Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This isn't even an argument about whether all people deserve legal representation (they do) - this is an argument about how capitalism perverts the functioning of the justice system. Obviously rich people getting better outcomes on average than the norm isn't a desired outcome but that's not really the fault of the lawyers. Yeah there are individual scummy lawyers who love to defend rich scumbags for $$$ (and sure they should get some disdain probably) but the bigger issue is the system that allows this to happen.

Are we also going to blame doctors for doing medical procedures on rich people? After all I'm sure Bezos can afford better surgeons and oncologists than I can. The problem there isn't the doctors, the problem is a lovely market healthcare system in which rich people are catered to at everyone else's expense.

BTW a lot of lawyers do pro bono work, just to throw that into the conversation.

wateroverfire posted:

He's an exemplary defense attorney who has worked for rich and poor clients alike.

And in fact a lot of the time lawyers charge rich people exorbitantly so they can afford to take on more of the latter type of client. *shrug*

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

I think that everyone who participates in and profits from this system is bad

Posted from a device made with literal child slave labor. :v:

quote:

I think that everyone who participates in and profits from this system is bad (with allowances for special circumstances, etc, under which I might not judge every single individual as bad).

but more seriously; your position is that all lawyers are bad, minus mitigating circumstances for various individuals?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But you use the device so either you are a hypocrite who continues to do bad things knowing they are bad while telling others to not do those things or you recognize that the overarching system doesn't really give you much choice in the matter and degrees of culpability exist.

Like are lawyers the coltan mine operators in this comparison? Doesn't really seem that way but that's just me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're the one saying all actors in the justice system are necessarily bad. So it'd be you telling Lincoln he talks a good game but nonetheless participates in a lovely system, no?

Am I misreading something? That's why I asked: is it your position that all lawyers are fundamentally bad, minus mitigating circumstances for some individuals? If so what criteria do you have for those mitigating circumstances?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 16, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
K well despite the snarkiness lol it seems yeah I misread a bit. Coulda just said "no that's not what I meant" in the first place when I asked :jerkbag: