Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hello fellow goons. I'm not great at making long, drawn out thread OPs so let's just dive in shall we?

This is the thread you use to discuss the following:
  • Animated series appearing on TV.
  • Animates series appearing on streaming services.
  • Animated series appearing on YouTube or other digital platforms.

What we do not discuss here:

Do you have any recommendations?

I'm really enjoying Camp Camp right now. It's got a good (if not terribly subtle) sense of humor and has better character development than most mainstream shows on actual TV. Watching Max get dragged kicking and screaming into respecting David is very :allears:.

You can watch most of it for free on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGAswTnJgkc

Gary and His Demons is pretty great. It's about the adventures of the Chosen One destined to fend off the forces of darkness only now he's old and bitter and has all sorts of mid-life issues. I'm going to be super pissed if there's not a season 2.

You can find it on Vrv but Episode 1 is on YouTube for free: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_b16qK6lg4

I'm apparently the only person on the internet that liked Final Space but it's my thread so I'm going to give it a shout out here.

You can find it on Hulu and apparently Adult Swim is going to/is already airing it. No free episodes though :(

So what already has a thread?

Here are the shows I know for a fact already have active threads:
American Dad
The Venture Brothers
Tuca and Bertie/Bojack Horseman
Castlevania
King of the Hill
Some cartoon nobody watches about a boy and his alcoholic grandpa

If I missed any big ones let me know and I'll add them to this list. The rest either don't have threads or the ones that existed are old and have fallen off the map so I claim them for my own. MANIFEST DESTINY, MUTHA'FUCKAS!

Also recommended:

the Toonami thread for all your couch surfing at 3AM while stoned needs.

Enjoy!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty good opening post, should include links to the threads for shows that have them already though, also maybe a link to the Toonami discussion thread as well since it's basically adjacent to this thread due to Adult Swim being where a large percent of this thread's shows air

Done.

So here's a question. Is The Shivering Truth a good show? I honestly can't tell. It feels way too unstructured and it's attempts at comedy don't work most of the time so I'm tempted to file it under "bad" but drat does it nail it's atmosphere and visuals sometimes. Taken in a vacuum a lot of the mini-segments would make for some genuinely terrifying short films if played straight like this one of a kid who can hear things happening at the ocean though a seashell (the things happening are people being murdered).

Also: Have this GAHD ending credits gif I didn't end up using in the OP:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

You missed the King of The Hill thread

Fixed.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Fabulousity posted:

Whoa, I forgot all about Ugly Americans. That show is almost ten years old now :stare: Kurt Metzger as basically Undead Bender was great. Callie and Leonard also great. First season Twayne as a malicious all powerful demon middle manager muzzled only by HR and office environment social norms was also great. Season two Twayne as a mewling momma's boy not very great. Either way the show deserved more seasons than it got.

On a different note how about Mike Tyson's Mysteries? I guess adding Mike Tyson to something like Scooby Doo could only ever elevate it to pure art. Apparently he ad libs some of the dialogue but I have no idea how much.

It's surprisingly enjoyable. Though I'm a sucker for anything with Norm McDonnald in it so I'm biassed.

Also Ugly Americans kicked rear end and is tragically underappreciated.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dammit I forgot how much I loved that show back in the day. Now I have another series I need to rewatch...

muscles like this! posted:

The best part of the Tigtone pilot is that it was 5 years between the pilot being made and the show starting. Which means that yes, Tigtone was totally allowed to use his power to command animals again.

I'm literally just now learning about this show and

1) Holy poo poo that's a weird way to animate faces

2) I laughed out loud several times watching the pilot

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Anyone watch Ballmastrz: 9009 last year?

I did! I was kind of surprised to find it wasn’t so much a parody of shounen/sports anime but just, you know, a straight shounen/sports anime with an Adult Swim tone and a post-apocalyptic coat of paint. I dug it though and would watch the hell out of a second season.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1142208392339034112

Hell yeah!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

The new episode of Final Space was good.

Agreed. They seem to be leaning into the more serious elements a bit more this season which is working for me. Also I got a pretty good laugh out of Gary narrating to us that people find him annoying on Reddit.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

YES, MORE QUESTS! Tigtone was renewed for s2! (Also Ballmastrz)

Yay! :dance:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

So because I was reminded that it existed, I went and watched some of "Peepoodo & The Super gently caress Friends" and it might just be one of the most depraved shows I've ever seen, and yet it's oddly sweet at times too

That was way more animal genitalia than I was expecting but I like the pro assplay message so I'm calling it good for now.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
This season of Final Space is great.

*a man dies horribly at his own wedding*

HUE: *tosses rice* “There. Now the birds will die too”

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress!?

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1154150458266570755?s=21

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

It's probably a combination of this and the algorithm screwing the show. It was hardly promoted.

I also suspect the next season of Bojack will end up being the last due to the union thing too.

Good. That means I'll finally be able to drop my Netflix subscription and save a few bucks a month.

Somewhat related: Finished S2 of Aggretsuko. I love the characters but I wish so badly that it were even slightly subversive. It presents itself as a satire of modern living but then goes out of it's way to reaffirm everything bad in Retsuko's life. Her literal sexist pig of a boss is actually a big softie inside and just really wants her to succeed. Her insane coworker just needed a little reassurance. Her soul sucking abusive job is actaully something she loves and chooses it over the opportunity to do literally whatever she wanted with unlimited funds at her disposal. I mean what the gently caress show!?

Also, I really hated the by-the-book way the show handled the topic of marriage this season. For those who haven't seen it the season opens with her mom giving Retsuko poo poo for not dating. Then while getting a driver's license (which is apparently a big enough deal in Japan to warrant putting it on a resume) she ends up dating a super-nice slacker guy who turns out to be a tech startup billionaire. The catch is that he doesn't want to get married or have kids. Ultimately she dumps him because she realizes that that marriage is something she does want after all. This is fine I guess but I really wish the show would have done it the other way around. Imagine if the billionaire slacker guy was the one who wanted kids and the relationship ends because Ritsuko decides it's not something she wants. Now you have a show that tells women that it's OK to choose your own path and buck society's script for you. But despite being about how bullshit modern living is Aggretsuko isn't interested in upsetting the apple cart at all which is really a bummer.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Final Space talk: Why is this season so mean to Littlecado God drat!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Agreed. BB season 10 is off to a good start.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, I'm hearing Final Space gets better?

I just caught the first episode on TV and it was not good.

Wow, was it not good.

I liked Season 1 but Season 2 is a major tone shift for the better. It's a bit more serious and the comedy is a lot stronger. They also tone Gary down quite a bit.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yeah OK Primal is pretty drat good.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

I'm in love with Primal right now

Me too, but I am legit mad about what just happened in episode 5 though.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
God damnit I'm going to have to get an HBO Max account. It's looking like they're pandering to the "manchildren who still like cartoons" demographic pretty hard.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
MFKZ just got released on Netflix. gently caress the critics this movie is gorgeous and I love it to death. Definitely worth a look if you like weird anime inspired stuff.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
More Ballmastrz 9009 airing Feb 23! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8hNf_GGxrI

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ballmastrz 9009 continues to be an amazing show.

Ballmastrz is so drat weird. It thinks it's a parody of shounen/sports anime tropes but it doesn't actually know how parody works so it just kind of ends up ~being~ those things. I love those things though, so in the end I love Ballmastrz.

This looks loving amazing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Really disappointed in Midnight Gospel. I was hoping for Adventure Time in the multiverse but instead we get a guy improvising incredibly mundane conversations (that the show thinks are profound) while the animators desperately trying to make it interesting by drawing trippy stuff for 20 mins. There’s no real story or stakes or even jokes really. It’s just two people talking about legalizing drugs while random things happen around them. It’s a shame too because I like the general vibe and art style so this really feels like a missed opportunity.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 20, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ariza posted:

My plan is to get exceptionally high after everyone goes to bed tonight and see what's what. I have a kid, so Adventure Time was amazing compared to the kid's shows that I grew up on. I'm afraid that this'll turn out like everything else once the censorship (wrong word, I know) is pulled away, things go to poo poo without the boundaries.

It’s not that they were allowed to say swears and got lazy, It’s that they didn’t make a real show at all. I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s closer to a podcast than anything else. Which would be fine (I like podcasts) but these particular conversations just aren’t that engaging.

If you need something to scratch the Adventure Time itch see if you can find Bravest Warriors somewhere. It’s another Pen Ward project that has the same weird sense of humor AT had in its earlier seasons but with more polish.

E: Oh. That explains a ton actually.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 20, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoDayLife posted:

the podcast audio is unbearable.

I think this is what it boils down to for me because I’m realizing that I like similar animated podcast projects on YouTube that have basically no budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrAaDZ0gnaA

If MG was the same thing only it used MBMBAM’s audio instead I think I’d still be disappointed (because I want a real show god damnit!) but ultimately on board for the ride.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's 2020 bro. Magic is real.

LOL this nerd thinks something is real and that reality isn’t just the nightmare fever dream of a mad god moments away from death.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

I ended up finishing The Midnight Gospel after stopping after the third episode.
It was worth it to see it through, I'd say.

First off, it's an absolutely gorgeous show where almost every frame is an amazing piece of artwork (and some of the background/character designs are incredible and you see them for like 1 second before they're off the screen).

Secondly, by the mid-point, I was over my initial "what the gently caress are these crazy people talking about" impressions and just let the whole thing wash over me. There are little nuggets of useful philosophy in there (yes, surrounded by a bunch of hippie new-age magical bullshit, but still) that can help a person with anxiety or existential dilemmas. You don't have to be a Buddhist to take the advice they lay out in one episode of letting yourself be "hopeless" and being okay with that when all your delusional "hopes" are doing is ruining your life.

Thirdly, also by the mid-point, they split the difference a bit more on podcast audio vs. original content. One episode (#6) is almost entirely original plot.

I think it's a pretty great experiment and while I still have NO interest in listening to Duncan Trussell's actual podcast, what they made here has a lot of value.

I'm still working through the series but I've seen breakdowns of it's philosophy and I kind of get what it's going for now. Basically as the show progresses Clancy, a person obsessed with the spiritual at the expense of the material, slowly let's his life, relationships and pet multiverse fall apart thorough neglect. Eventually his mom (who is dying of cancer) sets him straight and he learns that true enlightenment is not just drowning in hippie bullshit to avoid the pain of living but also engaging with the messy parts of the world and dealing with it on it's own terms. Which is a much more insightful observation than I thought the show was capable of considering how much it indulges in pop-spirituality bullshit.

I still wish it was a real show though.

Side note: The interview with the guy who claimed he could do magic drove me up the wall. My dude, adding fifty pages of rules to your made up magic system does not make it any more real. I feel bad saying that because he seems like a nice guy who has had it rough but god drat do I hate pseudointelectual nonsense like this.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
There's a new AS cartoon called Tender Touches which is literally just three people ad-libbing a episode over a Zoom call with no retakes allowed. I'm sure the gimmick will get old fast but I'm not going to lie, I found the first episode pretty funny.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Aw yeah, that scratches that Regular Show itch.

That’s putting it mildly. It basically IS Regular Show with human characters (not a bad thing)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
LMAO apparently concerned christian soccer moms randomly discovered Adult Swim and are having a meltdown over it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61wgJI9EA0U
This is the video they're talking about btw.

Lol, that video rules.

Lmao, that’s incredible.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Impermanent posted:

midnight gospel's pretty good to me imo but i don't have astrology conversation induced PTSD like half of you apparently do.

Woo bullshit bugs the poo poo out of me because it’s obviously nonsense but people take it surprisingly seriously (often times dangerously so). At best it’s sad people believing they can do magic so they can feel special but at worst it’s cynical conmen selling your grandmother space crystals as an alternative chemotherapy. Needless to say I have very little patience for any of it.

That said I actually finished MG a while back and it managed to pull itself into “good” territory by the end. The woo is still dumb and annoying but as the show progresses it starts to be more clear that it has more to say than just idle shower thoughts about pop mysticism and if anything is critical of how it’s used as a way to avoid dealing with harsh realities.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

God damnit! 2020's body count just keeps rising. Hopefully somebody like HBO Max will pick up the rights and do a final season at some point.

cartoons123 posted:

Basically create the season, from what I understand it was a 2-person team and all that downtime was just a lot of preparing

It's also my understanding that VB is something of a side-project they do in-between other work.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
AT's fatal flaw was baked into it from the start. It wanted to be both loose and improvisational while having emotional stakes and long term consequences. In practice this resulted in a writing process where nothing was planned out and one writer would put something into play (Princess Bubblegum is now Finn's age!) and then another one would randomly gently caress it up because they had a neat idea for a side story or something (aaaand she's immediately back to normal). This was an issue from the start but became impossible to ignore when Penn left because with his unique sense of humor gone the plot had to stand up under it's own weight and it just... wasn't built to do that. The worst example IMO being Finn losing his arm, getting it back in a random episode about a horny bee, then losing it again later after the writers realized that magically overcoming a disability is kind of lovely.

As you might expect the reason seasons 7 and 8 are better than the previous ones is that they did a better job structuring their plots. Not a perfect job mind you, but significantly better. Honestly this is why I'd be fine with them just releasing hour long specials like the one's we've been getting forever and never having them try to do long term storyline again. The 45 min format is long enough to have plots with some weight behind them but short enough to keep them from shuffling writers without a plan and the results have been fantastic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

But enough about Stephen Universe We Bare Bears(:ninja:)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm still making my way through the new Animaniacs, since I can only do so much at a time. I didn't expect them to get rid of all of the side characters aside from Pinky and the Brain and Ralph. I think the original show had the intent of having a whole original cast like a new Looney Tunes, and they're just leaving it behind. I do like some of the bits where they totally break from the normal show style, but they're hit and miss.

There doesn't seem to be any reference to Yakko, Wakko, and Dot being from the 30s, and the show itself doesn't seem to have the dynamic of the studio trying to lock up the Warners, which is weird, since it's still in the theme song. I guess the idea of wrecking the movie studios probably didn't grab writers' attention as much because Warner Brothers itself as an independent entity is fictional these days, and it's just another victim swallowed up by megacorporations.

It's weird how much the show seems to want to be relevant with current references, seeing as how the original show was so aggressively irrelevant.

Yeah them mostly dropping the extended cast bugs the poo poo out of me too. Though to the creators credit they actually managed to make Chicken Boo work the one time they used him. If they wanted to make him a recurring villain I'd be all for it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

The Great North is real talk-y, like Bob's Burgers, but not real funn-y

I'm kind of digging it. It's not quite as good as Bob's Burgers but it's still decent and it will probably get better over time as the writers find their footing.

They desperately need to reconsider the opening song though. It's kind of cute as a one-and-done but I can't imagine listening to that for 5 more seasons.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Disenchantment is basically medieval Futurama with aggressively mediocre writing. There are a few solid gags here and there but on the whole I found it fairly disappointing. Still going to watch the next batch of episodes though.... :shrug:

Also can confirm that Gary and hid Demons is freakin' fantastic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Disenchanment is way too focused on ~serious plot time~, it's a show that absolutely should not be a serial narrative. You can't have a really silly setting and also focus heavily on an ongoing dramatic plot. The more serious/dramatic episodes of futurama only worked because they were rare.

It's also that the serious plot stuff wasn't handled particularly well. It's too serious to be particularly funny but not serious enough to get invested in so it ends up just kind of falling flat.

It's frustrating because there's a good show in there somewhere if the writers can just pull their head's out of their asses and find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Against all odds season 3 of Disenchantment is decent. Not amazing mind you, but it’s more or less figured out it’s tone and the jokes land more often than they used to. Also there’s a couple more heartfelt scenes that actually land pretty well which was a nice surprise. Definitely worth watching if you were ambivalent on the show before but thought it had potential.