Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Really late but God Emperor of Dune is awesome if you like Scifi books that make you think about f'd up possibilities for very VERY distant futures. I think of that book every time I see a computerized anything in the trash. Duncan? Is that you?

Also gotta make my usual pitch for Frank Herbert's The Desaadi Experiment and Whipping Star because the Bureau of Sabotage is my favorite organization from any scifi ever and I still wish it existed IRL just as bad as I did when I was fifteen. I would work there the rest of my life if I could.

Alright I said my peace, back to raggin' on Brian Herbert for objectively sucking at everything.

This is a good opinion friend.

google THIS posted:

Yeah, it's hard to say. Though I don't think Frank Herbert had any delusions that the Atreides dynasty was a utopia, there is still an underpinning theme, that I actually find similar to as Asimov's Foundation series, that leadership with sufficient insight can reduce, but not eliminate, general strife by flipping a few switches on a giant cosmic trolley problem, and is indeed obligated to do so. Of course, in both cases said insight is provided by a fictional means of seeing the future with near perfect accuracy, but the net positive impact isn't really presented as debatable; Leto II insists on a couple of occasions that humanity would be extinct were it not for his intervention, and theoretically he would know.

Also this. From memory Leto II was reshaping humanity to survive and also to not again be able to be enslaved or worse, turned himself into a monster to do so and willingly submits to a fate worse than death in order to do ensure it. Implies that Paul forsaw that this would be necessary too but didn't have the minerals to actually do it, instead just playing at saviour.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

The way I interpreted it was Leto's golden path is technological determinism. Sandtrout and mentats/golas are endgame tech for humanity and the trick ultimately is that the immortal fish-grafts that make you triple-secret-extra psychic are the lesser of the two. Duncan Idaho the ever-butler is the real immortal of the story, not Leto, and his existence shows that the Jihad was a waste of time (even before Herbert the Lesser retconned it into complete stupid). Yeah we would have gone extinct without Leto but we also never would have not had a Leto. A God-Emperor is as inevitable as computer-mind slaves assuming you can hedge your bets against atomics with a multi-planet society, the thing that happened so long before the series began it's not that important how it went down.

That is an important aspect to always remember about Herbert's message though, atomics without space travel is a recipe for extinction even after you've built the empire. You lose the spacer guild you lose everything, even late in the game.

The spice must flow.

Bobby Deluxe

you guys still have not answered my question, should i read nude

Twenty Four

Bobby Deluxe posted:

maybe but be careful its nsfw

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Only for the articles.

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
emperor: leto u up?
leto: yea
emperor: send dunes
leto: but i dont control arrakis
emperor: ;)

thanks Manifisto!

alnilam

mailorder bees! posted:

ty manifisto

Manifisto

mailorder bees! posted:

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

When I was in middleschool one day some local church was handing out Bibles to kids on their way home, and they had neon orange covers. I knew my best friend at the time was awesome immediately when we both caught it as a (almost certainly unintentional) Dune reference. And we are still great friends to this day, and we still talk about cool sci-fi books.

As long as we're being ultranerdy about creepy distant future books, there was a recent BBC article that referenced goon-favorite Dougal Dixon and his After... trilogy. Somewhere between God Emperor of Dune, Man after Man, Olaf Stapleton's Last and First Men, McCaffrey's The Ship Who Sang and Mark Twain's The Mysterious Stranger is the root of my young fascination with body-horror futurism. They set the stage for Carpenter and Cronenberg movies, and crazy foreign stuff like Fantastic Planet and Tarzoon and The King and the Mockingbird, all of which I didn't find until later, but it all meshes so well into a sweaty, awful, terrifying weight on a person's sense of physical wellbeing.

To me, really good sci-fi should make you profoundly uncomfortable for the rest of your life. But I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Edit- And Frank Baum's Oz series and Blade Runner and Dragonball and Fallout and Deus Ex...

Edit edit- Yes read all of (Frank Herbert's) Dune, yes it has themes! Yes Jodorowsky invented robovision, yes!!!!! I am a Dune goon!

:goonsay:

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 17, 2019

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

mailorder bees! posted:

Bobby Deluxe

dune shitposting is the best

Sent from my Mentat®

Manifisto

should I write dune? I'm thinking of writing an imperial spacefaring epic involving telepathic drugs, giant wormlike monsters, and the religious-based struggles of a group of desert warriors and I figure, hey, why not just go ahead and write dune? if I write dune it will definitely have themes, rest assured.

ty nesamdoom!

Finger Prince

Should I watch the anime Dune (砂丘)?

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
prune

thanks Manifisto!

Finger Prince

Manifisto

lol

alnilam

ty manifisto

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

thanks Manifisto!

google THIS

google THIS

Dunedere

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
UwU-ne

muad’dib-sama so tsundere

thanks Manifisto!

Macnult

Goons Are Gifts

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

google THIS

You were expecting a Harkonnen to be the father of the Kwisatz Haderach, but it was me, Leto!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
lol i just remembered that the miniseries portrayed the emperor as an extravagant dresser, when he was specified to exlusively wear sardaukar uniform to underline them being the real source of his authority

epic fail

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

google THIS posted:

You were expecting a Harkonnen to be the father of the Kwisatz Haderach, but it was me, Leto!

thanks Manifisto!

Nosfereefer

trash talk aside, i really like dune and frank's own sequels. the entire theme of a complete cultural taboo on thinking machines is really good. it's well justified, as the background for the current galactic civilization was humanity previously being enslaved by an ai. the mentats, navigators, face-dancers, and ghoulas are all horrible perversions of humanity genetically altered to get around the fact that owning a calculator would get you burned on a stake

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
i agree actually. might go back and read the first one again

thanks Manifisto!

Manifisto

mailorder bees! posted:

i agree actually. might go back and read the first one again

maybe you should wait until I write it, mine will be v good

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

maybe you should wait until I write it, mine will be v good

I'm excited

ty manifisto

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
ooh i will read this new dune

thanks Manifisto!

Manifisto

contribute to my kickstarter

also you should be aware that it will be a word for word duplicate of frank herbert's dune. however, my dune, written in the aftermath of 9/11, will be thematically richer and more relevant

Nosfereefer

Manifisto posted:

also you should be aware that it will be a word for word duplicate of frank herbert's dune. however, my dune, written in the aftermath of 9/11, will be thematically richer and more relevant

will you make mentat training involve memes? b/c tbh i could see that being a more popular use of mentats

Manifisto

Nosfereefer posted:

will you make mentat training involve memes? b/c tbh i could see that being a more popular use of mentats

the entire subtext of my dune will be memes. be on the lookout for loss.jpg and goatse.

google THIS

"What's in the box?"

"Coupons and deals."

Bargearse

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Manifisto posted:

will David Lynch make a film based on it, this is important

Manifisto

Bargearse posted:

will David Lynch make a film based on it, this is important

I will make the film. the film will be a shot for shot remake of david lynch's dune, but it will be better because my deviations from the rich world-building in my book will be ironic.

ty nesamdoom!

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

Nosfereefer posted:

memetat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Manifisto posted:

I will make the film. the film will be a shot for shot remake of david lynch's dune, but it will be better because my deviations from the rich world-building in my book will be ironic.

well I for one am suddenly feeling a lot better about this project of yours