Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neito posted:

The best versions of Supes, IMO, are the ones where they de-emphasize that every problem has the solution of "Let's punch it harder". Lois and Clark, despite being EXTREMELY 90s, was similar in that regard. Clark's always at his best when the conflict is the struggles between his overwhelming power, his sense of responsability, and his desire to be "normal".

Yeah, that was one of the many cool things about the show. It's just that a lot of the episodes were overcrowded and / sucked a bit IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

well, at least Mike McMahan is going somewhere after Lower Decks, *sigh*

He still has Solar Opposites.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I've never really liked Superman, but I really liked MAWS because of most of the characters (and, as stated before, making Clark's struggle about being normal), but felt the villains were never really much of a threat. The penultimate episode felt really weak to me.

That said, I will be watching season 2!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
On the last episode of beastars season 1 and i have genuinly enjoyed it so far despite some issues. my big issues is the world building is kinda all over the place and while i do kinda like how stupidly awful the world is to live in and alot of the weird poo poo. like the mayor lion getting so much cosmetic surgery that he looks like that taxadermy lion in finland. Another issue is i feel like the plot doesnt really know what it wants to do and only picks up in the last third of the season. I do think what helps is i like most of the cast and i just love alot of the designs, like legoshi has this mix of a giant nightmare werewolf but moves and carries himself and looks like the gangly teen he is. ill probably finish it tonight finish up thoughts.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It’s one of those self-repeating immortal frankenants. :colbert:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Megera posted:

the villains were never really much of a threat.

I mean it's a Superman story. That's been an ongoing thing with the series more or less from the jump though I'm sure some DC fans can correct me.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Warbird posted:

I mean it's a Superman story. That's been an ongoing thing with the series more or less from the jump though I'm sure some DC fans can correct me.

I mean, famously, at least one character has killed Supes without the use of kryptonite.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Neito posted:

I mean, famously, at least one character has killed Supes without the use of kryptonite.

That character was invented for that sole purpose.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think as I have grown older, I appreciate stories and conflicts ultimately not about the violence more. I feel like a lot of fight scenes in works that really rely on the fights and stretch those out end up as just feeling like a lot of empty choreography.

Warbird posted:

From what I've seen Superman was pretty inconsistent with that. A lot of threats he's invincible to, but sometimes he's not and seems to struggle. There's a lot of moments in the old Fleischer cartoons where Superman seems to struggle for individual feats of strength, and those individual moments generate their own natural pathos even though other feats of strength he'll just do no problem. He'll be nearly defeated by flamethrowers one moment and then shrug off a vat of molten metal the next.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LEfzup0aNs

I think most people will naturally right characters as having implicit limits even if by the end of the story they'll push those limits, but over time, threat inflation and then so many stories in the franchise ultimately resolving with "actually superman is just the strongest in the universe" and otherwise being invincible has created a pop culture image of Superman as infinitely strong and infinitely invincible so it steadily becomes harder to tell new stories where just some strong guy or heavy thing is an issue for Superman.

I think Goku has a similar issue although he hasn't had quite as long to ferment and rot. It seems like an easy thing to fall into with certain types of story.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

They intentionally nerfed Superman in the Animated Series to keep things interesting. There's no way Joker's shock buzzer would give Supes trouble, but it was one of the best episodes of the show. The kryptonite helped, I guess.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Electricity being a Superman weakness at least makes sense; it's forcing his muscles to work against his prodigious constitution. "Magic" being a weakness is weirder to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What is the official explanation for the magic weakness anyway (assuming it’s still a thing in modern day)?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm not much of a Supes guy, but I always assumed it was less a "weakness" and more of a "vulnerability"

In the way that I, a regular human, am vulnerable to being stabbed

e to clarify:
or in the way that Batman would be similarly vulnerable to magic

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Magic is definitely a thing that can hurt Superman. He's cut himself on Wonder Womans sword once before and it's been stated enough that he's susceptible to magical attacks. It doesn't render him powerless, but it does affect and can hurt him.

I want to say it's a comic thing to give him a weakness, but it might be from something else.

Kryptonite itself originated from a Superman radio series in the 40's.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The official DC comics party line is that Superman lacks any invulnerability to magic. Various adaptations and less-canon-devoted writers have interpreted this as a particular vulnerability to magic, often for the sake of adding spice to any battles with Captain Marvel.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

What is the official explanation for the magic weakness anyway (assuming it’s still a thing in modern day)?

It's not so much a weakness in as much as lack of resistance to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

He doesn't actually have a magical weakness. He just doesn't have protecting against magic greater than his natural durability and strength. For example if someone shoots him with a magic laser, he's still going to be able to tank it. He isn't vulnerable or weak to it. But if someone tries to turn him into a toad? He's a fuckin' toad. Sometimes this gets written as "has less durability against magic attacks than non-magic attacks" but even then he's still unnaturally durable and strong, it just means Captain Marvel hitting him with a thunderbolt can actually hurt.

It's inconsistent, like they've done "Wonder Woman's magic weapons can hurt Superman" but then in the same story he tanks several magic lightning bolts with no lasting damage. Usually this is justified as like "Wonder Woman's sword is enchanted to cut anything, Superman doesn't get to nosell that enchantment."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 18, 2024

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

This is contrasted with both Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman who I do believe have resistance to magic.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

TaurusTorus posted:

This is contrasted with both Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman who I do believe have resistance to magic.

I believe at least Captain Marvel at least is explicitly magic in origin.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neito posted:

I believe at least Captain Marvel at least is explicitly magic in origin.

Shazam is effectively the source of all human magic in the DC universe.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Magic works on Superman because even if audiences are less likely to accept some random strong guy coming out of nowhere as a threat to superman, some kind of exotic supernatural threat is more plausible as a threat and does not have to be as thoroughly explained to justify giving Superman a hard time.

TaurusTorus posted:

Then how did Circe turn her into a pig?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Supes is actually extremely vulnerable to psychic attack because he is a dumb american, which means cthulhu would totally own him as soon as he wakes up. Ftagn.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Turpitude posted:

Supes is actually extremely vulnerable to psychic attack because he is a dumb american, which means cthulhu would totally own him as soon as he wakes up. Ftagn.

Starro's grabbed him plenty of times. Gorilla Grodd, too.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Superman has been mind controlled numerous times.

Poison Ivy
Maxwell Lord
Brainiac
Starro

And others have all had him under complete control from time to time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm just gonna put this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koAPcrCa6EA

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

No, don't put that anywhere. (It's AI.)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Rand Brittain posted:

No, don't put that anywhere. (It's AI.)

I think AI stuff like that can be cool in a brainstorming / concept art way, but it completely fails at being a good piece of art. I liked the idea.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

starkebn posted:

I think AI stuff like that can be cool in a brainstorming / concept art way, but it completely fails at being a good piece of art. I liked the idea.

I've seen some FromSoft games as movies/anime/tv series AI videos that are just AWESOME and would definitely be stuff I'd love to watch.

Here's my personal favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IPXMkPdXEo

That you can tell what most of them are even without the subs is impressive.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

beastars season 1 Another issue is i feel like the plot doesnt really know what it wants to do

I've heard this is the overall problem with the comics. I've watched seasons 1 and 2 and like them though so I'm hoping the anime adaption of the rest of the material can make something out of what was apparently a pretty weird final arc.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Beastars certainly decided to take a turn that most people would not be expecting at first.

But drat got to love that awesome intro for season one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgo9dJB_icw

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

starkebn posted:

Nah, it's still bad and exploitative no matter if you're using it for concept art or brainstorming. It's an environmental nightmare product, just like blockchain poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dapper_Swindler posted:

On the last episode of beastars season 1 and i have genuinly enjoyed it so far despite some issues. my big issues is the world building is kinda all over the place and while i do kinda like how stupidly awful the world is to live in and alot of the weird poo poo. like the mayor lion getting so much cosmetic surgery that he looks like that taxadermy lion in finland. Another issue is i feel like the plot doesnt really know what it wants to do and only picks up in the last third of the season. I do think what helps is i like most of the cast and i just love alot of the designs, like legoshi has this mix of a giant nightmare werewolf but moves and carries himself and looks like the gangly teen he is. ill probably finish it tonight finish up thoughts.

You've kind of caught on to the biggest issues plaguing the series as a whole. It's at its strongest when it just does like, little slice of life style stuff about the people in this weird horrible animal world and it's at its weakest when it's like, trying to build something big about whatever the gently caress the beastars are supposed to be or trying to impart some kind of social message.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Magic works on Superman because even if audiences are less likely to accept some random strong guy coming out of nowhere as a threat to superman, some kind of exotic supernatural threat is more plausible as a threat and does not have to be as thoroughly explained to justify giving Superman a hard time.

Then how did Circe turn her into a pig?

Circe has better magic, at least in the turning people into animals department. It's kinda one of her main things.

Funny thing is some versions of Superman are shown as actively developing willpower and resistance to mind control, specifically because he's very well aware that's a weakness he has and the results can be catastrophic. Superman TAS had a whole arc about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ccs posted:

I've heard this is the overall problem with the comics. I've watched seasons 1 and 2 and like them though so I'm hoping the anime adaption of the rest of the material can make something out of what was apparently a pretty weird final arc.

yeah. i am mostly unspoiled outside a couple small moments but i kinda like that the last couple episodes outside the yakuza fight is just akward forplay and sex stuff. i like the chemestry between all the characters and how legoshi is just some dumb kid who is an introvert. I like that he clearly loves/likes this girl but isnt really gross about it, just confused about his own feelings and she has to play the adult in the room but not in a sitcom way. its interesting. i also like that he isnt actually a good fighter, he just does judo throws and can kinda super sayan a bit.

Nuebot posted:

You've kind of caught on to the biggest issues plaguing the series as a whole. It's at its strongest when it just does like, little slice of life style stuff about the people in this weird horrible animal world and it's at its weakest when it's like, trying to build something big about whatever the gently caress the beastars are supposed to be or trying to impart some kind of social message.

yeah, i like the character stuff and the weird world a bunch. like the world building is messy as gently caress and alot of it just doesnt work if you think about it too hard but enough of it works that its fun. I love that juno really really wants to gently caress legoshi but he is too in his own head having monlogues mixed with being a weird introvert to notice. i also like that she sees through roiex werid smug projection bullshit which is a nice change of pace. i love her ending with him in the comic too basicaly saying that she knows she gave him desires he will never be able to really follow through on because he is up his own rear end, whcih is a nice own i think why the show can't build something bigger is because the world has to many weird holes in it. like half the time its just animal dangonramppa, also i guess murders are so common that they dont even like close the school for day when a student gets ripped apart.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 19, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Royal Crackers doing a casual Rick and Morty like it's nothing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Binged through Smiling Friends season 1. Show is stupid in all the best ways.

Charlie punching Jeremy had me laughing for way too long.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Binged through Smiling Friends season 1. Show is stupid in all the best ways.

Charlie punching Jeremy had me laughing for way too long.

yeah, to me its the modern aqua teen hunger force mixed with sienfeld but like most of the cast are decent people.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, to me its the modern aqua teen hunger force mixed with sienfeld but like most of the cast are decent people.

Oh yeah that's another thing that really surprised me. Like the Brazil episode could have ended in a multitude of ways with everyone being miserable and on bad terms, but everyone was like "it's cool, learning experience we'll get it next time." Like everyone understood where the misunderstanding happened and got that Pim is feeling pretty lovely about this.

The Renaissance Men conversation ended with more hostility lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh yeah that's another thing that really surprised me. Like the Brazil episode could have ended in a multitude of ways with everyone being miserable and on bad terms, but everyone was like "it's cool, learning experience we'll get it next time." Like everyone understood where the misunderstanding happened and got that Pim is feeling pretty lovely about this.

The Renaissance Men conversation ended with more hostility lol.

and i like that that episode kinda sets up the christmas episode tone too. i genuinly like that that show sets stuff up and lets it cook and then pays it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This reminds me of how during the airing of the finale episode of Seinfeld viewers came to realize. Oh poo poo, these are horrible people!

Until the judge said it most viewers didn't even consider it.

Probably one of the reasons that last episode bombed for so many. Bit of a rude shock for some.