretty sure he tore everything that ended in L

v

lol

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 20, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he tore his anal!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Both things can be true, that Culpepper screwed up his rehab and that Chilldress was an rear end.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I only remembered Viking Culpepper and this remembered him as being pretty good.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I only remembered Viking Culpepper and this remembered him as being pretty good.

Same

I'd forgotten how awful he looked post-injury

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
And Culpepper was the smarter signing at the time between him and Brees lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

nick saban is a stupid rear end in a top hat

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Just as a reminder, Brad Childress is the reason the Vikings didn't keep Randy Moss. The owners nearly fired the coach over it. Randy Moss plus Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson. It was Madden on cheat mode and the coach threw it away.

Nov 6, 2002

Darth Brooks posted:

Just as a reminder, Brad Childress is the reason the Vikings didn't keep Randy Moss. The owners nearly fired the coach over it. Randy Moss plus Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson. It was Madden on cheat mode and the coach threw it away.

Moss and Favre were pretty well cooked by then, it wouldn't have mattered.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I know. But still...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i can feel it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Cash Monet posted:

Marcus Mariota and Brad Johnson have thrown touchdown passes to themselves close thread.

Mariota will never play in enough games to qualify for this advanced stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odovaucer
Oct 23, 2003
Ostrogoth

sean10mm posted:

Vinny Testaverde almost never played with actual wide receivers. He spent long stretches forcing the ball to the likes of Lawrence Dawsey and Michael Jackson and poo poo.

I'm not saying he was a buried superstar or something, but just giving him Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebret made him go :ssj:

Then he just played loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong after his sell-by date lmao

Michael Jackson still holds the Ravens single season records for yards and touchdown catches, and it's not close :(