Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bifner McDoogle posted:

The creator did eventually confirm that Mr. Simmons is a gay character, the guy he's with in the Thanksgiving episode was his partner. It was pretty much impossible to have an recognizably LGBT+ character on cable in the 90's, so it was unconfirmed until pretty recently. As obvious as it was even then, admitting it would get the show instantly cancelled at the time.

unconfirmed bachelor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, were there any other child actors on the show besides Helga that kept playing their characters the whole way through?

Conversely, was there ever a case where one of the reoccurring adult VAs had to be replaced?

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hell yeah, Royal Crackers rules. I love that the second season is just clearly off doing its own thing half the time now, almost always completely unrelated to the ostensibly premise of the show. CIA shenanigans in the Middle East? Sure! 80's slasher? Why the gently caress not!? It's become a stronger show for it, IMO. Everything's forced to become more character driven.

I dunno if this is just me overthinking a random gag, but I got the sense from the first season flashback episode that Stebe and Theo aren't actually the dad's kids. You're not wrong about the historical timeline existing on something of a sliding scale though.

This wasn't the kind of show I expected to have ~*lore but then all the shots in the opening credits started relating to things in the various backstory episodes so now I don't know.

I like how they just use the cracker money to do stuff as well and don't focus completely on it, unless its funny towards the story. Reminds me of how American Dad pivoted from the conservative/liberal dynamic in the early seasons to just anything happening. I think the writers are American Dad fans too because they did the escalator joke, which I still find funny. Should become a standard joke in comedy.

I kind of thought the cannibal woman that the dad slept with in the flashback episode was supposed to be their mom. Thats why there's no pictures of her anywhere or mention of her anywhere outside of that episode.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gurragadon posted:

I like how they just use the cracker money to do stuff as well and don't focus completely on it, unless its funny towards the story. Reminds me of how American Dad pivoted from the conservative/liberal dynamic in the early seasons to just anything happening. I think the writers are American Dad fans too because they did the escalator joke, which I still find funny. Should become a standard joke in comedy.

I kind of thought the cannibal woman that the dad slept with in the flashback episode was supposed to be their mom. Thats why there's no pictures of her anywhere or mention of her anywhere outside of that episode.

I too feel like it has a lot of what makes American Dad great for just being able to do anything and keep trucking. I felt very meh on Season 1 but Season 2 shows the potential while showing they know how to start using it. I hope it gets 10+ seasons I really want to see what weird places they can take it now.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

I AM GRANDO posted:

My immediate response is that the neighborhood in Hey Arnold is way too diverse to be in Seattle, but maybe I don’t know enough about it for that to be a fair take.

Having attended Seattle public schools, the diversity actually feels pretty accurate but there should definitely be more Chinese characters (it appears Phoebe is likely Japanese). The street/neighborhood aesthetics are definitely more New York/Chicago which is probably where a lot of the confusion comes from (I also didn't know it was based on Seattle until very recently)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

doomrider7 posted:

Helga's dad was a sketchy owner of a beeper company not a fireman. And yeah, Hey Arnold really set a gold standard for being REAL about it's depiction of inner city kids.

lol. i remember the bobs beepers or some poo poo. I also feel like he probably didnt evolve with the times but didnt lose everything because of medical folks using them still.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it's also relevant to consider cartoons where white characters aren't the lead or even the majority, which is sort of one of those areas where my knowledge is a bit deficient. There have been a number of American cartoons with primarily black or asian characters ever since at least the 70s, but I don't think the old ones were rerun much when I was a kid, and I didn't really watch many of the ones contemporary to my time.

Of course some wikipedia categories help, but there's a lot I don't know enough to verify everything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1970s_American_black_cartoons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1980s_American_black_cartoons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1990s_American_black_cartoons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2000s_American_black_cartoons
So from that, you see a few of black cartoons in the 70s, a few less in the 80s, and a few more in the 90s (although the cartoons of the 90s have a lot of different qualifiers; there's one that just has the one lead character as black, a few that are more adult-targeted, and then Little Bill is a show targeted to the newer demographic of extra little kids). Almost all the shows look like pretty short runs except for Fat Albert. But then when you hit the aughts, there's a jump up in black cartoons, and you get shows with longer runs and also shows that I've actually seen a fair amount of.

There's some kind of broader question you can ask about how much the kind of approach counts to overall representation and diversity in cartoons, where you kind of get a "segregation" effect in cartoons, but I'm sure it's true to some people's lives where they're either in a mainly white area or a mainly black area.

For asian american cartoons, there's less of them, and Wikipedia seems a little less helpful, but then I've actually seen more of the cartoons so I have more of an idea that there were shows out there. Maybe asians were slower at getting represented in American cartoons, but I guess that's natural from there being much less asians in America. "The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan" seems like it was the only one mainly-asian cartoon for a long while (and it's very not good from the little I checked out; not like super racist, just very low production value, even by the 70s standards). But then you hit the 2000s and you get a few more. And of course the real reason you get more isn't just the desire for more representation, it's the influence of anime. That earlier wikipedia list is just Chinese American shows, there's a lot more non-chinese Asian American cartoons out there, from Xiaolin Showdown taking place in the Himalayans to a bunch of shows with Japanese characters like Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi or Samurai Jack. Recently Disney just ran a couple shows starring Thai Americans. There's even various forms of fictional nationality but asian-inspired characters, most famously Avatar. And this is in addition to media coming direct from China, Japan, and Korea that could even increase asian representation in American TV.

There's also been a number of Hispanic American cartoons, maybe a bit more than specifically asian american shows, but without the as much of the added caveat of the booming foreign media evening things out. I guess some of the specific need for representation is a bit more blurry since a lot of hispanic americans can just sort of assimilate over time into "white", and at that point you might have to segue into all the other various things out there for the sake of representation; other national origins, religions, regions, disabilities.

Benagain posted:

Hey Arnold was set in Seattle actually and yes I just found that out like a month ago and still refuse to believe it

More intended to be a city melange, although I'm not really sure how much west coast vibes it really has.

I guess the one thing I could point to is the relative apparent lack of hispanic characters? New York City was 26% hispanic in 2000, but Seattle was only 4%.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat this is a better one of those "jokes you never got as a kid."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/mouse_inhouse/status/1780257310507720935

Jeez. I knew about Clay but not Andy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I remember the show not really straying into fantasy territory much either (the only big exceptions I can think of are the end of The Haunted Train and possibly the movie that closed out the show).

I also liked that sometimes characters didn’t learn any lessons from their experience in the episode and just kept being assholes.

Hey Arnold was a pretty smart show for the time (it definitely had some of the most realistic depictions of kids/families at least) that honestly still holds up in a lot of respects

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 16, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

I remember the show not really straying into fantasy territory much either (the only big exceptions I can think of are the end of The Haunted Train and possibly the movie that closed out the show).

I also liked that sometimes characters didn’t learn any lessons from their experience in the episode and just kept being assholes. Hey Arnold was a pretty smart show for the time (it definitely had some of the most realistic depictions of kids at least) that honestly still holds up in a lot of respects

i always liked the harold started as bully and then just ended up being some fat insecure jewish kid. I always like the meat/butcher episode which i liked.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Ha, don't know how I forgot that, but it's absolutely true. The bizarre pride he takes in the beeper business is one of those things that's funny as a kid and funnier as an adult.

The creator did eventually confirm that Mr. Simmons is a gay character, the guy he's with in the Thanksgiving episode was his partner. It was pretty much impossible to have an recognizably LGBT+ character on cable in the 90's, so it was unconfirmed until pretty recently. As obvious as it was even then, admitting it would get the show instantly cancelled at the time.

I can't remember where I read it, but the showrunners of "As Told By Ginger" wrote Courtney as being closetedly lesbian and having a crush on Ginger hence her whole thing of wanting to include her in stuff. They had an arc where she comes out to her, where Ginger politely declines, but supports her about it without outing her.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. i remember the bobs beepers or some poo poo. I also feel like he probably didnt evolve with the times but didnt lose everything because of medical folks using them still.

The movie has them fall on hard times because he never segued into cellular and just stuck with beepers.

Edit: I always thought Phoebe was Korean or Filipino. Mr. Hyunh was definitely vietnamese as shown in the Christmas episode.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 16, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The Seattle thing is crazy to me since there was a whole episode about a story from the revolutionary war on that island, which made me think east coast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Edit: I always thought Phoebe was Korean or Filipino. Mr. Hyunh was definitely vietnamese as shown in the Christmas episode.

He also says it outright as a throwaway gag in an earlier episode

Out of curiosity, where was it established that the show took place in Seattle? An interview or something?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 16, 2024

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Neeksy posted:

The Seattle thing is crazy to me since there was a whole episode about a story from the revolutionary war on that island, which made me think east coast.

And isn’t the secret motivation of the villain from the movie getting revenge on behalf of his ancestor who fought for the British?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Revolutionary or a war over a pig?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

He also says it outright as a throwaway gag in an earlier episode

Out of curiosity, where was it established that the snow took place in Seattle? An interview or something?

Something like that yeah which always felt weird. I do know that it was kept vague so that it felt like it could be ANY city in the US, but certain things always gave it a SUPER East Coast vibe(local harbor, random small islands just off the coast, Revolutionary War stories).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boo to the wikipedia page for not having "1 pig" under Strength

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can someone sell me on Smiling Friends? For some reason I thought the title was ironic or something, but I watched a few clips from the Gwimbly episode and I think I misled myself.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s good? Either ya like it or ya don’t. The Gwimbly episode is pretty on point for the general vibe of the show so if that isn’t hitting for you the rest of it likely won’t as well. It’s mostly a vehicle for the animation team to just do whatever the hell they want to and the writing and delivery is pretty fun.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Warbird posted:

It’s good? Either ya like it or ya don’t. The Gwimbly episode is pretty on point for the general vibe of the show so if that isn’t hitting for you the rest of it likely won’t as well. It’s mostly a vehicle for the animation team to just do whatever the hell they want to and the writing and delivery is pretty fun.

Oh yeah forgot mention I enjoyed what I watched. So if the rest of the series is like that I'll be sure to check it out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah the premise of the show is basically an excuse to throw these weird characters at even weirder depressed people.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I can’t prove anything but they have an unusually high mortality rate for guest voices.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Gwimbly is probably the strongest episode of the show, but there's not a single iconic stinker in the whole lot

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Warbird posted:

I can’t prove anything but they have an unusually high mortality rate for guest voices.

RIP God

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alcohol has yet to claim Mike Stoklassa.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Too much of a hack fraud to die. Rich is also in this season from what I understand.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Space Ghost marathon livestream :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiheRTcwkc4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

doomrider7 posted:

Something like that yeah which always felt weird. I do know that it was kept vague so that it felt like it could be ANY city in the US, but certain things always gave it a SUPER East Coast vibe(local harbor, random small islands just off the coast, Revolutionary War stories).

I've read that the city seems mostly New York but mixing elements and aesthetics from Seattle and even Portland.

It's a pretty common thing in cartoons, whether or not the setting even gets named, and smart because it makes the setting more relatable and sidesteps geography pendants, as well as letting writers and artists incorporate whatever elements they want.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh yeah forgot mention I enjoyed what I watched. So if the rest of the series is like that I'll be sure to check it out.

yeah its mostly good. I think some episodes are better then others, but none are bad really. i like the tone alot. some of the jokes/gags might not click fully because they are weird in jokes from oney plays which zach is on, but thats only a couple.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I've watched like, three minutes total of Oneyplays and can't think of any jokes or dialogue in Smiling Friends that were impenetrable just because so much of the show is based around weird friend in-joke non-sequitors and such anyway. There was never a moment that I was like "well I feel like I'm missing something here".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Get ready to watch some heroes kick the poo poo out some thieving gnomes!

Golden Axe Animated Series From Mike McMahan Set at Comedy Central; Matthew Rhys and Danny Pudi Among Voice Cast

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

well, at least Mike McMahan is going somewhere after Lower Decks, *sigh*

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Were they unable to find anyone else to pick it up? I heard the news the other day and it's a super bummer.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Warbird posted:

Were they unable to find anyone else to pick it up? I heard the news the other day and it's a super bummer.

Who else could? Paramount owns Trek outright as far as I know.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

AFAIK that is the case, yes. Wishful thinking on my part.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1780974839081156686

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
YO. That show had so much potential. I was always waiting it to just, like, "get good".

The designs were sick.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I guess we have different tastes then because a lot of people found the first season fun and it has my personal favorite versions of Clark and Lois

Looking forward to more personally, hope we get a release date soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The best versions of Supes, IMO, are the ones where they de-emphasize that every problem has the solution of "Let's punch it harder". Lois and Clark, despite being EXTREMELY 90s, was similar in that regard. Clark's always at his best when the conflict is the struggles between his overwhelming power, his sense of responsability, and his desire to be "normal".