Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

VitalSigns posted:

This conversation is odd.

Yesterday yall were arguing that if Weinstein lost his lawyer because Harvard students called him names, and then no other lawyer would touch him and Weinstein had to petition a PD to be appointed, that this trial defense would be so outrageously bad thanks to our inadequate public system that he may as well be convicted without trial.

But now thanks to blarzgh coming in, yall have turned on a dime and are insisting PDs are better than the fanciest legal team money can buy (at least in terms of outcomes), that it's better to be too poor than too rich and so :actually: shaming Weinstein out of private counsel would be good for him because he'd get a more effective PD.

It's like yall realized finally that your first argument was inadvertently making the case for a well-funded public system to make PDs equal to private lawyers and give them to everyone, so now you're contradicting yourselves and making the opposite claim, not realizing that your new argument is also inadvertently making the case for a well-funded public system to give PDs to everyone.

If Weinstein's private lawyer is actually inferior to a PD, and Weinstein will get an unjustly harsher sentence as a result of his wealth preventing him from getting a PD, then holy poo poo that's terrible and we should fund enough PDs to give him one too.

I don't know man, I think you've lost the plot completely and aren't even making a point anymore in your last rambling ten posts. Good thing blarzgh set you straight.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Here is the real truth: the justice system only benefits the rich and powerful. Source: I'm a lawyer for the poor, formerly, and for the rich and powerful, currently.

Meanwhile I'm just sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn and lmao at this entire thread.

To the OP's initial premise and question: No, based on the universal principle of non-identification, it is a fundamental tenet of a justice system that lawyers are not judged for their clients. They are not identified with them personally, professionally, monetarily or romantically and there's a million rules in place to prevent all that, because we want to preserve the absolute independence of counsel. If anyone has a problem with that, take it up with the last 1500 years of developing jurisprudence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

twodot posted:

Too bad? It's not any sort of argument to say "A long time ago someone said not to do that". I'm going to do it anyways, if you want to argue it's bad you need to point at some sort of harm I'm causing and not the fact that lawyers managed to form a guild that decided lawyers are immune from judgment.
edit:

I don't need to do anything of the sort. I said it is a fundamental tenet of a justice system, and as such it is extremely easy to read up about. I don't think I'm obligated to even attempt to condense it all down to several pages of post on the off chance you'll actually accept anything I write in good faith (which you won't, because let's face it you're not gonna), when really the onus is on you to go out and pick up a book. The question the OP posed has an answer.

twodot posted:

No one is being denied representation, so I have no idea what people keep repeating "Everyone deserves representation", a fact that everyone agrees with. Why is it short sighted? What long term goal am I sacrificing? Why is it immoral, what harm am I personally causing? I don't really care to contest if it's childish.

As far as I can gather the point of the lawyer shamers itt, that is exactly the consequence of your view that blarzgh is talking about. I don't think he needs to repeat himself any further, because he's absolutely correct.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

twodot posted:

You think the proper remedy to a person who can't find private representation is to hold them in contempt indefinitely until they manage to find another monster that wants to be employed by a monster? Ok cool.

No, HA doesn't. Didn't say so either.

I guess you're pretty much conceding every position or idea you've posted about for your last 50 posts itt by virtue of being reduced to counterfactually misrepresenting the positions of the posters who have engaged with you. I won't, you're just a nutcase and your position is worthless to the topic of the thread. I can't understand why anyone would spend time on you.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

That's amazing. Can't wait for the "so what your position is is that rape of underage baby seals is okay and that's something I a virtuous and good debater oppose".

Should be any minute now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)