Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Currently watching through Final Space (it’s a Netflix show in the UK), and boy, it sure takes a right turn in Episode 6, huh?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

J-Spot posted:

I think I got to around episode 4 or 5 before I decided it wasn't holding my interest. Did I bow out just before it gets good?

It wasn’t really holding my interest much either, but my bf made me stick with it till then, and it does start taking itself much more seriously from a very specific point onwards (in ep 6).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Just to cover the bases, does this thread also cover animated movies?

There’s an animation thread in CD here, but obviously there’s going to be a little overlap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Probably because no-one watched it? Netflix could have got behind it more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Simpsons and Rick & Morty producer J Michael Mendel has passed away. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Harley Quinn show is continuing to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Also, this is the first time I think I've ever enjoyed Poison Ivy. Usually her character is so one note it's embarrassing, but her world weary big city girl routine is just great.

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/xeiphaar/status/1206210580585078784

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tuca & Bertie revived at Adult Swim.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1263872025426190337

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 23, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mike Henry will no longer voice Cleveland and the same is happening on The Simpsons

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Does Mike Judge get residuals for Daria stuff?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d say Zim revived better than Rocko.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Android Blues posted:

It's funny how many shows seem to be cargo culting Rick & Morty's animation style (without all the difficult, fluid bits) after Rick & Morty became a massive hit.

I think you’ll find they’re all copying the Regular Show style. :smugbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What did they do between creating seasons, because that seems like a lot of downtime.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You would be very wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but do they address the “what if you poop in the holodeck, does O’Brien have to go in and clean it up” question

Yes, and it’s a literally 2 second bit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Huh, 839 is the Animator's Union.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New Animaniacs is weird. It’s incredibly political in a way that I have no idea who the target audience is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Art Deco-esque animation on the Pinky and Brain opening is gorgeous and really harks back to the 90s and its era of warm animation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I liked the new Mareceline Adventure Time episode. A lot of sweet character moments, and interesting flashbacks. Also grown up Finn!

...hanging out in a van with Jake’s granddaughter felt really weird

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I think there's a setting to stop autoplaying previews.
Otherwise, yeah, I would just mute my sound system until I was ready.

I'd also like it if I click on something it brings up info about it (premise, episodes, etc) rather than it just starts playing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trailer for Invincible, on Amazon Prime from March 26th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfAVpuko5o

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Turning a character from the plucky kid or the comic relief into the voice of wisdom and experience in this way is such a cool idea that I’m shocked literally every writer on the planet has failed to capitalize on it.

Third Rock from the Sun had Tommy (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) actually be the oldest of the crew but they fell back on teen tropes all the time because the alien was a horny old man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fox doesn’t own American Dad any more since the move to TBS.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Actually they still did(and thus Disney now owns it), TBS only bought the broadcasting rights for it

Ohhh ok! Roger is a Disney Princess confirmed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I actually recently rediscovered American Dad

We have a thread! Come join us, fellow Dadder!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And now I'm sadder.

I've got 2 episodes still to watch of S4, and then it'll be over. For now. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

3 eps into The Great North, enjoying it so far.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Does the Great North need its own thread? I want to complain how lacklustre it is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Can't you just do that here? Also I agree with you, but I did like the vibes of the final episode:

Everyone is terrified that the estranged mother is going to show up and ruin the wedding, but she doesn't show up and the wedding is perfect but they're left with a kind of slight sadness that the terrible mom didn't even bother to come. Like, yeah, that's a mood. Not wanting a horrible parent around, then feeling sad when they're not around because it's a reminder that they just don't care. But instead of focusing on that you focuses on all the people in your life who did show up because they love you and you can share your happiness with them.

Also, Duncanville continues to be good. The most recent episode revolving around telling your dad to gently caress off was surprisingly sweet and wholesome.

I've only watched Great North up to the bigfoot episode so far (ep 8). It's not exactly been funny so far, and there's never any real challenges the characters face, but I appreciate the near relentless dumb optimism they all have. I think the best bit so far was Ham's recollections of seeing Shrek. I did point out to my housemate that the 'quirky small Alaskan town full of nutcases' thing means this show is just an animated Northern Exposure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If you don't mind reading your cartoons I suggest checking out the comic Megg Mogg and Owl.

What the gently caress. That's certainly a departure from the source material.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God, that was loving abysmal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeeeah Gumball and Marshall Lee!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You know there’s a whole R&M thread?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

readingatwork posted:

I think Alex Hirch is the show runner so I’m pretty excited for this one.

Inside Job comes from Gravity Falls writer Shion Takeuchi, with Alex Hirsch serving as co-executive producer.

The hidden frame in the trailer gives the telephone number 475-COGNITO (264-6486). It plays a recorded message with a backwards clip. Classic Hirsch!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Sometimes I wish I had an Old Hollywood Primer for all of the cartoons I watched as a kid that expected my to know who, for example, Morey Amsterdam was. It's a hell of a lot easier now that I have internet and Wikipedia but even when I was little I knew I was getting maybe 1/3 of the jokes in Tiny Toons/Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain.

I remember Animaniacs pulling incredibly old Hollywood refs a lot. It’s easier these days being able to google who Slappy was talking about, but back then? “You remind of a young Lionel Hampton.” is going over my head.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PicklePants posted:

It's also nice to see Bobby Lee getting some work.

Dude looks like he’s been living under the overpass since Madtv ended.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oof, The Great North has not been good so far this season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

What happened?

Yeah, what Omoly said. Whatever charm it had in the 1st season has seemingly evaporated.

The most recent ep had Ham be a challenge to everyone’s goals for no goddamn reason, and it just felt like why?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ugh, I just said a bunch of negative things about The Great North and then they had to go and air a pretty good episode and now I feel kind of bad about it.

A big part of the reason is was good is because Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally are great voice actors with great chemistry and in the most recent episode they had a b-plot together that made me wonder "Why can't the whole show just be this?"

Nah, both our thoughts on the first few eps of this season were valid. It was a run of really duff episodes, and I’m glad to hear there’s a good one now. Something to watch later on! :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Boy, they sure did draw a lot of penises for that dating app episode of Inside Job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Centaurworld is already over?