Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Yea, private practice of law creates some perverse incentives that ripple throughout a society and that combined with the very existence of a professional legal class erodes equality. Lawyers should be civil servants. But that's an old rant.

A more interesting question I think is if the university has an obligation to the public in regards to who it gives a platform to by way of its law school and faculty. These positions, particularly ones at Ivies like Harvard, wield enormous influence on American society. To the point that influence is bought.

For whatever small amount it is worth - I think they do, and it's a unique one relative to other parts of a university. Academic freedom doesn't really make sense in law - there's no inquiry, it's inherently political, and I don't know of a nest of radical law professors at ivies being protected by it. It mostly seems like an excuse to hire conservatives and let shitbags like this be important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Poorer people have to use the public defender system, which is then ludicrously underfunded, because it's only used by poorer people. I don't know if I'd call it a kangaroo court, but I'd be amenable to the argument.

Lawyers in private practice don't really factor in here duder. Like you're concerned about the chilling impact on a handful of pro-bono cases a year.