Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's the same reaction I had watching Aggretsuko S2. I was like, whoa I wasn't expecting a sudden turn from "office worker upends social norms by singing death metal" to a full-throated defense of tradwifery, but Japan I guess.

Here's what I found amusing though: I like to watch Aggretsuko with the subtitles on (from the direct Japanese translation) and the audio set to the American voice dub. That way I get to see both the original script and the localizers' spin on things:

Japanese:

"That's our society's bottleneck. I want to restructure our society."

English:

"Late-stage capitalism is such a pain. That's why it's gotta go."

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I was just introduced to Final Space while visiting some friends, and I'm glad there's discussion of it happening here because holy crap I love it. While I agree that there's tonal clashes between the super-seriousness of the premise and the CHOOKITY BOK BOK stuff, I for one love that kind of textural tension. It would be a much less enjoyable show (and more tedious and derivative, frankly) without Gary's wailing and flailing and (especially) his growth. S2 Gary is not the same Gary that kept pining for a cookie.

The main thing anyway (for me) is how goddamn beautiful the animation is though. Even when it's something goofy like Gary staggering down a pile of trash in S2E01, or him careening around the corridor and banging off the walls when he's trying to make one of his video messages to Quinn (if I recall), it's super detailed traditional 2D art that is a genuine joy in this age of 2D feature animation being trampled into a shallow grave by a blitzkrieg of CGI remake revisionism.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's pretty good you guys

Yeah it's ugly but that's kind of the point. But it's the only show I can think of that's trying full-bore to tackle these issues, and in good faith too, not like "isn't all this LGBTQXYZ stuff so ca-raaaa-zay"

Seasons 2/3 are better than S1 too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a very pretty show too, for being goofy post-Family-Guy googly-eye line art tradition

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Charlie is just Minerva Mink or some poo poo

E: holy loving crap look at this poo poo we live in actual unironic hell https://hazbinhotel.fandom.com/wiki/Charlie

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 28, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol @ them dropping "furry" because hey you know

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The idea of the FFFB having a "writing team" is a mindfuck to begin with.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's really not that far removed from Monty Python.

Like the actual show, with all its experimental twists and turns and segues that didn't always work very well, not the fondly manicured compilations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not that the last revisit (under more of John K's control than the original was) was any good either

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Count me among those, even if in retrospect a huge part of it is just the magical memories I forged discovering the show at a host family's house on a band trip in high school. It felt like a whole universe of devil-may-care weirdness opening before me

I'm under no illusions that "more of thing you remember from long ago" is a guaranteed winner. Sometimes it's worked out well, but I feel like this kind of exercise is just tired and not worth the effort anymore.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I seriously wonder how many people started out their journey into adulthood (as I did) feeling personally aggrieved at people like Vanessa Coffey and the kid who burned his house down because Beavis said "fire", for ruining all the rest of our fun. And riding that feeling right on into libertarian/terf/nazi shitheadville

Of course today it's still happening, it's all those anti-SJW gamers seeing the Tiddy Police behind every bush

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm just going by screenshots but my mind keeps going "uhhh is this just Final Space with a logo or"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taear posted:

I've been watching the Futurama reboot - possibly for the first time, I've seen some of the episodes but not many. I think what kills them for me is that they clearly don't care about the character relationships in the way they did previously.
Amy suddenly marrying Bender, Fry and Leela being together then not being over and over. It's just sorta strange.

The episodes are still mostly funny but it's clearly weaker. I especially disliked the nanobender episode because it just kinda ended without a resolution

I wouldn't really even agree that they're funny, by and large. It's like they'd totally forgotten how to do the almost giddy, effortless-seeming character interplay humor that had been their stock in trade. Nu-Futurama brought me no joy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh hey, Aggretsuko S3 is comin'

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I like Yolo just because there's something so appealing about just how UGLY everything is.

Same with things like Superjail, I'm so used to western animation and anime where everything has to be so clean and attractive looking, the grunginess is a nice change of pace.

But maybe I should just turn on my monitor.

Yeah or King Star King.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What's the story behind how Space Ghost just sort of slowly petered out rather than being explicitly cancelled? Did they just like, get tired of doing it but nobody had bothered to actually set up any kind of contractual obligations for delivery of seasons so episodes were finished basically whenever enough people bothered to come to work at the same time or something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah I don’t mean they should make more now or anything, it’s just that in like 2002 it sort of ... faded away with no explanation. Episodes got cheaper looking and farther between and more experimental and weird, and then it was gone like the signal to the satellite had finally dropped leaving us to guess at its fate.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And honestly I think the pilot had more charm and wtf-ability than the actual show, but I haven’t seen much of the latter. Does it find its uh, tone?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I remember finding it at random and wondering what the hell Bill Corbett was doing in a random YouTube video. Didn't know about Mike from RLM, though looking it up it seems like all three of the RLM guys were in it.

I didn't recognize Mike until at the very end when the character is being fed into a fire and he goes OH MY GOOOOD in the Plinkett voice :newlol:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's the goofball wordplay subversion stuff that I have a weakness for.

"Give me a quest, ghost wizard! Or I shall TAKE ONE FROM YOU... BY FORCE!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but do they address the “what if you poop in the holodeck, does O’Brien have to go in and clean it up” question

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Are the voice actors back?

Lest we forget, the animation and about 40% of the content of Animaniacs was garbo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1318985402720669697?s=20

It looks ... pretty good actually? :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I rarely have occasion to write the word "Douchebag" but I always attempt to do so as neatly as possible

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bust Rodd posted:

Just found this thread and I’m digging through from Page 1 for recommendations.

Just wanted to post about Primal. Tartovsky and their team have done something really special and pure with Primal. I am just absolutely haunted by the energy in this show, I feel like I could watch 1,000 episodes and never get bored. When Fang “died” at the end of the E5 and then there were months before any new episodes I was so distraught. I watched 6-7-8 last night and waiting for 9 to unlock and I think this might be my favorite animated non-comedy of all time.

We’ve really experienced a renaissance of cool animated programs but Primal feels like... I dunno, an overall high point of the medium? I just think this show is doing something brilliant and creative and brave and I’m hoping you all like it. I just got to the page where a goon mentions the first episode is coming in soon, so I’m preparing myself for some scorching hot takes.

I'm just starting watching Primal and one of the first things that occurs to me about it is something about animation in general that fascinates me, and always has. But maybe more so lately.

It's about how every single show, every single project has its own unique art style and execution. All the details of design. I'm watching this and thinking that in terms of things like line quality, the way the backgrounds look, the color palette, the music, the way characters move, the way the camera moves — this doesn't feel anything like Samurai Jack or Dexter's Lab. Except, well.... it does but it doesn't, you know?

Like, there are a few little "tells" you can always get by sticking within the work of a single director or studio. There are definitely commonalities across Tartakovsky's stuff. Like about the focus on non-dialogue storytelling, on physical acting, on pacing, on the ratio of action to slow contemplative scenes. Just like, say, you can probably tell when Jhonen Vasquez is involved in a project, or John K, or Lauren Faust, or Adam Reed. Even within Disney Feature Animation, you can tell there's a common visual language and tradition — some things remain constant, like some aspects of character design, scene pacing, the way lines are painted, the lavishness and "realism" of the designs. But from one show to another, when you start up a new project, you're developing an entirely new visual language to tell your story. A new bunch of model sheets, which gives rise to a whole new set of technologies and techniques that all your artists have to learn, to spend months or years with as they bring the germ of the vision to life. It's unheard-of, unthinkable even, to just ape your previous show's visual style and all its support mechanisms. You're basically reinventing everything from scratch every time.

I've been obsessed with the little details of the mechanics of animation for like my entire life, and the more the years go by and the more new shows pop up, I'm more and more impressed by the effort that each team pours into a new project — no matter whether it's a turn-the-crank kiddie afternoon show or a prestige feature, it's always a blank-slate chance for a room full of artists to develop a whole new language, basically from scratch. There will be a few things about the show that will link it undeniably to its director or studio or whatever, but for the most part you're not leveraging a single specific detail of anything you've used before; you're bringing all your talent and all your skills to bear on building a brand-new, never-before-seen languge of expression to life — characters that look like no characters have ever quite looked before, backgrounds that are beautiful in a specific way no backgrounds have been beautiful before, a new way of drawing chins or calves or the wind whipping hair, a brand-new idiosyncratic way to draw the pupil of an eye. Even if the physical geometry and the timing of how that eye narrows looks oddly familiar because of the way the director likes the timing to work or whatever ... it's still nothing like the way any other show has looked, and it has to be that way.

I've always wanted to be an animator. But I also know I wouldn't want to make my hobby into a paycheck, since that's the quickest way to turn a passion into something I hate. (That's how I justify never having actually made it in the field.) But till my dying day I'll be fascinated by just how endlessly inventive the whole field is, just in how big a goal the crew of every single project sets for itself, to make its show something utterly brand-new and unique and recognizable in an instant. How many ways can there possibly be to draw a face? Every time I think they've exhausted all the possibilities, they come up with something so new and by such a margin that I know I'd never have been able to be a part of that industry just because I don't have that kind of imaginative equipment in my head.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's a second season coming.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm actually really interested in the idea that maybe spear is on some sort of "savageland" or something. Ala journey to the center of the earth. Where more advance humans only ever hear about in legend or whatever. Literally grew up on jumanji island with no knowledge of the outside world

Another fish out of water story really.

The slow-burn arc of the full season has been making a thought like this bubble up in my head too: The world of Spear and Fang is not a world that can have been the status quo forever. It is WAY too dangerous for either of them to survive on their own without extraordinary teamups and strength and luck like these two have. The world has been steamrolling them — flattening their respective families, wiping out whole herds of animals, just WAY out-of-proportion brutish to account for any kind of long-term survival by any humans of Spear's kind, or really any of a whole bunch of species we run across. The fact that he was able to raise a family for as long as he had looks like a goddamn miracle.

So what the hell has happened recently? How has the natural balance been thrown so wildly out of whack? Where did this insane tilt of the odds come from? It feels like there is some major reveal yet to come, along the lines of the above, where we find out that as recently as like ten years ago there were significant populations of humans in defensible communities, none of the huge red pack-hunting theropods that we met in the first episode, no zombie virus, no herd-massacring ninja dinosaurs, no man-recycling witches, no Hulk-serum gorilla gladiators ... etc etc. Because there's no way any human would live to adulthood in this world as we see it, let alone evolve to the point of building ships and smelting manacles

e: I mean it's kind of Tartakovsky's MO to pit his heroes against impossible odds every time — Samurai Jack had to keep upping the ante every episode, to the point where it flirted with sacrificing any semblance of plausibility for the sake of chasing the awesomeness dragon — but in that case it was all justified by the premise, we knew why the world was like that. Jack was just that cool

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 6, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's such a weird mixture, like you'd have a sketch which one one hand is a song parody of "America" from West Side Story riffing on Scorsese tropes and horrific mob movie violence and on the other hand is part of an interminable continuation of tired, repetitive SNL-grade schtick of groan-inducing one-liners and catchphrases.

In the 90s post-Simpsons and post-Disney-renaissance it was all in vogue to have an animated show where critics would stroke their beards and say "it is aimed at kids but has jokes for the adults too" but as often as not it seemed like the Animaniacs writers had somehow managed to hit on a formula which would be off-putting and incomprehensible to both its potential audiences

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weeeeeeeeelll I’m the space goblin and I’m here to say, that stayin’ in school is A-OK

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And been just as confused by them and their old-person pop culture references as we were

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Re: Big Mouth S4, +1 on Future Jay’s Daym Drops beard

E: also I just saw Loving and holy crap I had no idea how much of a self portrait Nick Kroll’s self insert is

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Desperate Character posted:

Netflix did pick up Tuca and Bertie but no idea when it’ll premiere it’s second season due to the pandemic

Oh it did?? Hell yeah

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I missed the "well as" in that sentence and was like, drat that's a powerful crossover

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just want it to be possible to turn off the audio of the autoplaying full-screen previews

gently caress you netflix, all you're doing is making me just exit the app entirely when I'm done watching something so I can avoid hearing the full-volume trailer for whatever my cursor is on

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Classy Devil posted:

:siren: Netflix actually does have an option for disabling auto-previews, as of last February: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/02/praise-the-algorithm-netflix-lets-you-opt-out-of-loud-autoplaying-previews/.:siren:

Weirdly you can only change that setting from a browser, so if you're watching it on a Roku, a console, or some other streaming device you'll never see that option. Works on a per-profile basis too, so you can just change yours in the event you share an account with some monster who likes the auto-previews.

Mother of gently caress. THANK YOU.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

Mother of gently caress. THANK YOU.

Correction: this doesn't seem to do anything. God DAMMIT

e: never mind, you have to sign out and back in. lol

e2: course now you can't see previews/trailers AT ALL, through any procedure. l-triple-mao

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 20, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I got blueballed on Final Space by seeing the whole first season while visiting a friend a couple of years ago, and then I never got to see anything past like S2E4 because it wasn't available on any of the services I have post-cable-cutting. Netflix doesn't have it in the US. Seems like it's in that Primal zone where buying it ala carte is the only real option :argh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Marvin spends eternity parking cars and it only makes him more bitter, but not sure that's an exception

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s crazy how many legendary comedies are so beloved in large part due to the simple combination of simple sight gags + high-density. Like you don’t need every joke to be New Yorker level brainiac discourse, you just need one humorous lyrical thread to weave through the episode while you just pepper your audience with something silly every 30 seconds.

When you watch a show like Harvey Birdman or Bojack Horseman, everyone at the water cooler notices a different background sight gag, which drives conversation and invites rewatches, which is how you create fandoms.

The verbal equivalent is probably Venture Bros, which employs a longform visual sight gag (the cast are all hilariously dressed caricatures) but the script is just bombing you with so many references that everyone gets something extra out of it, but we all get Orpheus allowing exactly one pudding before bed as a baseline.

The "so fast-paced and joke-dense there's no way you can get it all in one viewing or with the subtitles off" style seems to have been a hallmark of 2000-2015 or so; I think things might be slowing down just a tad from the ATHF/Archer/Harvey Birdman/VB/Bojack heyday (though Big Mouth has the same kind of energy). Oddly, stuff like Final Space feels a bit more contemplative, if just because the (season-long) plots take longer to play out and feel like there's more story you ought to be paying attention to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mm, maybe. I feel that since so many of those machine-gun-fire shows came out of the Adult Swim machine, they were trying to resonate with the late-teens-early-20s "lol stoned college kids" crowd of the 00's, not the nearly-30-somethings who had grown up on classic Simpsons.

I can't say whether that cohort actually has that much faster a sense of humor than the Simpsons-raised ones though, or if [as] just like ... assumed they did.