Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually it kind of is. If you can swing public opinion heavily against somebody because they defended a bad person then you end up with public optics being part of the consideration to defend somebody.
If you are a private lawyer then public optics should be part of your calculation. Everyone deserves to eat, but if you decide to sign up to be Harvey Weinstein's personal private chef, I'm allowed to think you're a dirt bag. If Weinstein shows up to court and says "I'm such a horrible monster, I'm unable to find representation" then the court can appoint someone to defend him, and due process has suffered no harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

So after multiple people distinguishing between privately hired lawyers and court appointed lawyers, you're just going to pretend that court appointed lawyers don't exist?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People not having access to private lawyers is not an argument against a system being not a kangaroo court!

Also is the concept is that someone who defends pedophiles and rapists in court is as bad as a pedophile or rapist then why are public defenders immune? They took the job knowing they'd be defending pedophiles too.
Because they took a job believing in a system that relies on everyone having zealous and competent representation instead of taking a job that allows them to make as much money as possible. The distinction between a civil servant and a person seeking to maximize their wealth should be obvious.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Randler posted:

Why shouldn't public defenders be subject to those same criticisms? The public defenders also had a choice. They deliberately chose to work a role in the legal ecosystem that includes* the defense of people, who are so reprehensible, that other lawyers won't defend them. Personally, I feel those choices are similar enough that they should both be receive the same feedback on their defense.

* The fact that role also includes the defense of those who are too poor for other defense and thus get hosed the hardest doesn't change that. For me those two facets should be considered separately.
The distinction between a person working in a publicly provided service that society has decided everyone needs and a freelance person picking and choosing clients to maximize their wealth should be incredibly obvious.
edit:
Like if this person was hired on to Weinstein's personal fire suppression team would you be in here saying "Being on Weinstein's personal fire suppression team is really no different than being a fire fighter who has to put out everyone's fires"?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Or maybe they aren’t either good or bad because lawyers are not responsible for what their clients do.
Lawyers that have the ability to pick and choose their clients are responsible for how they pick and choose clients. If a professional picks and chooses horrible monsters to pay them for their services, I will always hold them accountable for that. You can choose otherwise, but you can't ignore the lawyer is making choices here.

Dead Reckoning posted:

If a rapist gets the charges gains him dismissed, because his lawyer gets the overwhelming physical evidence against him thrown out, because the police gathered the evidence in the course of an illegal, warrantless search, is this a Good thing, or a Bad thing? Does it matter whether the lawyer was a PD, Pro Bono, or paid?
Uh it is bad that the police behaved so illegally that they managed to let a rapist get the charges dismissed. Like I hope we all agree that is bad that the police perform illegal searches, and they should not do that. If the lawyer decided to defended the rapist because they think rapists are rad, that would be bad, but within your hypothetical we're just speculating as to the lawyer's motivations.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

If the lawyer decided to defend a rapist because even rapists are entitled to a defense, would that be good?
Such a lawyer would be a public defender, so, as I have very consistently been saying, public defenders are good and we should keep them around.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

"Every client deserves a defense and I like getting paid" seems a consistent set of motivations. It may be mercenary but it's not unethical.
If you refuse to defend a client that can't pay you, then you plainly don't believe everyone deserves your defense. You are picking and choosing who gets your defense, and your choices can, should, and will reflect on you personally.
edit:

wateroverfire posted:

Should lawyers NOT want to get paid? Should doctors? Should everyone?
Quick question, do you believe public defenders are paid?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is it immoral to choose the defendant who can pay over the defendant who cannot if they are equally deserving of a defense?
Oh cool, I've been deemed the arbiter of morality. Yes. Next?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

In any field there are always so many more clients who can't pay than clients who can. =(
There aren't a lot of fields where there is a dedicated system that pays people to make sure that everyone has access to that field's service at no cost to the client, and then an extra bonus system only rich people can afford. If you are a lawyer to ensure everyone has a defense, then you are a public defender, because that is what they do.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cause I said so, you deemed me the arbiter of morality, why do you need more than my word? If I'm not the arbiter of morality, if you can imagine I could possibly be wrong, you would answer your own moral questions and construct your own moral arguments, but there is no need for that because my word is (moral) law.
edit:

Ogmius815 posted:

But because not everyone in the country agrees with your standards of behavior, that’s going to make it harder for some people you probably do like to get fair legal representation.
This can only be true if you also agree that poor people are fundamentally unable to get fair legal representation in the current system, in which case I don't much care about degrading the ability of rich people to get fair legal representation.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 11, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

That’s an official doctrine of legal ethics, by the way.
There is not.

quote:

Lawyers are not morally responsible for the positions they take on behalf of their clients.
You keep conflating "choosing to represent a client" and "the things they do while representing a client". Also there are a lot of positions a lawyer could be morally responsible for, see: anything frivolous.

quote:

That reason is that we want people who society disapproves of to be able to obtain legal representation.
We all want this. Not a single person in this thread has ever argued bad people should not be able to obtain legal representation.
edit:

Ogmius815 posted:

No not really. Because the context of this remark is about divorce attorneys (the poster up thread said that divorce attorneys who represent abusive husbands are bad). Nobody gets a free divorce attorney just because they’re poor. You ether pay for one or you don’t get one.

The quote about rich people is very telling here, by the way. It’s very clear don’t actually care about due process. You just want to hurt the people you don’t like. I understand. That’s a very common human moral failing.
Sorry I lost the thread, assume all of my comments are about criminal defense. Civil law is trickier.

Eh, actually I think the argument still works. If being a horrible monsters make it hard to find an attorney, and not having money makes it hard to find an attorney, then I'm basically always much more interested in fixing the "not having money makes it hard to find an attorney" first and we can let the horrible monsters participate in whatever system we have for people with no money. If that system is "welp you don't get to have an attorney", then I'm unclear why I'm supposed to care that this system is being applied to horrible monsters and poor people.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 11, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Then you’re missing my point, which is that if we make the rule that a lawyer should face social opprobrium for representing clients that society finds to be nasty, it will be harder for all of society’s outsiders to obtain good representation.
This was a late edit so I will repost this:

twodot posted:

Eh, actually I think the argument still works. If being a horrible monsters make it hard to find an attorney, and not having money makes it hard to find an attorney, then I'm basically always much more interested in fixing the "not having money makes it hard to find an attorney" first and we can let the horrible monsters participate in whatever system we have for people with no money. If that system is "welp you don't get to have an attorney", then I'm unclear why I'm supposed to care that this system is being applied to horrible monsters and poor people.
You are either comfortable with the ability of people with no money to obtain good representation in which case I propose outsiders can use that system and still obtain good representation. Or you are not comfortable with that in which case we clearly need to fix the ability of people with no money to obtain good representation and worry about horrible monsters with money later.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I don’t know if that’s a good idea or not. I note, however, that it’s actually something of a leap from “no lawyer should face social condemnation because he represented a misbehaving client in an ugly case” to “no lawyer should ever have to opportunity to turn down any client”.

How would you enforce that? Is there no room for specialization? Can I make Davis Polk represent me when I slip on pee pee at the megalomart? Can I make those Pacific Legal guys represent me in my pro-LGBT Title VII test case?
Is your imagination so limited? Lawyers have to register to do their job, you just make the registering body responsible for handing out assignments with an appeals process. Like public defenders manage to exist somehow, I'll admit ignorance to how specifically they are assigned cases, but there is clearly prior art out there.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

But whatever, let’s assume it would work. Fine. Done. In the absence of such a system (since it doesn’t exist today, won’t exist next year, and almost definitely won’t exist next decade either and we have to deal with reality) surely you can see the point that as things stand today, running lawyers out on a rail because they represented “bad” clients is just going to make attorneys think twice before they take on clients that society thinks are “bad”, some of whom are worthy of protection?

twodot posted:

You are either comfortable with the ability of people with no money to obtain good representation in which case I propose outsiders can use that system and still obtain good representation. Or you are not comfortable with that in which case we clearly need to fix the ability of people with no money to obtain good representation and worry about horrible monsters with money later.
Also very much lol at "some of whom are worthy of protection". You dropped the act too early.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I absolutely and completely agree that we need to do more to help people get affordable quality legal representation. My entire point is that the practice of punishing a lawyer socially because you don’t like his client will only exacerbate this problem.
It is worth the cost. And if rich horrible monsters find their circumstances so dire that their situation is approximately equal to a poor person, perhaps they can work to reform the system so that everyone has good representation regardless of access to wealth.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s interesting to note the set of priorities that’s clear from this post. It’s fine to make it harder for poor and vulnerable people to obtain legal representation if we can just stick it to rich people and their lawyers a bit. I don’t agree at all and I’m sure glad you aren’t in charge of anything.
Calling Weinstein's lawyers dirtbags does literally no harm to anyone poor or vulnerable. Hope that helps. It arguably makes it harder for Weinstein to find a lawyer, but I don't really give a poo poo about that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

You’ve stopped bothering to engage with my point.

I really love this discussion because it illustrates more broadly the general imperative at work in D&D right now, which is that the most important part of morality is pointing the a finger at bad people and condemning them. It doesn’t matter if the condemnation will make things better or worse for anyone, the point is just to be maximally self righteous all the time. I think it’s becoming gross and toxic.
Connect the dots of "A bunch of people agree Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags" to "a single poor or vulnerable person is harmed".

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Schubalts posted:

The point is that "punish a lawyer because ~the community~ doesn't like their clients" doesn't apply only to rich people's lawyers.
Everyone has already agreed that public defenders get an exception.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Public defenders aren't the only lawyers who will represent poor people and minorities (ethnic, sexual, etc).
If there's more exceptions we need to add, I'm open to that. It's not going to stop Weinstein's lawyers from being dirtbags.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Let’s say that ten minutes after the end of Philadelphia Denzel goes to his church. At the risk of buying into a dangerous stereotype, let’s say this church’s congregation doesn’t like gay people very much and isn’t very concerned about protecting the rights of people with AIDS (it is the ‘80s after all). So now Denzel’s pastor confronts him for representing that gay AIDS patient (Hanks) in his employment discrimination suit against his old law firm alleging that they fired him because he had AIDS.

This thread wants a lawyer to have a moral obligation to be answerable for his client’s deeds and legal positions. Under this framework, Denzel has no good defense. If he can’t convince his pastor overnight that it’s okay to be gay and AIDS patients deserve legal protection (something that probably will take he community about three more decades to accept and WHICH HE HIMSELF IS NOT ENTIRELY CONVINCED OF AT THE END OF THE MOVIE) he will have to accept that, in the eyes of the congregation, he did a moral wrong and made the world worse with his legal advocacy by making it harder to discriminate against gay people with AIDS. Moreover, Denzel knows that and will be less likely to take the case. If there were a strong presumption that a lawyer need not answer for his client’s inckiness to the community, this isn’t a problem.
How is not calling Weinstein's lawyers dirtbags going to sway the community they should ignore Denzel's actions? Have we negotiated an agreement that I agree not to hate on lawyers of rich horrible monsters and they agree not to hate on the lawyers of gay people? And if they see me posting "Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags" they are suddenly going to change their mind about Denzel? Hating on the lawyers of gay people is bad because hating on gay people is bad, not because lawyers are immune to moral analysis.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean, presumably we’re trying to decide which rule is best, the rule that lawyers should be judged for their clients, or the rule that they should not be. Denzel is in a better position under the second rule, so I argue it is better in this case.
My rule is "lawyers should be judged for the clients they pick and also people shouldn't hate on gay people" which seems to make everyone better off.
edit:
Like if I say "People should be judged by their actions" it is not a valid counter argument to say "Under that rule some people will judge gay people as bad". Obviously I'm imagining a specific set of actions that are judgment worthy.

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 11, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Okay, but this leaves you with no good response when people start condemning lawyers who defend clients they think are icky but who you want to protect. You might say those people are wrong, but that won’t matter to the lawyers in their community, who have to live and make their reputations by the standards of their community, not twodot’s master moral codex that is always right.

If, on the other hand, everyone follows he moral rule I prefer, there will be no problem. Except of course, for the problem that it’ll be harder for Twitter mobs and self righteous teenagers to get people fired. What a shame.
If everyone follows my master moral codex then I'm happy and I don't really give a poo poo the bigots got brainwashed. You are correctly pointing out I can't convince everyone to do what I want, but that applies equally to you as to me. Not everyone will follow the rule you prefer. Behold! Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags. Now given we both understand we can't convince everyone to do what we want, explain to me how me saying Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags causes an ounce of harm to any vulnerable or poor person.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

So trying to make rules for ethics is pointless because not everyone will follow them. Hmm.
You are the one who offered that your rule requires 100% participation:

Ogmius815 posted:

If, on the other hand, everyone follows he moral rule I prefer, there will be no problem. Except of course, for the problem that it’ll be harder for Twitter mobs and self righteous teenagers to get people fired. What a shame.
If we're playing god and we get to make everyone follow the rules I prefer, I can come up with way better rules than "Ignore how lawyers pick and choose their clients".

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm still not clear whether you're arguing from an outcomes based ethics, or an intentions based one.
Well it could not possibly be an intentions based one because you did not tell me the intentions of your hypothetical lawyer, rapist, or police officers.

quote:

Except that exception makes no sense. If you're arguing from an outcomes based perspective, whether the lawyer is pro bono or paid makes no difference as to whether a dirt bag gets off, and if you're arguing from an intent perspective, getting paid for your work doesn't inherently corrupt your good intent.
Judge how lawyers choose their clients. Public defenders do not choose their clients and therefore do not have a choice to judge beyond "be a public defender" which is justified by being net-beneficial even if does have bad outcomes sometimes.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

But surely if a defendant was so repulsive and obviously guilty that anyone assisting in their defense deserves to be a social pariah, any PD assigned to the case ought to refuse to participate as a matter of principle, since the result would be a dirt bag evading justice.

If the outcome you are trying to avoid by shaming lawyers who defend dirt bags is "dirt bags getting away with crimes", then there is no reason to spare PDs, who chose to become PDs in the full knowledge that they would be called upon from time to time to defend dirt bags.
No because as a matter of principle, the public defender and by extension the society that created the job of public defender thinks everyone needs a defense for our court system to work.

quote:

I feel like the argument you're really making is that it is unfair that the poor have to resort to overworked PDs, while the rich can afford to hire fancy criminal lawyers, but you don't want to contend with all the problems that abolishing the private practice of criminal law would cause.
Abolishment of private practice of criminal law is fine by me. Just not a necessary component to argue that Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

So why is it bad if people get paid to provide that defense? What is the principle at stake here? What bad outcome are you trying to avoid by people choosing to represent Harvey Weinstein instead of being forced to do it or lose their jobs?
Horrible monsters should not be allowed to use their wealth to get rewards, and the way we do that is by not offering horrible monsters rewards in exchange for their wealth. If you break ranks with us on that because you want wealth, you are a bad person (assuming no weirdo scenarios where Weinstein ends up hiring some out of work, starving on the streets lawyer).

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

you will have to convince the community at large that your exact sense of morality is correct in a particular situation. That is a monumentally more difficult task than simply convincing them of a principle which is already a fundamental and widely acknowledge principle of legal ethics which is that a lawyer is not morally responsible for his clients and the positions he takes on their behalf.
This is not a monumentally more difficult task because I have already demonstrated that your task is impossible. Behold! Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags. You are plainly not able to convince people of your position or this thread wouldn't even exist. if you were able to convince people of this, I don't see how "also gay people aren't bad" isn't also achievable.
edit:
Also we should be pushing the "gay people aren't bad" agenda anyways. If your response is "What if assholes weaponize parts of your moral systems?" the answer is "We should teach them not to be assholes"

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 12, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

The whole point of societal ethics is to create a system of behavior that, when people follow it, produces acceptable outcomes even if the various parties don't agree on what "good" is. "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law" and all that. You and VitalSigns seem to think that there is no point in behaving ethically if other people don't, which defeats the whole idea of having ethics in the first place.
No that's loving dumb, I'm perfectly happy to make my moral system a universal law if it were possible, because if we could make universal laws then various parties would always agree on what good is. Like people say "Don't vote PSL, because if everyone voted PSL, the Republicans would win", but that's not correct, if everyone voted PSL, PSL would win.
edit:
Also "acceptable outcomes", I've got bad news for you there is no alternate reality you can nope out to if you don't accept outcomes. Outcomes just loving happen, your only choice is sort them into good and bad and react accordingly.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 12, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

You've missed the whole point. Before doing or suggesting something, you should stop and think, "if everyone acted in this way, would I find the outcome acceptable?" So the calculus is "if everyone tried to pressure lawyers into avoiding clients they disapproved of, how would that go?" not "If everyone shamed the lawyers I think are Bad, then that would obviously be Good, because my opinions on right and wrong are objectively correct and ought to be universal."

E: It would explain a lot if you see ordered societies as just an inexplicable and incomprehensible series of phenomena that you can only react to emotionally as they affect you.
No, I've not missed it, I told you it was stupid. Take lawyers out of the equation "if everyone tried to pressure others into avoiding actions they disapproved of, how would that go?". Under that rule, people who want bad things would pressure people to do bad things, and people who want good things would pressure people to do good things, and really it's a mixed bag. Except there is no drat reason to stop there, because, get this, we can use pressure and rhetoric and other tools to make people want good things! AND if were in a situation where universalizing is anything more than a thought exercise, it seems like we would have a really good chance at doing that! If you're convinced that people want bad things AND convincing them otherwise is impossible, I have no clue how you plan to convince them to ignore lawyers acting in ways they don't like.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

And tearing down the criminal defense bar is supposed to make things better? How asinine. Maybe give public defender services the resources and staff they need to give their clients the zealous advocacy they deserve. Maybe give people in administrative and civil proceedings a right to court-appointed counsel.
These do not appear to be mutually exclusive goals, so let's just do all of this?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The final and absolute worst of your mistakes is that political power comes from the top down, when in reality it comes from the bottom up. We don't need to threaten rich people into reforming mass incarceration by trying to threaten them with it themselves. At that point, we can just abolish it for everyone.
Even if this is true, aren't you just arguing that if judging lawyers for their clients did anything we'd be able to do the revolution, and since we aren't judging lawyers for their clients doesn't actually do anything, in which case why spending any time caring about the fact that I'm saying "Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags"? Describe to us the actual practical impact of saying "Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags" and then why we should care about it.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

even the best prosecutor is more of a scumbag than the worst defense attorney, because their client is the united states, which is much worse than nasty harvey
Prosecutors are also dirtbags, there is more than one dirtbag on this Earth. Now:

twodot posted:

Even if this is true, aren't you just arguing that if judging lawyers for their clients did anything we'd be able to do the revolution, and since we aren't judging lawyers for their clients doesn't actually do anything, in which case why spending any time caring about the fact that I'm saying "Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags"? Describe to us the actual practical impact of saying "Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags" and then why we should care about it.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

arguing that criminal defense attorneys are scumbags for representing criminals directly contributes to the reactionary dirty harry law and order ideology.
Is there evidence for this? Like I agree that Dirty Harry is a bad fictional character, but I'm missing the connection between me thinking specific lawyers are bad people and Dirty Harry literally jumping out of a film reel and gunning people down.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Its a fun hypothetical, but a functional impossibility. There are tens of thousands of private criminal defense attorneys in every state, and so far society hasn't succeeded yet in shaming them all into refusing to represent people who are likely guilty.
If shaming rich people's lawyers can functionally never adversely affect them, then I'm missing what is bad about shaming lawyers of rich horrible monsters. Like presumably people who think shaming the lawyers of rich horrible monsters is bad think it is bad for a reason and I'm not grasping it.
edit:
To be clear when I say Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags, I am in no way demanding you agree with me, just that that is a thing I believe, and I'm going to continue to believe and say it, unless someone can actually connect that statement to some sort of harm I should care about.

blarzgh posted:

What if you learned that hiring a private attorney versus using a public defender didn't materially change the outcome for a defendant? And also, what if you learned that people who had enough money to hire a private criminal defense attorney were not eligible for the public defender, thus forced to spend their own money?

Would that change your opinion of the legal system?
At least personally, I'm not talking about statistics, I don't care if Weinstein's lawyers are more or less effective than other lawyers (unless they are being ineffective on purpose and are scamming Weinstein, I suppose that would be defensible). I'm talking about specific lawyers that are doing specific things, and I think I should be able to judge "Hey that person acting in a professional capacity has made a bad choice".

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 13, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

To the OP's initial premise and question: No, based on the universal principle of non-identification, it is a fundamental tenet of a justice system that lawyers are not judged for their clients.
Too bad? It's not any sort of argument to say "A long time ago someone said not to do that". I'm going to do it anyways, if you want to argue it's bad you need to point at some sort of harm I'm causing and not the fact that lawyers managed to form a guild that decided lawyers are immune from judgment.
edit:

blarzgh posted:

Everyone deserves representation, and its immoral, short-sighted, and childish to chide or diminish the work that people do on behalf of anyone who's entitled to that representation.
No one is being denied representation, so I have no idea why people keep repeating "Everyone deserves representation", a fact that everyone agrees with. Why is it short sighted? What long term goal am I sacrificing? Why is it immoral, what harm am I personally causing? I don't really care to contest if it's childish.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 13, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

I don't need to do anything of the sort. I said it is a fundamental tenet of a justice system, and as such it is extremely easy to read up about. I don't think I'm obligated to even attempt to condense it all down to several pages of post on the off chance you'll actually accept anything I write in good faith (which you won't, because let's face it you're not gonna), when really the onus is on you to go out and pick up a book. The question the OP posed has an answer.
I read a book and it turns out, you're wrong. Weinstein's lawyers are dirtbags.

quote:

As far as I can gather the point of the lawyer shamers itt, that is exactly the consequence of your view that blarzgh is talking about. I don't think he needs to repeat himself any further, because he's absolutely correct.
It is not, because public defenders should continue to exist, and be better supported.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

The harm: if society gets more and more comfortable with the idea of denying people we "don't like" with representation, eventually society will earn itself the power to deny representation for people we "don't like."
No one is being denied representation! At worst, we are denying private lawyers clients.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Indeterminacy posted:

The conversation has gotten a bit weird. So let's make a thesis statement:

I think it is correct that Harvey Weinstein has to pay for his legal defense, as a person of wealth, and that accepting payment for this legal defense should not be a matter of shame, because someone has to do it.
Someone has to do it, but no one has to solicit Weinstein to do it. Like garbage removal people are definitely necessary, but if you actively want to be Weinstein's personal garbage removal person I'm going to look at you funny.
Weinstein's lawyers woke up one day and said "How should I spend my time? I know I will defend a wealthy and powerful horrible rapist because he can pay me loads of money"
Public defenders woke up one day and said "How should I spend my time? I know I will defend any client that crosses my desk, wealthy or not, guilty or not, horrible monster or not, because I want to work to achieve the principle that everyone deserves representation"
I do not need books to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys here.

blarzgh posted:

I mean, at this point all your saying is, "Today, I, and most of the people I interact, with think Rich People are bad, so I don't care about eroding legal and social protections for everyone so long as it hurts those god drat Rich People right now."

You're also saying, "I can't intellectually conceive of the idea that even though knocking down a railing on a mountain pass will certainly kill that person (who I hate) leaning against it, it will then kill anyone else who stumbles there, regardless of whether I like them or not.
No protections are being eroded because no one wants to deny anyone representation.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 13, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

your argument seems to be "*I* twodot can say this because I twodot am useless and not listened to by anyone so what I say is irrelevant" and that seems more like a personal problem than a point of any kind.

Like I, OOCC could tell people the best treatment for a stroke is 74mg of emicizumab. And like, literally nothing would happen because the odds of anyone actually taking medical advice from me on a random drug is zero, so I could say it all day, I can tell you right now to take it, you definitely won't. but like, it's still a bad opinion that is factually wrong and would be fatal if someone listened. So I shouldn't say it.
Even if I were effective, public defenders still exist (and if I were effective public defenders would be much more supported), so in any case no one is being denied representation.
edit:

Dead Reckoning posted:

So what exactly is the point of casting social opprobrium at Weinstein's lawyers if not to discourage anyone from representing him and thereby deny him counsel?
Because they are being bad, I hope they do less bad things in the future. Do I need a reason to want to say that bad people are bad? I suppose in an ideal world, I'd like Weinstein to show up in court and plead "I'm such a horrible monster that no licensed attorney will accept my money, please appoint me counsel"

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

So by representing Weinstein they are being bad, and the bad thing you want them to do less of is "represent Weinstein against criminal allegations", so I'm not really clear what the distinction you're trying to draw here is.
The thing I want them to do less of is "seek to be Weinstein's personal lawyer". If a court appointed Weinstein a lawyer, at that point the right thing to do is offer a competent and zealous defense.