Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ogmius815 posted:

Ahh yes, the well known public defender to lucrative big law attorney career track.

Oh wait that never ever happens and almost everyone willing to take on the hellish life of a public defender does so because he or she is a goddamn saint.

Public defenders are heroes and gently caress anyone who says otherwise.
Ahahahhha what the gently caress really

Did you just watch the lincoln lawyer an hr ago or something?public defenders are loving garbagemen with suits. The fster they get to the next case the faster the cash rolls in. Get a lawyer dont rely on a shittier public defender to try to get out of pissing in a public park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Most people can't afford lawyers

The bail system is massive problem. Paying for a lawyer is much easier when you arent sitting in jail not producing a paycheck

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s clear to me now that you don’t have the first clue what you are on about.

Full time PDs are paid terrible salaries. Often much less than what is typical for a college graduate who did not attend law school. They don’t get paid per case, and they work for organizations like the Legal Aid Society that are not for profit, so there is no profit motive. They do a ton of cases not because that makes the “cash roll in”, but because there aren’t enough of them and so they have to do three, four, or even five hundred cases a year in many places. If that sounds loving miserable to you, I assure you there is a reason.

Supplementing the full time PDs, many places also employ garbage lawyers who do get paid by case. These are bottom of the barrel lawyers who suck and couldn’t find any other work, but they aren’t PDs and if PD organizations were funded properly there wouldn’t be any need for such people.

Also, research on PDs indicates that they are, in general, very good at their jobs. Significantly better results are typically found with full time PDs than with any other system for indigent counsel.

So while I am wrong about the paid per case thing you basically justified everything else. O you really want to be case no 299 with no incentive for them to give you proper counsel? Your case is going to be a thought between an $1300 paychecm and a steele reserve.

When i was under caution for extortion the first thing they tried to do was throw a public defender my way. gently caress that i dropped a 30 to retain a cd lawyer. 3 weeks later dismissed 100%.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 9, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No I want public defenders to be well funded so that that isn't a problem, because people shouldn't get better odds at avoiding our nightmarish justice system if they're rich

The govt should pay legal fees if you are found not guilty.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nevvy Z posted:

FTFY. it's not like guilt is the only thing to consider. Which is what he wants too essentially, so what are you even arguing?

Are you saying we should pay the fees of a murderer who gets convicted thats a bit hosed. Once theyre sitting in the slammer convicted why is it the govts business to pay for their legal fees if theyre convicted guilty

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cockmaster posted:

Which is probably the #1 reason not to get into the habit of shaming criminal defense lawyers for doing their job.

CD LAWYERS are saints sent from god himself to protect humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Baudolino posted:

How would you jugde a lawyer that usually takes work from regular middle class people to sue other middle class people. Like someone who is an expert on disputes between neighbours or divorce attorney`s ?
Is that more or less ok?

They fill a niche. You know civil standbys are a helluva benefit to women divorcing who dont feel comfortble in the presence of their fellow divorcee.