Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
You're all morons. He's not guilty yet so there's no reason to worry about who's defending him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

MixMastaTJ posted:

Ffs, y'all making the most obtuse slippery slopes possible. People who profit off unjust systems are deserving of social ridicule. The American legal system is a corrupt institution designed to oppress the lower class. Those who profit off entrenching it deserve judgement.

Lawyers who try their best to help victims of this system navigate the corruption are worthy of praise. Lawyers who aid the wealthy in circumventing justice deserve derision.

Context here loving matters. 80 women claim to have been personally sexually assaulted by Weinstein. Weinstein is pleading not guilty. What the actual gently caress is the defense here? This isn't one or two women levying charges, it's 80. So the argument being presented must either be that 80 private individuals, all of whom are a lower social status than Weinstein, are committing perjury OR they are telling the truth but we shouldn't consider this rape.

Either way, in defending Weinstein you are entrenching injustice- by discrediting the very notion of witness testimony or redefining laws so they don't apply to the wealthy.

No, the argument is that the state needs to actually prove this, and follow the rules in doing so. I realize this sounds crazy but the role of an attorney is not actually to provide moral vindication for the client. Are you thinking of a publicist? Because I would kill for that gig in your idiotic fantasy where Weinstein is railroaded and saddled with incompetent representation, because that's exactly the same as not being convicted at all as far as public interest is concerned.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

That's fine my argument is that disapproval of the powerful is a prerequisite for changing the system that benefits them.

It's not though. In fact, to the extent this disapproval is grounds for petty bitching on the internet, it's actually worse than useless: it makes you stupid. Here we have yet another irreducible social contagion ("greed") for which the proposed solution is individual moralizing, a recipe for loving nothing as always, but what's specifically odious about this case is that it sent you sprinting to the right, shedding every worthwhile principle of liberal legal tradition along the way. For what? To get one loving guy who's already going down.

Consider a little strategy, please. Public shame is no antidote to private excess. That's precisely the system in which the Weinsteins of the world thrive. It's the one that already exists: "if this gets out, I'm finished". There are two predictable responses to this system: 1) to hate you, Mrs. Lovejoy, and 2) fraud, secrecy, and manipulation. Do you really think you can play the latter game better than the private sector professionals?

The pre-requisite for politics--any politics--is action, not thought.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

And when they get off on crimes well shucks guess they just literally bought their way out of being punished thems the breaks

The responsibility for securing convictions is on the state, though. Placing this responsibility on the private sector and the moral scruples of individual attorneys is a strategy that is guaranteed to both fail and appeal intensely to fifth graders who say things like "I think when someone does a good thing it's good".

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

No I'm arguing the results of the rich buying justice are bad too.

I admit my estimation of his motives are based on heuristics rather than mind-reading because I am a human not a Jedi. Heuristics are all we have, and I think "someone who makes a bunch of money working for rich scumbags is doing it out of greed" is a good one. I am open to evidence that I should revise this estimate, for example if I found out Sullivan was donating his fee to charity I would feel differently about his likely motive.

If this is true then not only should he be Weinstein's attorney, he actually deserves every penny. If everyone who defends a factually guilty person is subject to your infantile "heuristic", then the people who defend guilty clients can and should command a higher dollar figure--it is, after all, their reputation on the line. Cool system you've invented for rich rapists to thrive in and absolutely no one else.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

lol ok

I don't think Weinstein cares very much about his lawyer's reputation in my eyes, I think he cares about not going to prison, and I think the amount he is willing to pay depends on that and not on whether I say his lawyer is an rear end in a top hat.

Like what even is this reasoning: "we should never criticize bad people who do bad things, because then they will somehow Jedi mind-trick everyone into giving them more money to compensate for their hurt feelings" lol ok buddy

E: clearly politicians should not be criticized for taking donations to favor industry, because then they will just demand bigger donations to make up for my criticism, truly the only road to reform is to never criticize or oppose the rich and powerful in any way

The lawyer is one the setting the fee, you dipshit, not Weinstein. And if his fee has to account for the wrath of the mob then he may as well only represent the richest clients he can get. I don't give a gently caress who you criticize, my whole point is that it's worthless. Your condemnation is expedient and self-promotional, and your fantasy is that it matters. That's what I dispute, the delusion that shame can be leveraged for social good in lieu of politics. Your critique of "greedy lawyers" convinces everyone else that they are a necessity. How could they be anything but in a world populated by you and your strawmen?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

So if he thinks we should change the rules, which is politics, then he is fine? Because I think we should change the rules but that shame is fine in the meanwhile.

If your argument is that "shaming is less good than changing the rules" I 100% agree.

Shame is what makes it impossible to change the rules. This kind of slacktivist posturing absorbs useful energy, it doesn't motivate it, and if you want people to move it behooves you to give them a direction to move in. You should validate the dedication to principle--even if in the case of Weinstein's attorney it is a lie (it isn't)--because the principle helps more people than it hurts, and actually does disproportionally benefit the poor as a class even when it's helping the rich as individuals. And anyway Vital Signs and the kind of shrill online nitwit he typifies are so personally repellent that they could make nuclear annihilation sound appealing just by being against it. Look at the alternative being proposed: we should recruit public defenders to represent the rich. Wow cool, you mean I get to pay for law school, bill 40 bucks an hour defending scumbags, and I have to answer to the Internet if my client is found not guilty? Do I at least get to carry a gun?

This isn't just a bad way to change the status quo, the status quo is actually already better, which explains why this argument runs to the far right and indulges in all the old mythology about the legal profession that used to be the province of Dirty Harry flicks. At least now the intrinsic motivations--the rule of law, defense against the excesses of the state, admiration for the values if not the reality of the criminal justice system--result in some good being done, if just out of some perverse sense of noblesse oblige and even if it does mask something like "greed" (and to state the obvious you'll never, ever be able to accurately judge where the line is drawn). If you're going to have a legal system, you may as well have one where a-moral dedication to the rules and principles of law is the basis for it's prestige. At least that system is capable in theory of convicting Weinstein in a way that might make some kind of impact on popular consciousness. The best possible outcome in this case actually is that Weinstein's sleazy high price lawyers argue cogently and passionately that his victims are all whores who traded blowjobs for fame and they are repudiated by the jury. Anything less than that will be fart in the wind in terms of moving the social needle, including haranguing his defense team over their choice of clients.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Well slacktivist posturing is what you're doing now, so either (1) you do believe that it does something useful in which case great then I too am doing something useful or (2) you don't believe it does something useful but you do think it's not actively bad or harmful in which case great then I too am not doing something actively bad or harmful so there's no problem.

Or (3) you do think it is actively bad and you are doing it because you want actively bad things to be done, in which case if I don't want actively bad things to be done I should probably not be taking your advice on what to do!

The point is not that slacktivist posturing is wrong, and therefore goo goo gah gah you're a bad person. That's your brand of sophistry, not mine. The point is your non-viable worldview can't survive the outdoors, which closes every avenue other than moral preening and political deferrals. You can post on the internet and appear to others as someone who moves through a corrupt system uncompromised, because no one can prove you're lying. People who actually do things--say, as defense attorneys--have no such luxury, which is both why they have absolutely no reason to be moved by your appeals and nothing to learn from your infantile math on the balance of right and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

ok but anyone in power can make this argument that people who aren't them just don't understand what it's like. Maybe a parallel justice system that caters to the rich and operates by completely different rules of money and influence and connections than the justice system the rest of us face is a really really lucrative deal and really hard to pass up! I'm willing to bet it is for the people who benefit from it, I just don't care because I think it's bad that they benefit from it.

It's not just people in power. Everyone gets the doctor's note, if you're being even remotely honest about it. Everyone is a product of their environment, making the best of what they have, they were stressed that day, their mother was controlling, their father was a drunk, they didn't know better, hormones, mental illness, culture of whatever, prescription meds, mortages, mouths to feed, jobs to do, bosses to answer to. That's why focusing on the actions of any one individual is pointless and counter-productive, as is dragging politics down to this abysmal level of on-brand do-good-ery. If your issue is with the professional class, take it up with the whole. Don't feign concern about the system as an argument for vaporizing [some guy].