Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Not enough people have watched Kamen Rider Kuuga. It's neither animation nor for adults but it's a more sober and considered "serious superhero story" than anything that's been made stateside in the past 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I really loved the Venture Bros. For S1-5, but then I feel like it drops off a cliff very sharply, and wasn’t really into the final season pretty much at all. The show really feels like it’s totally divorced from everything that used to make it funny, so hopefully the movie gives it a proper sendoff.

This just sounds like the Metalacalypse finale we all thought was never coming, I’m very happy!

I think the Venture Bros got better and better and is as good as it's ever been

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The value of children's media is to expose kids to challenging ideas and even scare and upset them, while giving them straightforward fun or funny material to keep them grounded and engaged. When kid's media does a good job - when the challenging aspects are sincere and thought-provoking and the fun elements are well-executed and not cloying or obnoxious - grown-rear end adults start to think that maybe it's secretly made for grown-ups, instead of just by grown-ups.

Problems arise when media remains restrained by all-ages subject matter, tone, and production realities, but the creators are no longer actually making it with kids in mind and are moreso playing to their adult fans. That's how you get, like, Netflix Voltron.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I always found the adults in those kids' shows really compelling as a kid, maybe because the kid plots were so outlandish and at odds with my boring childhood. Tito's mom on The Weekenders, the adults in Recess and Hey Arnold, etc.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Leverage in a school is tricky because con artists only succeed by not being recognized.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Phase? Did he get over it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Best Simpsons content of the modern era:

https://twitter.com/joechoui/status/1436030573559046149?t=0Z_WbRnvXYNYMwEppRUJiQ&s=19

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You're thinking of this sequence from Halloween is Grinch Night.

https://youtu.be/KeFaBvL72a8

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Venture Bros' success in it's later seasons comes from a holistic approach to integrating character development. That sounds like buzzwords but what I mean is that all the jokes and parody elements from the early show are continuously recontextualized as the show develops, creating really compelling, tragic, funny characters and scenarios.

Unfortunately, because of the dearth of female characters in the early show, this process - which is not nearly as effective at creating new, deep characters - perpetuates the sausagefest. Oh well. poo poo happens.

Anyway every season of VB is better than the one before it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Promare has Mad Burnish, who aren't eco-terrorists but are a rare case of the queer-coded violent terrorist extremists actually being 100% right and the liberal protag throwing his lot in with them wholeheartedly to dismantle a fascist apparatus.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That's the romantic fantasy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

AMC just announced that the finished second season of Pantheon won't be aired or released.

Das Boo, I'm so sorry.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Mystery Inc was supposed to go harder into it in the second season as well but unfortunately was cancelled.

Mystery Inc wasn't cancelled. It ran 52 episodes completing its entire intended story arc, including Velma's love interest as far as american television animation before Obergefell could possibly hope to.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Uuugh that "found family" catchphrase almost makes me want to like the Velma show out of spite.

Almost.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't want to start a fight or anything, but I think a lot of people have yet to unlearn orientalism enough to just take anime on faith as being what it seems like. Generally speaking, if you're laughing at something in an anime, the target audience over in Japan is too, and for the same reasons.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh I'm not talking about Neo Yokio in specific, I mean more like "does Hideo Kojima not understand that his own games are funny" and stuff like that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Phil Lord is a gusano

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I wish I could like those shows, but my personal run-ins with the creator back when she was a student left some sour taste and I never really looked back. It was the same for Owl House, and Kirbopher, etc.

I mean, I hope that they're not the way I encountered them back then, but that's just how human memory and emotion works.

Onto another subject entirely – anyone else check out Pobre diablo aka Poor Demon on HBO Max?
The animation is pretty choppy, but there's potential in there.

Well Kirbopher is a huge creep and serial abuser

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

trump getting elected absolutely annihilated some people's brains and, feeling powerless in the face of rising fascism, sought out vulnerable targets to blame and offload their misery onto. steven universe, a show about forming a better internal understanding of your lovely parents who don't respect your gender and who are okay with war crimes, was hit especially hard by this, because that wasn't a story 19 year olds home for the holidays with their fascist parents wanted to receive from their escapist children's cartoon.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The demand that Steven Universe didactically instruct tweens to blow up pipelines and kill their conservative parents was maybe not fair, as cool as a show like that would be. The insinuation that SU was pro-fascist propaganda was completely deranged. It was a personal story Sugar was telling about their fantasies about conflict resolution and human connection.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The newest Dragon Ball movie is all about Piccolo and Gohan's relationship and it rules.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Apparently this is happening??

https://twitter.com/CCNCartoonNews/status/1641099586499477507?t=ZllmOHbh8fZDaXNW2QFXig&s=19

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The year 3023, featuring topical humor from the year 2019

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The rest of the cast leaps off the page and Scott doesn't. That's all it ever was.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I like Gurren Lagann, but it's sexist and homophobic as all get out. Particularly given that spiral power is machismo / big dick energy, and then they decide to extend the metaphor when a character dies by getting drilled through the butt.

i think the more interesting/fraught/evil politics of Gurren Lagann is that it's hard to ignore how much the struggle to be free of lordgenome and the population control/containment policies of the anti-spirals evoke Japan becoming a client-state and being forcibly demilitarized by the united states after the war.

Of course, japan-as-client-state is an absolutely horrendous status quo irl - look at the unaccountably abusive behavior of US servicemembers stationed in Japan - but it's also a powerful motivator for the same right-wing parties that push for remilitarization while denying imperial war crimes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's an attempt to do spider-verse on the cheap

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Larryb posted:

So is anyone in the Scott Pilgrim show besides Mae Whitman a professional voice actor out of curiosity? They don’t do a terrible job or anything but you can tell from some of the performances that a lot of them are more used to on camera work

Jason Schwartzman has been doing voice acting for decades.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Pantheon, did Season 2 ever officially air anywhere in the world or was it just leaked onto the internet after the show was unceremoniously cancelled?

Fantastic show regardless though, would definitely recommend if anyone hasn’t seen it yet (unfortunately the only way to watch it I’m aware of is to resort to piracy)

It was briefly available on Amazon Prime video but only in Australia.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's almost certainly less exciting than that. Pantheon was the pet project of a previous executive team at AMC and when those executives moved on, the new team had negative interest in Pantheon being a success.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What does "waste of time" mean?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I watched "A Serious Flanders" last night and had a really good time with it. The biggest advantage the Simpsons has right now is that their characters are so well-established that you can tell really efficient genre stories with them in limited runtimes. This is how things like The Shinning worked so well. I think "shallow 7 minute parody of a specific pop cultural artifact" is a dead end, but middle-form genre pastiche could be a really healthy venue, especially as an incubator for animators and writers.

It's also important to remember that The Simpsons is one of the only animated programs to be produced under WGA Guild conditions. If it went away, it'd be a huge setback for labor in the industry.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The official DC comics party line is that Superman lacks any invulnerability to magic. Various adaptations and less-canon-devoted writers have interpreted this as a particular vulnerability to magic, often for the sake of adding spice to any battles with Captain Marvel.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dungeon Meshi is a Dungeons & Dragons inspired series. One of the ways it is such a great adaptation of a tabletop campaign is that it integrates the comedy of tabletalk and poor rolls into the characterization and storytelling in a really healthy and robust way.

Every great tabletop campaign has elements of comedy and bathos because tabletop gaming is deeply intimate and vulnerable and also really goofy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think Dungeon Meshi is absolutely incredible as source material and as an adaptation but people sleep on the Gridman shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Believe it!