Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also Sullivan was "fired" from having a free apartment and hosting a fancy party once a year. He's still a professor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You don't make exceptions for due process and part of due process is getting to have a lawyer present. Defense lawyers also aren't 100% about trying to get the person cleared of charges; part of it is ensuring that the prosecution does their job properly and that the sentencing is actually fair if there's a guilty charge. Even in cases where the person is blatantly guilty as hell there should still be a defense lawyer present as prosecutors are still human. Bad poo poo is pretty much guaranteed to start happening when you start making exceptions on due process.

Mild social disapproval is not creating an exception to due process.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So while I am wrong about the paid per case thing you nasically justigied everything else. O you really want to be case no 299 with no incentive for them to give you proper counsel? Your case is going to be a thought between an $1300 paychecm and a steele reserve.

When i was under caution for extortion the first thing they tried to do was throw a public defender my way. gently caress that i dropped a 30 to retain a cd lawyer. 3 weeks later dismissed 100%.

Wow it’s almost like public defenders should be paid better