Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah zombie simpsons can put out like 1 or 2 decent episodes a season now, as opposed to their old average of 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Edgerunners is great, but yeah it has a sexualized child presenting character because of course a Trigger Studio production has to have their "fan service" gross poo poo. Anime is tiresome with its baggage.

The fan service character isn't critical to the story at all, and the series would be infinitely improved if they just left it out. But gotta pander to the mass of pervs.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finally caught up on the 3 episode premiere of Scavengers Reign, also totally hooked. It's surprising how much this is my jam. Getting some stylistic influences from Nausicaa and other classics. The little moments with life on the planet are great, the character arcs seem to be good, the 2D animation is great, the vibes of everything is on point.

Definitely not just a trippy experience or whatever, look into it if you're a fan of sci-fi.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Think it's supposed to be a survivor from a prospecting mission before the Demeter, the person who carved out the memorial for whoever John was.

I don't think anyone's been fully replaced yet, just that one attempt on Sam.

The alien goop taking over Levi is just giving it sentience, and then channelling the personality of its creator Fiona, for better or worse, so far worse.

God drat Scavengers Reign is good. I love the orchestra soundtrack and how weird and disturbing it can get. The space vignettes were great, very 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

And it's STILL not loving broadcast here in in the UK. They need to fix that. Hasn't got many reviews on IDMB either which does suggest not many people are watching.

Feel like they really botched the distribution of this, only being on one of the lesser-subscribed services and in only one country. I feel like a lot more people would be into Scavangers Reign if they could get their eyes on it. It might show up elsewhere later, but it loses the zeitgeist of the initial release.

Oh and in case anyone was worried that zombie simpsons was going anywhere, last night was zombie as hell.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

How dare no one remind me that scavengers reign released 3 more episodes.

The three episodes released at a time is a bit weird. I know I'm going to want to watch all three in a row, so I have to wait until I have time to watch all three. Each three episode chunk has been great to watch though, so maybe they're on to something.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

It's pretty wild how few ratings Scavenger's Reign has on IMDB. I think also when they (IF THEY) release it to the rest of the world it's going to suffer because people will have watched it elsewhere. I'm kinda surprised none of the replies to his tweet are people asking why it's not out outside of the US but maybe they don't wanna accidentally admit they've pirated it, I dunno.

It's gotta be the limited audience in the states. And not to generalize american stereotypes, but the show might have more uptake with an american audience if there were more Kris style characters and less Ursula style characters. They're not shooting the aliens with guns enough.

It being on a tertiary network doesn't help either.

I worry that you're right that the show won't get any sort of big release anywhere with the way it's being slowly unfurled. I feel like the show will get some slowly built up (limited) popularity from word of mouth, like how it's happening in this thread and surprising us with how good it is. But it's never going to have its Tiger King moment where everyone is watching and talking about it everywhere.

Taear posted:

Also it's Polyanna Macintosh! Which is cool.

Forgive my ignorance, but who? Why? I feel pretty out of the loop with a lot of the cast. Only just started watching Loki for Wunmi Mosaku, and didn't realize Levi is Maeby from Arrested Development.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

My worry with it being slow burn is that they'll cancel it. Especially in the current climate

At first I got the feeling of a contained mini-series, which I would still be happy enough with. But the way the last few episodes have fleshed out the world with more scavangers has made me think about how the series could be expanded upon. I hope that there's enough muster to continue with something.

And cheers for the context on Polyanna McIntosh! I'm not on that side of the atlantic so that makes sense. I also haven't started the sequel series to Vikings yet, so I'll look forward to seeing her in that when I get around to it. The Woman sounds interesting though, probably going to check that out sometime.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Started watching Blue Eye Samurai, really good so far, that training montage with that guitar riff felt pretty out of place though.

Holy poo poo that blade quenching scene looked amazing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's definitely some of the best 3D animation I've seen that isn't some pixar thing. The facial expressions are great too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Seriously, check out Blue Eye Samurai if you are a fan of the artistic medium of animation, regardless of the setting and themes. Be ready for lots of boobs and dicks, little to no actual sex though.

Only half way through, savouring this one. That assassination plot of the deaf-mute girl was super engaging and had me wondering until the end, such a fantastic show.

E: Show isn't really anime, ignore this weeb vvv

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 8, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There definitely were some interesting developments in the Scavengers Reign finale, space catholics and baby levis have pretty big implications, along with everything else going on, like Kamen surviving in what is now Demetertown.

I could definitely watch another season of this, but I would be content if it was left at what it was.

Now to finish up the other surprisingly good adult animation that came out of left field lately with Blue Eye Samurai.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tree-hugging space catholics? Well poo poo.

I finally finished up Blue Eye Samurai as well. It gets a fair bit more anime when Mizu raids Fowler's castle, but a lot of that sequence was so fun, especially loved Mizu falling through the floor to the kitchen, splashing her face with water, and running up to try again, maintaining the third perspective of the sequence. Also a fair bit more actual sex getting sprinkled in as they deal with shittier higher officials, still all tastefully done though. The build up to the finale and the result of it all, so good. Was not expecting the season 2 teaser to take Mizu to london though, if they do it as well as they did this first season it could still be really fun.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I feel like I've gotten mixed signals on how successful Scavengers Reign has been. I haven't seen a lot of buzz, but apparently it was in the top 3 shows viewed on Max?

It's a rapidly growing fishhypnotoad in a very small pond. We all hope it can leap into some bigger ponds.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I just took that as recognizing the relative briefness of human life compared to Levi.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well gently caress.

I guess I gotta watch this.

Yes, yes you do. So does everyone else holding out in this thread.

Seems weird to me to get hit by this one-two punch of animation masterpieces with Scavengers Reign and Blue Eye Samurai. At least Blue Eye Samurai is easy to recommend to anyone as a netflix product.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you posters that are not already fans of Scott Pilgrim voicing their indifference to this new version of it. I got too much other stuff to watch that has a better chance of interesting me, so I'll just keep ignoring it. Thankfully the thread seems to be self-correcting and going back to fawning over Blue Eye Samurai and Scavengers Reign instead.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Does Scavengers Reign get better past the first episode?
I didn't really like that one. I guess it felt to melancholic?

It does, I did notice that I wasn't exactly hooked with the first episode, more so bewildered. It was the second episode that made me feel like I had a grasp of what was going on and was all for it. The show was released in 3-episode chunks that seemed to work well for pacing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I was immediately repulsed by the idea of Mizu in London, but the more I thought about it, and how well the first season was done, I'm definitely interested in a follow up.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I took my time watching, but finally finished BES, this was so much better than all of you made it seem. The assault of the fortress was just amazingly badass. This whole show was on another level. Outstanding.

I mean there's been how many posts now like this? Dunno how else the thread can get people to watch it :v:

Seriously if you have any prejudice against Blue Eye Samurai (netflix animation, animation set in japan, whatever) drop that poo poo ASAP and get to watching it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Big swing is a bit of an oversell. There were definitely some unexpected developments in the finale though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It is true that a layer of mysticism is removed once they start opening the world with other scavengers, but it's all in service of a greater narrative and it works for me. I don't need or want the series to be just constant alien exploration.

That little dude kinda jumped the shark with the bizarre alien stuff.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Blue Eye Samurai is a series that transcends its medium a bit, so it definitely deserves to have its own thread, as a standout TV series.

I feel kind of similar about Scavengers Reign, but I'm waiting for a wider distribution of that before I feel like it warrants a thread.

Really I thought this thread was mainly for talking about the sitcom type stuff like Simpsons et al. But there's so many great animated series of all types these days.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rayman is a washed up drunk, it's kinda fun.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I watched both Scavengers Reign and Blue Eye Samurai as they were coming out, and watched Pantheon right after. It was a pretty :pcgaming: couple of months.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They made bart wear pants. Post-zombie simpsons has its ups and downs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean, it depends on what you're talking about. It's entirely possible that he wasn't able to think normal when the LATER weird poo poo happened to him, which made it harder for him to go "Hey, there's a chance something weird might be happening to me."

I did take this as totally typical I'M FINE toxic masculinity bullshit, not alien brain worms bullshit.