Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I honestly think this was the moment I realized the Simpsons was well and truly dead and there was no coming back for it. Just the most pandering type of thing that classic era Simpsons would have roasted the hell out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1bojs7UAKQ

Finding out they gave Sideshow Bob actual superpowers through genetic experimentation is probably up there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

What the gently caress?

I'm so sorry.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/The_Man_Who_Grew_Too_Much

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Come And See posted:

For me it was when a panda raped Homer. And then Marge raped Homer.

I had honestly managed to forget those. :negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Flight of Dragons goddamn owns.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

pixaal posted:

Poison Ivy did nothing wrong

You're goddamn right. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

readingatwork posted:

This is a problem with a LOT of villains motivated by real problems. In a sane world Poison Ivy would be the hero of her own comic where she fights polluting villains Captain Planet style, but since she was put into the role of villain the writers need to have her do SOMETHING to justify the Batman stopping her so we get plotlines of her blowing up an orphanage because the kids are littering or something.

Also: A Poison Ivy comic sounds rad. DC please make this.

It’s only flaw is that it chickens out of being overtly gay in the last moment (and I suspect the writers wanted to go there but were told no). It’s a genuinely amazing film.

The Poison Ivy fanbase has been asking for DC to let her go full antihero and get her own comic for years now but DC doesn't want to do it despite her colleagues and friends in Harley and Catwoman both having made the jump from villain to antihero and both getting their own books. It's a shame honestly.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Yeah the real problem is that when Ivy (or other ecoterrotist villains) start attacking, they just attack some grunts on the bottom of the corporate ladder kinda like that R&M episode, not CEOs or whoever actually gave the order to level a forest or whatever.

Ivy is the coolest. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The thing I've always found confusing is why they never revisited it to do a complete adaptation.

Akira is such a sacred cow that no one wants to touch it. Attempting to do a remake or a re-adaptation of Akira would be crazy, and it didn't have the proper time and budget it needed, it would most certainly fall on it's face and be endlessly mocked and criticized for years to come.

By the way it was announced in 2019 that Akira is getting a new anime project. Godspeed, you crazy bastards.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

*will slap anyone who suggests Snot, not because I have anything against Steve being gay or bi mind you, I just loathe Snot and the rest of Steve's friends

Speaking of Steve's friends, when's the last time they've done anything with evil Barry?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I don't watch American Dad, is the fish still in it? Does he like... do anything

edit: Oh the post above me literally mentions the fish. I just couldn't imagine how much material you could even get out of that character

More material than you could get out of a koala!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Like when Simpsons makes a joke about Peter being like Homer, they usually package it in a way that feels like they're joking, like Peter showing up amongst all the homer clones or the plagiarismo/plagiarismo di plagiarismo joke. I would say it's the same the other way too, Family Guy has a ton of jokes about the Simpsons, and they seem generally good natured.

I dunno if Quagmire sexually assaulting Marge and then murdering the entire Simpson family could really be called 'good-natured' but that's just me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Family Guy is just a spiteful, hateful, offensive show on nearly every level and the fact it's still on air is even more baffling to me than the Simpsons still being alive.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

You can even see it in the animation. How many "jokes" on Family Guy are delivered by a character staring off into the distance, eyes half-closed, expressionless? It's not just a depressing show, it's a depressed show.

I honestly wonder if anyone working on the show even enjoys their work.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj5YCEfG8Zc

This is from 2018. I watched this as it was aired and just felt confused and sad about the whole thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

American Dad has no right being as good as it is honestly.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s been at least 5 years since I was up to date on Family Guy but I have rewatched the Cleveland show every 6 months since it was first on, I just think it’s the funniest shot ever and it cracks me up just as much on my 10th viewing as it did on my first. American Dad is also really good, but I think it takes until S4-5 to really come into itself. The Cleveland Show is exactly tuned into itself from the jump and just has 3 solid seasons.

The Cleveland Show is shockingly solid too. I still think it's weird that Cleveland of all characters is the one that ended up with the spinoff though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Warbird posted:

Got some bad news for anyone holding out for a Duckman remake.

...well? What is it?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think adult swim is still mostly a good money generated. maybe poo poo like "my momma called me sheriff" catches a bullet but alot of the stuff have big enough money or views/clicks that it will hopefully survive.

Mr. Pickles/Momma Named me Sheriff getting tossed into the vault and never seeing the light of day again would be like the one upside to all of this bullshit, I feel.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

'We can't have Scooby because this is an adult show' or whatever is really dumb. Having Scooby around didn't stop the Supernatural crossover from happening. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Does Family Guy still have the old next door neighbor who is a pedophile? I had a friend tell me a long time ago that only Seth Mcfarlane is skilled enough that we will laugh at an obvious pedophile. I'll admit it was a little funny at first but very quickly wore out its welcome.

I also hated the episode where they "redeemed" him by having him fight someone he has the moral high ground on, a pedohpile that is also a nazi.

Also when it comes to making a pedophile funny or humanized no one will beat the Venture Brothers. Sgt. Hatred is still one of my favorite characters and I'm so glad he got the help he so desperately wanted.

Herbert is still in the show, yes.

Quagmire is also still in the show.

gently caress Family Guy, basically.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

youtube clips, that shows the defintion of hit and miss. its either kinda funny/clever or its dog poo poo.

for example the worst one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34w4KBBQ0_w

It's been like five years and I'm STILL loving mad.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The thing that really gets me is that they actually used the Homestar models/animation instead of using lovely figures like they do for everything else. Like, THIS was the one thing you actually bothered going on-model for? I would be less upset if they had used some kind of figures for it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

no robot chicken is unwatchable

Hi Mr. Macfarlane, wasn't expecting to see you in the thread today.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLCH2DoMZo

They should have worked a Tiny Toon in here too. :allears:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ1oZ58Y_FA

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Who all did Roiland voice? Rick, Morty, Poopybutthole, Meeseeks. Am I forgetting anyone else notable?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Teen Titans Go is great and way better than it has any right to be and I'll keep hyping it up and trying to get people to watch it and oh the De La Soul episode is kind of incredible and wonderful.

https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/de-la-soul-teen-titans-go-streaming-rights-tommy-boy.html

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Warbird posted:

Motherfucking what?

Not only that but he did a remix of the rap the Titans perform to open the movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBQkkotcEME

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Listen, Teen Titans Go is loving wild.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That's not the end, that's like the halfway point of the movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

The Teen Titans Go movie is so great

It's so loving good. It has my absolute favorite Stan Lee cameo. :allears:

You can tell that everyone working on the movie just had a wild time making it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

the core message of the books is ultimately that scott's a dick

Yeah spoilers for the last book but Scott ends up looking back at like all the big moments in his life and realizing that he is a jerk and a bully and really just the biggest goddamn rear end in a top hat around and has to come to terms with that and it would be really nice if the anime sticks closer to the comic *especially* the final volume.

Sivart13 posted:

the approach best matches the 2020s zeitgeist is to give it the FF7 Remake treatment where the timeline is fractured and various Scotts and Gideons and what have you are battling it out amongst infinite Ramonas in the multiverse

not saying that's what's gonna happen but 🤔

Nothing should ever get the FF7 Remake treatment. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess the Transformers comics were highly regarded back in ye olden days. Right up until they got cancelled when the story was in a very dumb and extremely 90s place.

Last I checked, Transformers comics of the modern era are still pretty well regarded.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

There are shows that would kill to have a single finale as good as any of Futurama's four. It's unfair, I tell ya.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Warbird posted:

Oh man, the 4AM Pudding was a vibe for a good bit for me. It turned into a weirdly wholesome self help thing on /v/ something like a decade ago. It helped that they co-opted that Protomen song what whipped rear end.

I’m also realizing just now that the Protomen are just less successful GWAR comprised of somehow even bigger dorks.

Act III never… :negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I just started watching Adventure Time myself over this past weekend, I'm a few episodes into season two. I think the last episode I saw was Crystals Have Power?

City of Thieves has been my favorite episode so far but goddamn, the stupid horse episode made me laugh the hardest. That stupid loving face almost made me fall off the couch laughing at it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Look at this stupid goddamn thing I love it so much.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Just curious, do we have a dedicated Adventure Time thread?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

Wait wait wait

They showed Made in the Abyss on american tv???

It aired on fuckin' Toonami, even.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Caros posted:

Thank you for posting this. I was so loving confused why people hated this series so much and how I somehow missed all of these undertones.

Only to realize I was thinking Promised Neverland. Whoops.

I honestly hope one day they actually give us a season two for The Promised Neverland. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

A proper Season 2.

Season two at all. For some reason they did the first season and then just never finished it. A shame, really.