Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fabulousity posted:

Final Space was beautifully animated and had some great voice work other than Olan Roger's constant exasperated howling as Gary. Couldn't make it through the season on the first go around but maybe I'll give it another look since it got a second.

The tonal whiplash on this show just killed it for me. The main plot is a rather dark story about a sadistic alien trying to destroy the universe, it's played as completely straight and real and almost every character involved is a serious militaristic-type who risks their life every episode... and into all this the show centers itself around Gary, who is basically a manic crazy person on cocaine. He's more exaggerated and energetic than anything you'd see in, say, Futurama, to the point that I kept feeling like he'd fit right into an actual children's cartoon, the kind where every single moment has to have something exciting or the 4-year-olds will lose interest. It's just so out-of-place next to everyone else and everything that's happening. It makes the entire world ring false to some degree, because why on earth are Gwen and Avocato working with him? He's obviously an insane person that needs to be locked up somewhere he can be medicated and have constant supervision, no one should be trusting him with a jetpack or a laser pistol.

I mean, I guess that's the joke, but it just made the world itself seem inconsistent. Fry can be a goofy idiot and still succeed in Futurama's world because everything there is a little goofy too. In Future Space's world, Gary would have been literally committed years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The Ultimate Doge posted:

The guy who made that show is into scat and it shows

Did you meet him at the convention?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Anora posted:

Is episode 13 of Final Space it for this season?

Did it finish? How was this season? I heard the creator was taking the criticism he'd received and was going to start toning down Gary, but I didn't want to give it another shot til I'd heard some reviews.