Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

readingatwork posted:

Agreed. They seem to be leaning into the more serious elements a bit more this season which is working for me. Also I got a pretty good laugh out of Gary narrating to us that people find him annoying on Reddit.

Yeah, Gary has been toned down just enough to actually work this season I feel.

It also helps that there are other core characters for him to bounce off of now. Both of the kids are great and Clarence manages to be likable and detestable at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Edit: I feel like Garry and his whole deal was basically a trojan horse, giving the series the perception of a regular Adult Animation comedy when it's really a semi-serious space opera. Season 1 opening Garry was pretty much Horny Space Peter Griffin, Season 2 opening is basically dumbass Han Solo. The bit in the season 1 finale where they revisit the guy who was knocked out is a pretty good encapsulation in how the show grew and allowed to evolve into something a lot more promising than the pilot/first episode.

I feel Gary's start is also very important to the story even if he's quite grating, He's not a smart person but he does actually grow throughout the season a bit. He goes from someone with delusions of grandeur to somehow who, while still a bit full of himself, is making an effort to be a better person. Gary is a flawed person, but the show builds him up enough over time that you still root for him in the end.

The first season also had the issue with it was Gary and HUE carrying it with other characters dropping in and out. Season 2 has greatly benefited from Gary having a much larger regular cast to bounce off of as I mentioned before.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah FS is a solid show. It's like a space dramedy and it's pretty as hell.

Season one starts off a bit rough but when the plot kicks into gear it's great.

Season two has been great from the start as they've managed to polish a lot of the rougher edges.

I did not see the end of episode four coming. What a gut punch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

I've heard speculation it's retaliation against the production studio for unionizing.

It's probably a combination of this and the algorithm screwing the show. It was hardly promoted.

I also suspect the next season of Bojack will end up being the last due to the union thing too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

I keep wanting to hate Tribor cause he's one of those characters that never seems to add anything, but I just can't do it, he just keeps hitting the right note.

Yeah. Tribor was a little overplayed in the first season I feel, but they've really figured out how to use them wisely. They should by any rights be an annoying distraction yet they're not.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

thelaughingman posted:

It's hard to believe that Netflix canceled Bojack.

Aaron Paul actually said they didn't after the comments the media has ran away with. The creators planned to end it this season long before they unionized, according to him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yes that was the finale. Season 3 is looking extremely likely based on the creator's recent comments.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Did it finish? How was this season? I heard the creator was taking the criticism he'd received and was going to start toning down Gary, but I didn't want to give it another shot til I'd heard some reviews.

Season 2 was basically the second half of season 1 polished up even more and I mean that in a good way. It's much more story heavy, heavier on the darker drama without losing out on the comedy and the expanded cast really really works to its benefit. Gary has also definitely improved. He's both grown a bit and simply works a lot better when he has a lot of folks to bounce off of.

One thing I really like about Final Space is that it manages to go very dark places with its story and yet it doesn't feel cynical like a lot of modern darker drama.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Season 1 is pretty rough for about the first half of it but gets better the more it focuses on the central plot and other characters besides Gary.

Season 2 is a massive improvement right from the start. Even Gary becomes a likable character in it.

Edit: \/ well a big part of Gary in the first season is he's gone a bit nuts from isolation. He gets better the more he deals with other people but it takes time.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 16, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PicklePants posted:

Nah. Ivy's got a place and is letting Harley crash. They're friends, really close friends, it seems, but they haven't hinted at anything romantic at all.

It feels like they're leaving that open for the future, maybe, but it's not the focus of this season at the very least. Ivy is such a wonderful "straight woman" to Harley's antics and the general bizarro world of the Legion.

Especially love how the last episode was extremely on the nose that Ivy is hard to see as a true villain nowadays. With our climate issues she's more of an anti hero.

I am amazed at how consistently funny HQ the show is. I kind of want these versions of Clayface and Man Shark to be the new canon ones going forwards.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 28, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

Has there been any word on season 3 for Final Space?

The creator has basically confirmed season 3 has the greenlight and is in development but no official announcements yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, what? What the gently caress why did Tim ad Eric do that?!

Just ratings as far as I know. Tim and Eric stuff was far cheaper to make.

I actually didn't mind Tom Goes to the Mayor, but I didn't care for anything else they've made.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 21, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I Am Fowl posted:

Hell, Rocko even had a decent movie return.

Zim too surprisingly. At the same time I'm quite happy with those being fond farewells to their franchises.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Apparently it moved to the GameTap service which funded new episodes.

The show only actually died with that service in 2008.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s just weird, I’m having a hard time remembering another property that went from being a fullbore social phenomenon to just quietly fading out of existence, Adventure Time was absolutely everywhere for like 4-5 years and then it just disappeared

Steven Universe just kinda came along and took a lot of its thunder.

AT also grew up with its audience meaning it wasn't attracting new younger viewers. Shows that do that have a limited shelf life in general

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

Final Space is also on Netflix here but I haven't been interested in it. Maybe I'll check it out, along with that demon show on youtube.

Final Space is an odd one. The main character is grating (purposely so but it makes him hard to watch still) for most of season one and it takes more than half the season for the surprisingly decent (and dark) plot to start.

Season two is an improvement from the start and is more of an ensemble which makes Gary much better.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The even more egregious one from Star Trek is O'Brian going through a prison sentence where he's subjected to years of torture in a simulation yet seems perfectly fine most episodes after.

Picard's alternate life experience was at least warm.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think it's that season 1's episodes were written for 22 minutes then were forced to condense their stories to 11 while season 2 was written with the runtime in mind.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It had been building for a while.

What's awkward is there's a lot to resolve next episode considering there's no word on a next season.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Final Space is dead due to the upcoming TBS merger with Time Warner

https://youtu.be/bFg3ljZF2kA

Kind of nice the creator can be so frank about it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there some legal issue that prevents him from just Kickstarting another season down the road? Crowdsourcing your content has been a thing for at least 10 years at this point.

He makes it sound like they're not sure how the rights will shake out currently.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyone know if it's getting a second season?

Kether Donohue (Gilliam's VA) confirmed in October that it was renewed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sardonik posted:

Anyone else watching Netflix' Inside Job? I was genuinely not expecting to like it this much. Not every joke lands but there's some very solid ones there even in the first episode.

The first episode is okay but it really hits it's stride by the end so I'm hopeful season two keeps up that quality.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hexmage-SA posted:

What percentage of the stuff that has aged badly has to do with Dr. Girlfriend? I'm guessing a lot.

Stuff in her earlier episodes can be pretty bad yeah. The show does grow out of it after the first couple seasons though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

secretly best girl posted:

Once upon a time I would have been excited for this but Disenchantment has stripped me of the ability to hope for this.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the Animaniacs magic hits twice, maybe Hulu is the spice.

They're apparently bringing back a bunch of the writing team that was absent during the Comedy Central revival (and who aren't on Disenchantment) so I have SOME hope.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm honestly leaning towards this being a stunt to boost the announcement at this point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah Disenchantment was the same way. The four seasons were ordered in two batches.

Sadly I think they learned this from what happened during Bojack.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ups_rail posted:

So its like adultswim is making new ATHF shorts on youtube....what the hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGiUeUuRsf0

There's an ATHF TV special that's supposed to air this summer. Guessing this is to ramp up hype for that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUvHDFzk7E0

This song gets stuck in my head alot.

A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful MAJEEEEESTICCCCC...

That whole episode is just so good. It's extremely heartfelt and full of great jokes at the same time.

It's also so detached from the usual American Dad setup that it almost feels like a short film.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Man I hate Big Mouth but I'm pretty sure I've seen some of his standup and he was a talented guy. Tragic news.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Has there been any good news from this merger at all? It seems to be an unmitigated failure across the board, every piece of news has been about the vast swathes of literally loving everything that is being cut and basically everyone is furious with them for one reason or another.

The new CEO is dedicated to "uncancelling" JK Rowling so there's that...

(Nothing good has come or will ever come from this merger)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Man so many of those deserved better.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah Close Enough is not for kids. It's pretty funny though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Close Enough has deals with other streaming services so it might stay until those expire.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah this more nuanced and human Joker is a lot of fun.

It's also so surprising given how he was in season one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

final space got double whammied by being canceled on a "bad guy wins, everything's doomed" cliffhanger

i never took an interest in the series but that always sucks to see

It also survived one possible merger cancellation only to die to a second.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah a lot of people recommend skipping the first 2-3 episodes because it starts pretty rough (especially the pilot where it's trying too hard to be Rick and Morty with the humor) but it's great once it settles in.

They manage to walk a good line between telling actual Star Trek stories but with humor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Colbert genuinely enjoys it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

I caught some Mitchell and Webb the other day, and they were making jokes about Velma being a lesbian back in the 90s. I wonder if there's something about her design that lends her to queer readings; but yeah, it's certainly been something people have been thinking about for decades.

Mystery Inc was supposed to go harder into it in the second season as well but unfortunately was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

Mystery Inc wasn't cancelled. It ran 52 episodes completing its entire intended story arc, including Velma's love interest as far as american television animation before Obergefell could possibly hope to.

Guess what I read in an interview was hopes for a season 3.