Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel kinda the point is that Japan's society is so hosed that rebellion is actually far easier than trying to live a 'normal' life because the pressures and cost of living make it impossible to settle down and have a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Good and depressing thread here:

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1154179994551123968?s=19

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel kinda the point is that Japan's society is so hosed that rebellion is actually far easier than trying to live a 'normal' life because the pressures and cost of living make it impossible to settle down and have a family.

Japanese birth rate is higher than Spain, Italy, Greece, Taiwan, Korea, and Hong Kong.

Like is it low, sure, is it appreciably lower than other developed countries? Not really.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Barudak posted:

Japanese birth rate is higher than Spain, Italy, Greece, Taiwan, Korea, and Hong Kong.

Like is it low, sure, is it appreciably lower than other developed countries? Not really.

Japan takes the issue seriously though, and that is what matters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Those societies kind of all have similar problems though with a crushing lack of opportunity for young people (Spain has ridiculously high youth unemployment iirc and Greece is being turbofucked economically), and Korea in particular has basically all of Japan's problems but even worse, probably Taiwan and Hong Kong aren't dissimilar.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The first season of Aggretsuko felt like it was so focused and trying to make a statement, and the second season kinda felt like it was all over the place both with no clear goal. The detour into post-singularity space communism techbro messiah futurism just felt weird and bizarre, and the exact reverse of how season 1 went against the idea of Retsuko dreaming of an easy escape and I just didn't understand what was happening. The way that she eventually dumped him over his refusal to conform to the one social structure that she cared about in his very techbro-style rejection of what wasn't convenient for him kinda remedied some of the issues I with it, but still the season felt weak.

But honestly? What I disliked most about the season was the fact that the biggest theme of the first season of the show was people's inner lives, mostly Retsuko's, but also the high-power office ladies, Haida, Fenneko's investigation into secrets, Kabae having a secret spy life underneath all that talking, even Mr.Tone's in a bizarrely sympathetic-to-the-villain moment, and then the stark contrast of Resasuke's utter emptiness inside. The metal karaoke wasn't just an expression of Retsuko's feelings at the moment, it was an illustration of having deeper feelings and reactions deep down inside. But then season 2 leaves most of the extended cast high and dry with no real thought to how they're doing, and almost as bad, what new developments happen don't get really explored. Hanai's a weird psychopath, but that just clears up halfway through the season with not much thought to what the flying gently caress was going on inside him. Washimi has a big revelation about marriage with no details or even like a clear philosophical statement about what she thinks about marriage. Tadano's anti-marriage comments were the closest he ever really got to "tipping his hand" as to whatever inner life he had. Like overall, there just was a lot less of what I loved about season 1.

Mr.Tone's bizarrely inspirational speech wasn't him being an ol' softy, it was the same as season 1, he's just a big bastard willing to come down hard on Retsuko. Some revelations hurt, and nobody's more willing to hurt Retsuko than Mr. Tone. Also he really needs to keep a full staff to get work done, so of COURSE he's going to try to talk her out of quitting. Not his fault Retsuko has easily-exploitable doubts.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I still like the show, and it's still different enough from a lot of other things out there, but yeah this season felt really, really weak even rolling with it. There's not enough metal, either. But the receptions been pretty chilly so hopefully next season will be better.

I'm kind of annoyed that Haida didn't really get his own arc either and he's just kind of left mooning after Retsuko and also barely interacting with her. The interesting thing about the show is that it does not resort to stock romantic comedy characters and Haida is now kind of one of my least favorite ones. I'd like to see him move on for a while, or interact with Retsuko over something that isn't an office problem or something. I don't know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda sounds like Aggretsuko is one of those shows dancing around the idea that the real enemy is capitalism but never quite able to get there.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda sounds like Aggretsuko is one of those shows dancing around the idea that the real enemy is capitalism but never quite able to get there.

Season 2 has a character who's like if Elon Musk was actually a too-nice-to-be-real guy, someone trying to create self driving car to actually free society from the burden of grudge work so people can do what they want. Actually says in the English dub "Late Stage Capitalism is such a pain. That's why it has to go."

Doesn't quite say that in Japanese dub. Something more about restructuring society - and it's kind of because Japanese work culture sucks so much that it's easier to imagine just restructuring society completely than being able to have an actual life within it - or something like that, I'm trying to remember exactly what other sentiments I've seen said about this season, because it feels like there's kind of a culture gap. It was probably from the youtuber Mother's Basement review of the season and some other forum's poster. Like, it feels odd that the Hello Kitty company would actually be so anti-capitalist that it feels like they meant something else, and the show beyond this weird character is basically a pretty down-to-Earth and relatable series about office life that does not stick to the usual tropes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured the joke might be that it's more realistic for her to become a billionare's trophy wife than to actually be able to marry a nice normal guy and raise a family like she wants.

A lot of anime lately seems to be either increasingly bizarrely specific escapism, a desperate cry for help, or both.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I enjoy Aggretsuko more the less I think about it. It's all diagnosis and no cure, it acknowledges all of these systemic problems in Retsuko's life but then it sweeps them under the rug with tidy resolutions that don't ring true. (Anai made a fantastic villain and actually made me wonder what I'd do if faced with a coworker like that, but then suddenly he was... done being an issue.)

Every problem/villain is resolved once Retsuko changes her perception, meaning all the blame and responsibility rests solely on her.

Also S2 pulled an Office Space by dwelling on an issue no one can relate to in the second half:
"I've wore the wrong shoes to work too! This show gets me!" to "I have never dated a billionaire tech-bro who will change the world with AI..."

Lastly Haida is a Nice Guy creep who claims ownership over Retsuko even though she's made it clear she's not interested. He should be subjected to her rage that same as everything else, but I suspect that won't happen.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mean there's a number of ways that Hanai could've made sense, but the show just chose to never elaborate on what the hell was going on inside his head and why exactly he just chilled. I did love that yakisoba rap though.

Haida's not that bad, and Retsuko's big turndown of him was a fairly ambiguous "I can't deal with this sort of thing right now", which seemed like it was literally true from how the show was going rather than a clear "no never". I kind of see his whole weird deal of wanting to hang out with Retsuko but being unable to effectively break the ice as more just generic social ineptitude (similar to the social ineptitude that causes many other problems in the series) rather than a one-sided romance. Although really, I'm more grumpy about Fenneko barely featuring in the second season, she's my favorite character.

But overall, it's a show about being a small person with no power in a big world and having to eke out whatever living or happiness you can while you're at it, and having to deal with the hardships of life rather than finding some easy escape, because systemic problems or whatever, you gotta deal with the world as presented to you.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Final Space talk: Why is this season so mean to Littlecado God drat!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I enjoyed memory whipping actually working.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I keep wanting to hate Tribor cause he's one of those characters that never seems to add anything, but I just can't do it, he just keeps hitting the right note.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Anora posted:

I keep wanting to hate Tribor cause he's one of those characters that never seems to add anything, but I just can't do it, he just keeps hitting the right note.

Their spot in the opening gets me every time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

Yeah. Tribor was a little overplayed in the first season I feel, but they've really figured out how to use them wisely. They should by any rights be an annoying distraction yet they're not.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That’s incredibly depressing. I remember her from her DeviantArt days and didn’t realize it was the same person behind Tucca and Bertie. (Which I’ll be honest, I watched a couple of episodes and it didn’t really click.)

More on topic, I enjoyed Cannon Busters and it was cool to see so much black representation in an anime. (Or an anime-styled western show, whatever it is.)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Labes for days posted:

That’s incredibly depressing. I remember her from her DeviantArt days and didn’t realize it was the same person behind Tucca and Bertie. (Which I’ll be honest, I watched a couple of episodes and it didn’t really click.)

Maybe I'm misreading what you said, but Coelasquid isn't the tuca and bertie person, she's just taking about her own experiences as insight

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never thought of the "men can't control themselves around women" argument from the perspective of a guy who can personally control himself, but wants to protect powerful executives who he knows will choose not to control themselves.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Maybe I'm misreading what you said, but Coelasquid isn't the tuca and bertie person, she's just taking about her own experiences as insight

Ah nope, I’m misreading what she said. I thought they WERE someone different and that’s why I found it surprising.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Speaking of one-season Netflix animation, was there any news on Castlevania or is that left hanging as well?

Surprised they were setting stuff up, thought they might do a Blackadder thing and timeskip after each season to the next generation of Belmonts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They released a second season like a year ago now

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Milo and POTUS posted:

They released a second season like a year ago now

Season 1 being a short season and forming a complete story with 2 makes a lot of people lump the two together. He's asking about season 3, which I'm also unclear on the status of.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
The Boondocks are back...on HBO Max. And it's a reboot.

https://boingboing.net/2019/09/18/the-boondocks-is-back-com.html

Don't know what this means for Adult Swim. They might be in trouble.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if they're just not planning on doing 30-minute shows anymore. Everything seems to be 10 15-minute episode orders now. Final Space was kind of a special add-on. They're still doing a season of Black Jesus, so I assume McGruder's not pissed at them.

There's also a lot of rumors that Adult Swim is barely holding off losing its independence as the other Turner networks get merged together.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

No.1 Special posted:

The Boondocks are back...on HBO Max. And it's a reboot.

https://boingboing.net/2019/09/18/the-boondocks-is-back-com.html

Don't know what this means for Adult Swim. They might be in trouble.

iirc The Boondocks was never something Adult Swim 100% owned so HBO probably just offered the other rights holders a bigger dump truck of money

I don't think there's any bad blood there or anything, and I don't even think it's a runtime thing since Rick and Morty is 30min and they greenlit a billion more seasons of that

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

iirc The Boondocks was never something Adult Swim 100% owned so HBO probably just offered the other rights holders a bigger dump truck of money

I don't think there's any bad blood there or anything, and I don't even think it's a runtime thing since Rick and Morty is 30min and they greenlit a billion more seasons of that

HBO and Adult Swim exist under the same company, it's just internal politics. I think recently there was some reorganization in WarnerMedia to avoid having shows compete internally against each other and thus you might see more former Adult Swim properties moved over to HBO Max. There's been a persistent rumor that Close Enough will also finally premiere on there, after TBS ended up... not doing anything with it, but who knows.

That said, CN and AS are both moving towards exclusively producing 15 minute shows, and Disney seems to be doing the same. It's not a new trend, but it does suck for shows like Infinity Train that desperately needed the extra runtime per episode to avoid feeling so cramped. Longer running shows like R&M getting renewed at the old 30 min standard doesn't really mean anything - it's not like they're gonna screw with a so far successful formula.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand, if they were transitioning AS to 15 minute blocks entirely and moving half-hour projects to HBO Max, moving R&M to HBO Max would be a loving massive feather in that service's cap.

It would also probably be the pulled Jenga block that makes the entire Williams Street tower collapse, since I gather R&M and Dragon Ball Super are almost literally the only two things on the block with any notable viewership, which might be why they're not doing it.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
The main reason I think Adult Swim is in trouble is because aside from Rick and Morty and Venture Bros they don't have that many popular shows. And it looks especially not great since they're going to lose Family Guy and Bob's Burgers reruns to FXX due to the Disney buyout. If The Boondocks don't come to Adult Swim, they might not have that many shows to prop them up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I still have doubts about Disney holding onto Family Guy, I figure they'll probably sell it off to Time-Warner if they can get a good price for it

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
You would think that, but The Simpsons, a show with more than a few sex and suicide jokes, is going to part of the premier lineup for Disney+. Family Guy may be more overtly raunchy, but I think it's a part if Disney's new wing of Adult content, a.k.a. their Hulu wing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SomeJazzyRat posted:

You would think that, but The Simpsons, a show with more than a few sex and suicide jokes, is going to part of the premier lineup for Disney+. Family Guy may be more overtly raunchy, but I think it's a part if Disney's new wing of Adult content, a.k.a. their Hulu wing.

Actually my thoughts about that are because of how often Family Guy has made very blatant and crude attacks on not only Disney the company, but also Walt Disney himself, and Disney is very protective of his image normally

So I figure they'll either sell it or bury it as much as possible

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Actually my thoughts about that are because of how often Family Guy has made very blatant and crude attacks on not only Disney the company, but also Walt Disney himself, and Disney is very protective of his image normally

So I figure they'll either sell it or bury it as much as possible

No way. Regardless of its very debatable quality, Family Guy is incredibly popular, so I imagine somehow they'll grin and bear the jokes while they take the tons of money FG is worth and dump it in the McDuck-ian money bin.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Simpsons and Rick & Morty producer J Michael Mendel has passed away. :smith:

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

It's hard to believe that Netflix canceled Bojack.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

thelaughingman posted:

It's hard to believe that Netflix canceled Bojack.

Aaron Paul actually said they didn't after the comments the media has ran away with. The creators planned to end it this season long before they unionized, according to him.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

why does the lady on meet the harts know jesus

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

why does the lady on meet the harts know jesus

Maybe that’s explained in the first episode. For whatever reason they started with episode 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Bob's Burgers was nice and sweet. Haven't seen Bless the Hearts.