Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Are you saying we should pay the fees of a murderer who gets convicted thats a bit hosed. Once theyre sitting in the slammer convicted why is it the govts business to pay for their legal fees if theyre convicted guilty

Even the guilty have the right to a criminal defense. The costs of prosecution and receiving a fair defense should not factor into the punishments for crimes, that's absurd. Not to mention absurdly abusable.

Everyone should get a properly funded public defender. The rich shouldn't get special treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The govt should pay legal fees if you are found not guilty.

Or, we could just make lawyers civil servants instead of having different levels of representation based on wealth

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ogmius815 posted:

The answer to the original thread title is a resounding “no,” by the way.

Man you are just chock full of bad opinions

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

should we judge doctors for their patients?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Ogmius815 posted:

The answer to the original thread title is a resounding “no,” by the way.

yeah, its not like the rich can be held accountable for their choices

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

should we judge doctors for their patients?

Here again it is useful to distinguish some doctors from others.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Are you saying we should pay the fees of a murderer who gets convicted thats a bit hosed. Once theyre sitting in the slammer convicted why is it the govts business to pay for their legal fees if theyre convicted guilty

Should the prosecution not got paid if the verdict is not guilty too?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Booourns posted:

Should the prosecution not got paid if the verdict is not guilty too?

Speaking of prosecutors, have we dipped our toes in their morally nebulous pool yet?

Prosecutors have basically chosen the police as their clients, and having the highest conviction rate possible is a career goal.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

RasperFat posted:

Speaking of prosecutors, have we dipped our toes in their morally nebulous pool yet?

Prosecutors have basically chosen the police as their clients, and having the highest conviction rate possible is a career goal.

Which is probably the #1 reason not to get into the habit of shaming criminal defense lawyers for doing their job.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cockmaster posted:

Which is probably the #1 reason not to get into the habit of shaming criminal defense lawyers for doing their job.

CD LAWYERS are saints sent from god himself to protect humans

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cockmaster posted:

I mean so far that's not what's happening, nobody is shaming defense lawyers as a whole

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

You are conflating groups that others are explicitly distinguishing and it seems you might be a bit confused.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

Nobody is doing that because defending any client who walks through the door is not a private attorney's job (it is a public defender's job).

Private attorneys can turn down clients for any reason they wish (short of illegal discrimination under federal law), for example they can turn a client down for something like not having enough money.

If it is cool and good to turn someone down for being poor then clearly we can judge someone who does that by the clients they do choose to represent. E: unless we want to make the argument that being poor is worse than being a rapist

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 10, 2019

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
In Australia, NZ, the UK and some other Commonwealth nations barristers operate under a cab rank rule where they are expected to take work offered to them if in their field of expertise and at usual rates. I don't suppose any US states have something similar for trial attorneys?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Lol Australia has courts? That must be hilarious. Do they dress up in a wig and robes and call each other mate or whatever

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Neurosis posted:

In Australia, NZ, the UK and some other Commonwealth nations barristers operate under a cab rank rule where they are expected to take work offered to them if in their field of expertise and at usual rates. I don't suppose any US states have something similar for trial attorneys?

Sometimes dudes in really out of the way areas get appointed as defense counsel even though they’re previously only done like, divorces and the occasional slip and fall. Those guys tend to suck. But other than that no.

We also don’t have the barrister/solicitor split. Any us layer can appear in court, though many rarely do.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Or, we could just make lawyers civil servants instead of having different levels of representation based on wealth

This is pretty much the crux of the matter.

Edit: actually I would go one step further and say we should be questioning the entire adversarial method of law and order entirely.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

"The government pays if you go free" also seems like the kind of thing that'd have unintended consequences. It's sorta like with healthcare; people will want the most expensive (=and thus presumably best) lawyer because they absolutely do not want to go to jail - and because the lawyer is free if they go free there's nothing stopping them. Except now if you lose you might get saddled with major debt on top of whatever punishment you receive. Like, it basically becomes gambling, with possibly entire families putting their meager possessions on the line in the belief that the aren't actually going to have to pay.

If the lawyers do something nice like waving the fee if they don't win they'll just up the cost to offset it, "greedily sucking up tax payer money while denying the victims justice". It - it doesn't really seem like a program that'd survive long, especially since the rich would benefit far less than everyone else. Yeah, definitely just go for the 'ONLY public defenders for all' option, with major anti-corruption enforcement so rich client don't convince public defenders to spend all their efforts on them while just winging it for the rest. At least that way, the rich have to care that the system is functional, if only because their garbage progeny will definitely need a defense lawyer at some point.

Obviously the next part is dealing with prosecutors (or the prosecution system in general), who people have already pointed out too are at the very least on morally fraught ground. Not sure what the solution is for breaking police-prosecution collusion? Rotating positions? Meaning they're all just public lawyers, who rotate between prosecution and defense? It'd suck for the people who don't want to send people to jail, but it'd help create a divide between cops and prosecutors if the latter was helping "thugs" go free half the time. That's operating within the adversarial system, which as Lightning Knight points out, you don't actually have to.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Calibanibal posted:

Lol Australia has courts? That must be hilarious. Do they dress up in a wig and robes and call each other mate or whatever

Robes in criminal trials and the High Court. Wigs in some states and the High Court but most have abolished them. I don't mind the robes because it makes you feel like a wizard to get up in a robe say a bunch of stuff in Latin then have a person disappear. The correct argot for referring to each other is 'my learned friend' which sounds super passive aggressive no matter how many times you hear it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Calibanibal posted:

That's not a brief, this is a brief

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit: actually I would go one step further and say we should be questioning the entire adversarial method of law and order entirely.

Whoa now next you're going to say our legal system exists to dehumanize and further disenfranchise the poor and that we should change that too

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Whoa now next you're going to say our legal system exists to dehumanize and further disenfranchise the poor and that we should change that too

but... but my law & order reruns... :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

but... but my law & order reruns... :(

We'll keep those

Badum bababada daaaaaaaa

daaaadum

Dun dun dun dun dundunnnnn

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

Honest question- what does a non-adversarial legal system look like without devolving into complete tyranny or mob rule?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MixMastaTJ posted:

Honest question- what does a non-adversarial legal system look like without devolving into complete tyranny or mob rule?

Uh... this isn't like, a hypothetical thing.

https://www.lawteacher.net/free-law-essays/civil-law/some-legal-system-adversarial-and-some-non-adversarial-civil-law-essay.php

Adversarial law is, of course, a product of British colonial expansion. It's not the only law system humans have ever used.

http://www.wupr.org/2014/10/27/when-our-adversarial-justice-system-fails/

I'm not gonna claim to have any kind of authoritative, professional Law Opinions, but "the adversarial system has extreme, core problems" is not some kind of crazy town anarchist take that will lead to Mad Max.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

Uh... this isn't like, a hypothetical thing.

https://www.lawteacher.net/free-law-essays/civil-law/some-legal-system-adversarial-and-some-non-adversarial-civil-law-essay.php

Adversarial law is, of course, a product of British colonial expansion. It's not the only law system humans have ever used.

http://www.wupr.org/2014/10/27/when-our-adversarial-justice-system-fails/

I'm not gonna claim to have any kind of authoritative, professional Law Opinions, but "the adversarial system has extreme, core problems" is not some kind of crazy town anarchist take that will lead to Mad Max.

I don't know as that inquisitorial legal systems really solve the main problems. The only change is that now the judges, a lot of whom already trip on their own power, now get to control criminal investigations and get more evidence that they've already drawn biased conclusions for.

Our legal system is fundamentally hosed up mainly because our focus is on petty revenge and subjugation of the lower class. That's not a philosophical issue with adversarial legal systems rather our specific penal codes.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

MixMastaTJ posted:

Our legal system is fundamentally hosed up mainly because our focus is on petty revenge and subjugation of the lower class. That's not a philosophical issue with adversarial legal systems rather our specific penal codes.

That and the fact that positions of authority in general have virtually always attracted power-hungry psychopaths.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How would you jugde a lawyer that usually takes work from regular middle class people to sue other middle class people. Like someone who is an expert on disputes between neighbours or divorce attorney`s ?
Is that more or less ok?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Baudolino posted:

How would you jugde a lawyer that usually takes work from regular middle class people to sue other middle class people. Like someone who is an expert on disputes between neighbours or divorce attorney`s ?
Is that more or less ok?

They fill a niche. You know civil standbys are a helluva benefit to women divorcing who dont feel comfortble in the presence of their fellow divorcee.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MixMastaTJ posted:

I don't know as that inquisitorial legal systems really solve the main problems. The only change is that now the judges, a lot of whom already trip on their own power, now get to control criminal investigations and get more evidence that they've already drawn biased conclusions for.

Yeah, "let's abolish the adversarial prosecution-defense structure in favor of the judge doing everything and having even more power" is not an obviously superior system.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

Have you never heard of a kangaroo court?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, "let's abolish the adversarial prosecution-defense structure in favor of the judge doing everything and having even more power" is not an obviously superior system.

This was the system in Chile for a long time and (surprise) defendants who weren't connected were generally turbo hosed instead of just regular hosed. Adversarial legalism is probably the best of the worst ways (ie: all the rest of the ways) to conduct criminal trials.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, an inquisitorial system removes the one mechanism we've settled on to restrain the state from illegally gathering evidence, so good luck with that.

Nevvy Z posted:

Even the guilty have the right to a criminal defense. The costs of prosecution and receiving a fair defense should not factor into the punishments for crimes, that's absurd. Not to mention absurdly abusable.

Everyone should get a properly funded public defender. The rich shouldn't get special treatment.
Do you think that the government prosecuting you also being allowed to choose who defends you might present some problems or conflicts of interest?

VitalSigns posted:

Nobody is doing that because defending any client who walks through the door is not a private attorney's job (it is a public defender's job).

Private attorneys can turn down clients for any reason they wish (short of illegal discrimination under federal law), for example they can turn a client down for something like not having enough money.

If it is cool and good to turn someone down for being poor then clearly we can judge someone who does that by the clients they do choose to represent. E: unless we want to make the argument that being poor is worse than being a rapist
I'm not really clear on what your overarching philosophy is here. Are people above a certain income bracket not entitled to a presumption of innocence? Because "lawyers who defend rich people are scum, but PDs are saints" seems to assume that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not really clear on what your overarching philosophy is here. Are people above a certain income bracket not entitled to a presumption of innocence? Because "lawyers who defend rich people are scum, but PDs are saints" seems to assume that.

Yes they are entitled to a legal presumption of innocence, but I don't see how not getting an expensive attorney denies them that. Unless your argument is that being unable to afford an attorney equals a presumption of guilt. There is a colorable argument that this is how our legal system indeed functions, but that is not an argument for a system of special treatment for the rich. (Well not to me, your philosophy is obviously different, since I have yet to see an extrajudicial execution that you won't defend by presuming that the victim must have been guilty of something)

Thinking about this more, you might be confused about the difference between a legal presumption of innocence in a courtroom, and social consequences for one's actions. If a bunch of altar boys report that a priest is raping them he is entitled to a legal presumption of innocence but that does not mean we send those boys back into his care unless and until he's charged and convicted (tbf the Catholic Church does disagree with me on this point and is in fact very interested in a having system that protects abusers)

Dead Reckoning posted:

Do you think that the government prosecuting you also being allowed to choose who defends you might present some problems or conflicts of interest?

Since that has how the public defender system works, this would be an argument for requiring any defense lawyer to defend any client who walks in their door, for free or for a standard fee paid by the government. It certainly isn't an argument for allowing only the rich to choose who defends them.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 11, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

If that was what anyone was suggesting it might be a problem but it seems to be something you made up based on your not understanding or on a desire to invent problems.

"If i just call it all 'the government' then everyone forgets that it is made up of entities that are often completely separated."

VitalSigns posted:

Thinking about this more, you might be confused about the difference between a legal presumption of innocence in a courtroom, and social consequences for one's actions

I dunno about you but I'm getting real tired of people who are always "confused but making the worst possible assumptions" as it seems to be the same people over and over and they often seem confused about the same things again and again.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 11, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

If that was what anyone was suggesting it might be a problem but it seems to be something you made up based on your not understanding or on a desire to invent problems.

"If i just call it all 'the government' then everyone forgets that it is made up of entities that are often completely separated."

I dunno about you but I'm getting real tired of people who are always "confused but making the worst possible assumptions" as it seems to be the same people over and over and they often seem confused about the same things again and again.
Your suggestion was light on details, so you can't really criticize people for making assumptions about how it would work in practice. If everyone gets a public defender, how are they assigned? Does the defendant have any choice about who represents them? What happens when the number of cases exceeds local or global capacity? Can a person pay for other aspects of their legal defense, like specialists or experts to advise their appointed attorney?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Your suggestion was light on details, so you can't really criticize people for making assumptions about how it would work in practice. If everyone gets a public defender, how are they assigned? Does the defendant have any choice about who represents them? What happens when the number of cases exceeds local or global capacity? Can a person pay for other aspects of their legal defense, like specialists or experts to advise their appointed attorney?

Are you ok with how the public defender system works now? If so, then what's the problem.

Are you ok with people being denied specialists or experts if they can't pay? If so, then what's the problem.

There's a fundamental contradiction in your argument, you can't both argue that private representation and expert advice is a basic legal right without which a fair trial is impossible, and then also be okay with denying that right based on wealth. That makes no sense.

I mean you can argue that, you just have to be okay with the only resolution to that contradiction which is that poor people have no right to a fair trial.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They fill a niche. You know civil standbys are a helluva benefit to women divorcing who dont feel comfortble in the presence of their fellow divorcee.

But sometimes they help a vindictive and abusive husband gently caress over their terrified ex-wifes. So it`s impossible to say generally that divorce lawyers are good or bad.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Baudolino posted:

But sometimes they help a vindictive and abusive husband gently caress over their terrified ex-wifes. So it`s impossible to say generally that divorce lawyers are good or bad.

Or maybe they aren’t either good or bad because lawyers are not responsible for what their clients do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Won't someone think of the poor oppressed lawyers.